Are you upgrading to the iPhone 3Gs?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by marlenedegrood, Jun 15, 2009.

1. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

I've only used about 6 months of my 2 year contract on my iPhone 3G but I'm still thinking about springing for the new 3Gs. AT&T says it will cost me $299 for an 8gig and $399 for the 16gig. Anyone else upgrading?

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

nope i'm not. not unless they want to let me upgrade for the upgrade price

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    All pre order 3GS iphones have been taken :/

I have a 1st gen iphone on a go phone plan and I was planning on upgrading near the end of the month, once I save up for that sweet sweet 32gb

4. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    #4 CBraun53, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    The 8 gig is not a 3Gs it's a 3G. The 3Gs comes in 16gb and 32gb.

From AT&T, but not from Apple.

I've been going back and forth between getting one and not getting one, and I finally decided tonight to order one.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Waiting a month to make sure there are no bad batches... Then I'll be getting the 32gb. I have been wary of getting rid of my 2g, I love the metal casing soo much compared to the glossy 3gs, but I can't pass this up especially that I'm eligible for my upgrade pricing. Anyone know the best way to protect these phones? I see most of my friends have small little pits in the plastic....

7. CBraun53

Jul 14, 2008
    #7 CBraun53, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    Smart thinking. My day 1 first gen has a horrible speaker (worse than other first gens). Too bad I'm not as patient as you.

8. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I am, i'm going from a 16GB Black 3G to a 32GB White 3GS...

pretty excited, I preordered it on Friday, so it should be here this coming Friday...

9. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    LoL, well it's not exactly patience...
    I was expecting the release to be around July 17th (Based on rumors)...
    So I budgeted myself to get the new iPhone in July, not ready to spend $300 this month, so really I'm just using that as an excuse for waiting... :p

My boss did give me off on Fri though, so I just may wind up in a line somewhere... :rolleyes: ..... We'll see..

10. marlenedegrood

You are right ... I missed that. Ok then .... guess I'll be going for the $399 16 gig. I too will wait until the reviews come in but it's so tempting. I wonder what plans are in the works for the next uprgraded iPhone.

11. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    It's funny you ask that, I have been contemplating skipping this one (3Gs) for next years model as my 2G is still in prefect condition... I have been seriously thinking about it and I decided since I skipped the 3G i might as well go for the 3Gs, I really want the GPS and video...

Now since I know I won't be getting the next years model because I'll be under contract I had to make an educated guess on what it most likey will have and what I'll be missing out on....

My guess is the next one will bring the OLED screen, front facing camera, and maybe better speakers. then again since the 3Gs isn't exactly a whole new rendition of the 3G, next years might really blow the 3Gs out of the water, and be totally groundbreaking... That's what I'm afraid of...

12. marlenedegrood

I keep thinking that I should also wait until the next upgrade. I have 2 3G iPhones in my family and it gets kinda expensive to upgrade both every year. I would guess that in a few months the rumors will hit the web on what's in store for the next iPhone.

13. slipster216@gmail.com

[email protected] Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Game Developer
    Boston, mass
    I was thinking the same thing and began the ordering process but backed out. Those of us with first gen iPhones pay $10 less for our data plans than those with the 3g. So while the phone upgrade would only be $200, I'd pay an additional $240 over a two year contract for the upgrade. No thanks..

14. slipster216@gmail.com

[email protected] Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Game Developer
    Boston, mass
    Maybe, but considering the 3GS supports an entirely new processor, twice the memory, and a shader capable GPU, I'd expect it to be a minor upgrade next year in terms of performance.

15. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    That's what I hope for!

And yea sucks we are going to pay for a higher data plan coming off the 2G, but for me it'll be ok,
    1. I can finally watch my streaming Orb TV wherever I am, (Orlando has decent enough 3G coverage) Cable TV FTW!...
    2. GPS is a must for me, and don't know how I went this long without it...

So really i just see the extra $10 being for the GPS, and for me, that's worth it...

16. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Actually, I'd kind of expect the opposite. Apple will always upgrades the internals enough to make it a worthwhile decision in their mind... yet the upgrades for this phone are for most part nominal. Yeah the gpu thing is cool, but it will be some time before there are "must have" games available for just the 3gs.

Add to that the fact that by next year, AT&T will be going gangbusters with their 4g network to replace the already aging 3g... and you may find more reasons to wait. Hopefully they will also have their upgrade pricing plans a little friendlier by then.

Just my opinion, but as a 3g owner I'm content to wait it out.

17. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I use this thing a ton, more than I do my comp at home (work i have no control over)

So I figure it's kind of like a computer, and for me with a $2500 MBP, it's only 1/5 of the price.. The computer at this point i have no reason to upgrade (i've grown up and don't play games much, maybe Spore randomly)

So I will definitely be buying the next gen iPhone when it comes out, unless all it does is increase space...

But yeah, i'm really looking forward to Friday to pick up my new toy!

18. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #18 f e a r l e s s, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
    Not upgrading until AT&T drops 3G price. 3G coverage is perfect in my area according to AT&T's map. In reality, it sucks! My buddy's have the 3G and they're on EDGE most of the time. Crappiest thing is when you do have 3G and as soon as you start using the internet it goes to EDGE. I'm not paying for 3G with EDGE speeds! I still have the original iPhone in perfect working condition and I'm not buying a plastic phone. Dropping AT&T as soon as my contract is over and just gonna wait for a new iPod Touch.

19. CBraun53

Jul 14, 2008
    From what I've read, we will be lucky if AT&T has decent coverage on 3.5g let alone a 4g network by next year. Saying that they will be going full forward with their 4g network by next year is very wishful thinking. So even if Apple comes out with a 4g iPhone next June, people will be in the same situation that they are in now (having technology that is not very useful yet) and could just wait for the next iPhone and so on and so on.

However, I agree that if I had a 3g already I probably wouldn't upgrade to the 3Gs.

20. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

one thing that I love about chicago and the neighboring regions, is the 3g coverage is outstanding. i went to orlando, and other regions and it was horrible, however I am more than happy with the coverage they provide around here. plus there is a tower less than a quarter of a mile from my house that gives me great coverage even in my basement. it gives me hope that 3.5 and 4 will be very abundant around here.