Are the forums getting too strict?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by pablo19, Jan 12, 2009.

1. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    True. That's why trolls need to be banned, and offensive posts need to be reported. I can understand that a small group of frequent visitors gets annoyed by a lot of similar topics, but that doesn't mean they should immediately yell at people. It's not something they'd do in real life either. At least, that's what I hope. The forum is not just their (our) place, it's also for new members. The best we can do is ask them politely to take a look at how things are going here and not just post a few messages in the Pocket God thread and immediately ask "how many posts do I need to make to become a senior member?" - not the best way to introduce yourself.

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #42 Coldar, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
    I'd was just addressing this issue when a newbie's first sentence was "Please don't hate me" in regards to posting in the games forum. So thought to cut/paste my thoughts here as well.

First off let me address the "don't hate me" sentence in your beginning post. This is directed more to my fellow TA members.
    To me these words are reflective of how some people think when wanting to post nowadays. I believe some newcomers are very wary/afraid to even post now because of some of the receptions that have been witnessed in regards to posting. I agree some are repetitive but how we treat those people initially makes people with valid questions not want to post or very wary of doing so. It is so common now to get a quick, curt, rude, obnoxious, or totally unrelated response/comment within the first couple posts (if not the 1st one) especially when its from a newbie. Now we're seeing/reading outright threats and verbal attacks taking place. Hope it doesn't become the norm. Arn will be busy closing/locking alot of threads if so. Just think we need to be a little more friendlier in directing/suggesting the alternatives and above all........be patient. Sorry....but had to speak up on this. (present company (so far) excluded from within this thread)

3. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Nobody should have to start their posts off with that kind of a qualifier.

Hence my low post count.