Are the forums getting too strict?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by pablo19, Jan 12, 2009.

1. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    #1 pablo19, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    Hey, I'm just coming back from the closed down wallpaper thread, my favorite thread on Toucharcade and i'm sure many others share my opinion. But what I wanted to ask about what people's opinion is on the way the mods are handling these types of threads. I want to try and not complain too much, or make this a complaining about moderators thread. they are doing a great job at closing threads which might create some really intense discussion not based on games or apps. The blog they have is fantastic, their responses to pm's are very fast etc.

What I want to get at here is that more than half of the people at toucharcade complain about threads like "game X vs. game Y" most use those threads to say how stupid the person asking is, for not being able to decide. But when there is some private or stupid talk going on the posts are deleted and the sometimes even funny conversations stop.

A) how annoyed are people by stupid conversation posts?
    -I personally like them there usually entertaining and give the people on touch arcade a more real feeling, that you are actually talking to a person instead of a machine.

B) How welcome do you think new members are at toucharcade?
    - Most of them start out with a post like "I have X money, what should I get" and people start bashing them for that and asking for them to get banned. I'd rather those threads get closed and the member get a pm saying that some people can't stand those types of threads because there already are 234 filled with complains.

P.S: Maybe I'm just a bit pissed here, and it'll go away with time. I feel like the threads are becoming too straight forward. I want some feedback on this from moderators, from first time posters, from any member on touch arcade.

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Personally, I'm not annoyed by the X vs Y threads. The market changes fast, so recommendations do too.

As for the wallpaper thread, I think that it was of topic way too often, nice wallpapers got buried under pages of posts.

Also Arn said that he was looking into dealing with the promo code topics, so I have no complaints. :)

3. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I don't disagree, but a lot of people are annoyed and new members are getting bashed for not knowing.

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    i asked arn why he closed the wallpapers thread but did not reply. i think he closed it because he believes it belongs in the lounge forum not the apps forum.

5. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I think the problem is that it is a new community. Yes it is a bit on the strict side. Mostly on the confused side, IMO. I even got a warning yesterday, something I haven't gotten in forever on a message board.

Not to mention that the iPhone attracts the wrong kind of people. The immature 13 year olds (yes I know not everyone is a 13 year old here).

Go on a blackberry forum, you won't find the craziness. That is because the iPhone is THE device right now and it just attracts the wrong kind of people, which bugs me a lot. Apple makes fantastic products but they have become a trend now.

I think Arn made a decent effort with the rules and mod additions, but it's not quite there yet. Look at the iLounge forums for example. They have pretty much EVERYTHING laid out for you.

Another factor is that we are just new and there aren't enough posters who quite set an example for everyone else. Or rather, the noobs outnumber the regulars.

Hopefully everything gets better once the forums are sorted out better and the iPhone craziness dies off a bit. I blame the promo code madness since that really only attracts young kids who don't have credit cards and people will do just about anything for free stuff

6. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    @danny
    He could have just moved it. But a reason for closing it would be nice to hear.

@rootbeersoup
    -I agree with you, I;m actually only 15. Some younger people are in fact very annoying in forums, but there shouldn't be a stereotype created here. I also agree with there being less regulars than new members, especially now after the holidays. There are just some things that don;t seem necessary to me. But you are right the forum is still "young" and I guess well just have to give it time.

7. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    These problems are not uncommon in many forums. I think part of the problem is that a forum system by nature allows anyone to post anything. Some of the best forums are highly structured and so you can only post in 'approved' topics - for example blog comments are related to the topic posted (yes they can deviate at times).

But then of course if you do that you remove the freedom to discuss other items that may actually be worthwhile to discuss.

8. #8 wastedyuthe, Jan 12, 2009

Hi Pablo.

A) I personally am not too bothered about 'stupid conversation' posts so long as we get back onto topic after a few of them. I agree that with these odd posts, it gives us all chance to get to know each other a little better. I haven't deleted any that follow the rules (ie no offensive language etc).

B) I don't like 'bashing' new members- but if they don't follow the rules, I ask that they read them.

9. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    #9 TheOnePb, Jan 12, 2009
    Strickt?

First of all: don't say all new/young members are here for free stuff & flooding!
    I'm may be younger than all of you and I joined yesterday, but I think I'm not as most* of my age. *(I do not want to offend anyone)

Second: this is not the only forum that has these problems.
    Solutions are simple: 2 warnings -still causing trouble? Ban!
    Subforum for mods, devs and senior members to discuss the behavioir of other members.
    Subforum for promo codes.
    Forum-plugin that automaticly combines 2 posts of 1 member after double post.
    Forum-plugin that (this is hard to explain...) shows you a list of tiltles that you want to give your thread. For example (!examples!): User007 made a thread called 'Exampletitlecheck, new game, out'.
    Now another member adds a new threadand sees there's already a thread about exampletitlecheck, and now he sees a link and can post his comment there.

All problems solved? No
    Most problems solved? Yea!:)

TheOnePb

10. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

But why was the longest thread ever closed? It could have been moved or something, but arn closed it. Is it possible to reopen the thread?

11. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    arn; please tell us why. it could have been moved and it is possible to reopen it.

12. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    @ Wastedyuthe

Thanks for posting, What's the comunication between moderators do you send each other pm's or do you do what your told, how does that work?

@TheOnePb

Firstly I agree with you that there shouldn't be a stereotype against younger users but you have to admit we can sometimes be a real pain in the ass for more experienced members. I agree with all your points on how to make the forums better even though I don't know how viable they are.

@ Brewstermax

The reason in my opinion was that Arn (or whoever closed it) was annoyed by the side conversations we were having. Although I would love to hear the real reasoning.

13. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I never posted in your thread Pablo19, I did lurk it occasionally. I saw no harm in it but then again, who am I? It actually gave you guys something constructive to do when things were slow, and me some neat wallpapers t;)o look at.

14. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I agree, that's really a nice way of putting it, there were complains about not finding the wallpapers you wanted but people could ask and we'd either re-post them or just tell them which page it was on.

Back on topic, how do you viable do you think the things TheOnePb posted are? In my opinion they would really help. Did Arn ever coment on the promo code subforum or the avatars?

15. Your welcome. I don't want any hard feelings between members and admin/mods.

We have our own forum section where we can discuss things or receive information/instruction from Arn. But basically, we all know the rules and just try to make sure the forums are sticking to those rules.
    For example, the rules do state that the topic can indeed stray, but we must strive to try and keep them on topic as much as possible.

16. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Good to know, thanks! Have the other admins ever mentioned changes in the structure of the subforums or any other topic being discussed in the feedback section?

17. #17 wastedyuthe, Jan 12, 2009
    Obviously I can't go into detail about what has been discussed. It is Arns job to make any statements he deems necessary in these matters.

18. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Ok, thanks anyways ;)

19. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Yes, if Arn wants. ;)

I don't think these forums are strict. All Arn asks is that you keep everything within a certain limit. (Staying on topic, posting in the right forum section, don't flame ETC.)

And quite honestly the wallpaper thread was in the wrong section... Really only 25% of those posts were about wallpapers. :rolleyes:

20. I believe the some of the wallpapers themselves stopped being based on apps too.