iPad Are Game Prices Too High For Some Games?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Dec 22, 2008.

1. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    K - I live in the UK, in England, and I don't know about you, but anything above £5 (around $8) of something is an expensive purchase. Of course, many of the iPod Touch/iPhone games are rather cheap ranging at around $2/£1, but I was browsing the App Store and saw i Love Katamari. It looks excellent because of the new patch, but at £5! I would buy it at first look, but £5 is a bit dear for a game that is mentioned to be slightly flawed.

Paying a sum of money for quality games isn't a problem - Rolando was bought by me instantly even at its high price, but that gamehas been said by everyone to be a classic. It's just - do you guys think that some games - looking at i Love Katamari and Crystal Defenders, that would normally be must-haves, are a bit overpriced?

(One last question - is Katamari worth getting, even for its premium price tag?)

~diffusion8r

2. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Yes. all games are completely overpriced. Who can
    afford 8$ anymore! :eek:
    I say they should all be free!

/sarcasm

3. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Maybe in America, $8 is not much, but its UK equivalent is.

When I went to America, I bought Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 for the DS, for 35$.

Over here, in England, it is at £30, which roughly translates to:

44.4542 USD

We have to pay a lot more than you do for stuff, so the sarcasm isn't really needed.

4. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

How many god damn threads are there on this site about app store prices being too high or too low?

Hero of Sparta is £5.99, God of War on PSP is about £15 still, more than twice the price. If HoS was on PSP it would sell for at least £20, why should it sell for less on iPhone?

Rolando is also £5.99, LocoRoco 2 is also about £15 still.

I'd say you're getting some bargins!!! :D

5. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I know, the prices in relation to the PSP games is massive, it's just for some games which don't deserve a high price tag that should be lowered. Hero of Sparta is amazing for what you pay, I agree with you, but can you say the same about Pac Man, or i Love Katamari?

6. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

In the UK the national average salary is most likely higher to compensate for this. Also as GBP is so rubbish at the moment that doesn't help!

OK, i see what you're saying now. I can't speak for Katamari or Pacman (neither of them interest me) but its something you have to decide really. The question is do you think the game is worth it. It doesn't matter if i think it is, because you could have a completely different idea of what you should be getting for your money.

7. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Not too sure whether the salary rate is higher, but it has always been that if you go to America, everything is a lot cheaper (no offense or anything, it's a good thing that has usually caused me to have spending sprees over there.

And yeah, I think I'll watch some videos on Katamari or wait for a price drop, as for its price I am curious on whether I will make a wise purchase. Pac Man is a no though, TBH.

8. Zander951

Zander951 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Crystal deffenders is really worth it. It will last you a while since there are 900 levels in the whole game.

9. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    But $7.99 seems to be a bit too steep for a game you can get for free elsewhere. Even if it doesn't have as many levels, saving what is quite a rough £5 and get an albeit slightly worse game but for free is a plus.

10. Zander951

Zander951 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Well if you can't afford 8 dollars then you should have an itouch or iPhone

11. InsolentDreams

InsolentDreams Well-Known Member

Man, no need to get nasty. I know a lot of people here in Southern California that have one and don't have it linked to a account with a credit card because they are a student and/or are poor. :(

I do definitely think some apps are priced way too high...

Then again, I think some apps are priced way too low and are screwing up things for other apps... so this goes both ways.

12. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I can afford eight dollars - I just don't want to spend money on something which I don't need to spend money on.

13. That's hardly the point he's making.

Yes, some games are too expensive for what they are, of course. And as others have said, it comes down to personal preference too- someone might thing a game is worth it's asking price, where as someone else won't. So if a game is too much, you either don't buy, or you wait for a sale.

14. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I agree with wastedyuthe and InsolentDreams on this. Yeah, there are some low-priced apps which screw things up for other apps (TD does not do much for other TD games out there) but some apps are overpriced because what you're getting isn't worth what you're paying for.

You could relate this to the Wii - recently Wario Ware Smooth Moves has been going for £44.99 at HMV, which is above the typical retail price for a Wii game and even at its £40 typical retail price, it is too expensive for a small minigame collection you get.

You could say the same has happened in the App Store. In the end (don't think of me just ranting about how games are too expensive and how I'm just complaining about how I don't have the money to buy stuff - hell, I could buy any app on the App Store, even the ones at $60, so I certainly have the money) I'd buy any game regardless of price if it is good, but even though I could buy games like i Love Katamari, I just think I'd feel a bit short changed if I don't get what I pay for.

15. InsolentDreams

InsolentDreams Well-Known Member

For example...

A good example of underpriced... is Lux.

The free version of Lux is on the AppStore now, and they plan on pricing the full version at $7.99 last I read on their forums and site.

I am seriously a insane fan of Risk, and if it had multiplayer and their full array of maps as the desktop version of Lux, I would GLADLY pay $20 for this app on the AppStore. Gladly. As it is I have logged at least a few hundred games (about 95% I win) of this game and I plan to continue to do so.

Also, a lot of games are being underpriced by people in a attempt to get more people to buy it to get it up the ratings ladder from Apple. I have very mixed feelings about this being a developer myself. :( We tried this approach and it was very unsuccessful and really it's just screwing up the pricing for the whole store. Some damn good apps once in awhile for 99c. :\ Screws up the micro-economy.

Anyway... end of point whatever it was supposed to be. :p

16. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    $8 seems like the perfect price point for all iGames

17. So if PapiJump+ and Rolando were both $8, you'd think people will still buy PJ?

18. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That wasn't really my point

I meant, games should take into account that good games should be $8 and then price accordingly

But yeah people would buy Papijump over the last glass of water on Earth :p

19. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Part of the problem may be the sheer flood of apps coming into the app store, giving us little time to really digest each game fully before the next one comes. Its tempting to buy each one as it comes out, but then that's a matter of personal discipline to finish one game after another.
    For the record, I've failed the above, and bought way more games than I can finish, but I'm starting to complete games now before buying another.
    To be more specific about the original enquiry, $8 for Katamari - is it worth it? I'm still holding back precisely because of the above (bought too many games) but also because there was a issue with the framerate. I'm happy that is now resolved, so it could be justified, but not until I finish off other games. So in my opinion, the price point is ok, but if the app was left unpolished, then I would probably rate it as only a $4-5 purchase. A Katamari fan would probably still say $8 is a bargain, and might even have paid $10-15 for it. What's it worth to you?