Are others having trouble logging into GC?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LordGek, Nov 4, 2015.

1. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I restored completely and didn't use the iCloud backup and didn't even sign in to iCloud and Gamecenter worked for 2 days then I crashed again. So it's not iCloud related.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm curious, did all of us infected have HUGE libraries of GC enabled games, like in the range of several hundred games (even if not currently installed on our devices)?

I wonder if we just hit some sort of wall in the Game Center entries and that, even though it is supposed to be unlimited, we managed to break it? :p

Another theory, did this happen to anybody with bigger RAMs, like iPad Air's 2 gigs or more? I also wonder if it might be some sort of RAM issue. Previous to the complete meltdown, I've had a lot of GC enabled games, like the Earthcore CCG, just die on me the SECOND GC loaded on the startup screen. I never knew if it was because I had way too many people as GC pals (around 500), too many game entries, or if it was as simple as my iPad Air's 1 gig of RAM wasn't able to handle my overall bloated GC.

3. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    On one of my restores I didn't log into iCloud and Gamecenter. Then I created a new gamecenter account and it still froze up 2 days later.

My real gamecenter account has only 50 or so games on it because I delete the games that I don't have in my iPhone. So it wasn't that packed.

I have tried every scenario I can imagine and it still doesn't work, now I have given up. The Apple engineer has been trying for weeks to help and now even he has stopped emailing back. This problem seems to be infixable, which is very disappointing as I use to love to compete in the high scores on gamecenter since its inception.

4. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Also my brother has a library on his gamecenter of around 900 games and his gamecenter is working fine.

The RAM, my iPhone 6+ had 1gig of ram and it didn't work and then I got iPhone 6s and that has 2 gig of ram and that doesn't work either.

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, so it is clearly some weird shoot deep in Apple's tangled GC code.

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I have over 2000 games but only like 30 some friends. The bug also wiped every GC enabled games' review that I've written for games all the way back to 2008... Pretty shitty about that as I've written ALOT of detailed game reviews!

7. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I might try and restore my phone again and not sign into my iTunes account. I try and sign in as one of my family instead for AppStore purchases. By all my tests I don't think it's iCloud or gamecenter itself, so it only leaves the iTunes sign in.

I'll let you know how I go.

8. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Hold onto your phones lady's and gentlemen, I think i might have the answer.

Sign out of your iTunes account within the AppStore app.
    Hard reset your phone
    Try a game
    See if gamecenter logo pops up.

It seems of worked for me at the moment.

Maybe I should be an Apple Engineer!

Let me know if you have success?
    Or need more info?

9. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    False alarm people, it worked for 30 minutes. Now it's stuffed again.
    I'm out of ideas.

I might try full reset and sign into nothing but Gamecenter and see if that works.

10. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    That seems like you're on to something though... If that prompted it to work, then it doesn't appear to be a device issue.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I saw something like this when I initially upgraded to the 9.2 beta. I could bring up the GC app once again, but then, after a few minutes I tried again and it was business as usual.

I'm now on a new iPad, not because of this, but I just snagged an iPad Pro, and I'm only adding apps on 1 by 1, no restores, hopefully that will hold off the GC destroyer for a while (it's working fine for me now, I can even play Earthcore for the first time).

12. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    OK, here is an update...

I just logged into my NZ account to redoes load Rayman Adventures. When I started the game all my previous cheevos that I earned in game came streaming in GC banners across the top, one after another. I then screwed around in the game for a bit and decided to open my GC app and see how my friends were progressing in RA...lo and behold GameCenter white screened me and I decided to immediately delete Rayman to which my phone locked up.

I'll bet the one thread tying all us GC affected together is the use of multiple AppStore accounts for games with GC integration.

13. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    This is it! I knew it had something to do with AppStore accounts.

I fully restored my phone on Monday night for the 11 time and in this time I wasn't going to use multiple iTunes accounts so far everything is working fine. Keep in mind my gamecenter usually breaks 2 days after a full restore.

I am confident that this is the answer though, this is the last senario. When I logged out of the AppStore and it started to work again that was the sign it was AppStore problems.

I'm going to email the apple engineering team and they can get to finding the bug.

Great teamwork!

I'll let you guys know what happens

14. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    This is why gamecenter always worked from a from a clean restore and not really from a backup. Because my backup had soft launch games on it from other countries. All the times I restored the phone eventually I went to the Canada store and got Puzzle and Dragons because In Australia this game has not been released. I also like checking the Canada store for soft launch games.

So everyone here at TouchArcade that has the GameCenter issue you have to restore your phone back to original settings and then only use one ITunes AppStore. Don't visit other stores. At the moment this seems to be the issue.

15. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    -logout of the US app store
    -login a foreign App Store (like the canadian one)
    -get a game in their store
    -logout of the canadian store
    -login the US store
    -play the game for a bit
    -go to GameCenter and it should freeze

These are the steps to replicate the Gamecenter freezing issue.

The apple engineering team have already got back in contact with me and they are on it as we speak.

16. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Just a white screen for me when going into the app. And when entering GC ob the settings app, it just hangs up

17. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    What device, iOS, how many AppStore accounts, etc.?

18. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    The final time I did my factory reset I redownloaded Angry Birds 2 on my us account, it was my last remaining game from a foreign acct. and I've been using GC without a hitch until today...when I d/l a game with a goring not acct...makes sense.

19. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I haven't had a problem Thai time round with my full restore only on one iTunes account. I'll just stick to my Australian account and everything will be ok.

I'll inform you what the engineer says.

20. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    So yeah, that certainly pins it down, my GameCenter has gone completely out...

Headed home from work and will be factory reset/restoring. Once I'm done I'm swearing off my NZ/CA accounts. LOL.. I can wait on soft launches to go global from now on ;)