Are there any good French reference apps on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by MasterChief3624, Oct 4, 2010.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm in a French class right now, and would love to have an app that has flashcards, conjugations, maybe a dictionary, and all the stuff you would really need to study for an exam and such, all in one place.

Are there any good French reference applications for the iPhone that would meet this criteria?

2. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm going to go ahead and bump this. I've been looking everywhere and still can't find the right app D:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

3. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #3 tsharpfilm, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to be staying in France for awhile next year, and I need a refresher course! Oh how great would it be if Rosetta Stone made an iOS app? :)

Edit: What the hell... They DO have an app!
    Discover French

I'm not sure how good it is. Reviews show complaints about lack of content and crashing. That's kind of typical for the App Store though. On a positive note, it was literally just updated.

Here are some other promising options:
    Byki French
    uTalk HD
    AccelaStudy® French | English

4. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Wow tsharp. Thank you so much for the help. I'll look into all these apps, and that Rosetta Stone app looks wonderful. Might be just what I'm looking for. If you pick up any of these, I'd love to hear some personal feedback from you, if you get the chance :D

Thank you again. :)

5. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #5 tsharpfilm, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
    You're welcome. :)

Here are a few paragraphs from a review I'm working on --

Of the French training programs I've researched, Byki French and AccelaStudy are two of the best. Both programs currently suffer from crash bugs, but they kind of make up for this with their content.

Byki French is my favorite of the two because it's packed to the brim with features, and is $2 less than most of its competition. During lessons you can slow down the French audio so the pronunciations are easier to understand. You can look up French words on Twitter in the app to see how they're used in real world conversations. And the lessons are very systematic.

Each lesson, or list, is divided into 4 parts: Step 1) See the English and French word/phrase. Step 2) See French word and come up with English. Step 3) See English word and come up with French. Step 4) Multiple choice quiz.

Once you finish the dozens of lessons included in the app, you can download more lesson lists for free from the website. But this is where the problems started to happen... On my 4th gen iPod touch with iOS 4.1, the app crashed at the competition of almost every download. And during the 3 hours I've been studying with it, it has crashed once at the search menu, and once during a lesson.

Unfortunately, AccelaStudy isn't any better. In fact, the lite version I tried crashed more. At least Byki French was able to behave, for the most part, during the lessons so I could get through them. Most of the crashes happened while trying to download a list.

If you're able to tolerate the occasional crash, Byki French is great. But if you don't feel like waiting for iOS or Byki to fix the stability issues, uTalk HD and French 101 are okay alternatives.

6. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    And one more thing... Coffee Break French is a great podcast! Hundreds of French language lessons, for free! :eek: Look it up on iTunes.

7. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    I will check out that podcast.

Thank you for the feedback :) So out of those you listed, you would suggest Byki French more, even though it crashes frequently when downloading packets?

Is there a mode on it where you can take a practice test on it? Maybe a test for pronunciation?

Have you had a chance to try out Rosetta Stone's app, too?

8. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    De rien (you're welcome). :)

Oui. It has the most content and features, and it gives both the casual and formal way of saying certain phrases. Rosetta Stone, according to the reviews I've read, focuses only on the formal.

No, but French 101 and French 103 do come with written tests.

Unfortunately no. I've been using free voice recognition apps for that. Lol. Dragon Dictation, the search in the Google App, etc. I figure, if they can understand me, I must be doing alright. :D

Not yet. Maybe you could bite the bullet for us and give it a try? Haha. Or maybe not.

9. Infamous97

Infamous97 Well-Known Member

French apps

non good french apps

10. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Lol. You may be right. All the French apps I've looked into either lack intermediate or advanced content (according to their reviews) or have crash problems. If you want something that'll really push your fluency forward, you'd probably be better off getting a full sized application.

The Coffee Break French podcast is still really good though.

I'm going to keep looking.

11. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    No. Nobody likes the frenchs :p

j/k

12. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Je vois, je vois.

I usually prefer formal ways of speaking at the start, but it would be good to learn the casual forms as well, I'm guessing? :p

Lol that sounds like a fun thing to do (voice recognition software). I shall try that a little bit :cool:

I just might bite the bullet on it. I can't find much on it anyways, and I figure, "It's only $10... at least I'm not 'biting the bullet' on a full-on Rosetta Stone product, which can go upwards of $800! D:" :p

I'm nearing the end of my first semester of French in college, so I'm hoping whichever apps I get help me learn new things, but more importantly sharpen my skills on things I've already learned (which honestly, I've probably only learned like 5% XD). I will definitely pick up the Rosetta Stone app and report back with my findings :D (though it's going to be a busy week or two, so forgive me if it takes a while for said impressions :p)

Merci encore pour tes recommendations :D

13. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    After about a week of research, I've finally made up my mind on which program I'm going to stick with for my lessons.

Rocket French!
    http://learn.rocketlanguages.com/french/premium/

It's not available for iOS, but it's one of the best approaches I've found for learning French. It's a bit fast, but very thorough, and affordable.

Another good option is Fluenz French:
    http://www.fluenz.com/languages/french/learn-french/index.html

Oui.

I've been talking to some French fellows. They say it doesn't really matter. Either way, most French speaking people would commend you for at least trying to learn their language.

Be warned, it's not full Rosetta Stone.

From a Rosetta Stone employee I talked to: "The "Discover French" app is good for someone going to France whom is not staying too long. It's more designed towards someone that wants some basics before they visit."

No rush.

De rien. :)