Are developers turning their backs on the iPhone??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by gekkota, Nov 5, 2010.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
  2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks for the laugh.

3. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Only 8% will focus on the iOS platform? I find that laughable, I don't think those figures are very reliable.

4. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope so, Apple taking all the kool apps off and lack of Flash has really been annoying me lately. I want to get an Android so I can do everything my friends do with emulators and their browser. At this point if Jobs allows Flash on the iPhone, he'll look like an idiot, so I doubt it'll ever come.

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    It's called the point of diminishing returns. Get used to it. The AppStore ceiling is unacceptable to the vast majority of major multi-platform/console devs. The ceiling is 9.99. The average is between .99c-.4.99. Frankly, that's just not good enough to entice major developers to jump on board. The profit potential just isn't there. The math doesnt compute.

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I doubt the price ceiling is going to be much different on the other mobile platforms.

7. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    The devs rushing to port their stuff to android and windows handhelds are probably constantly bumping into their iPhone assets strewn across opposite desks, which brings painful reminders of pending iOS app updates to round out their more generalized fears about not rising to the standards of those foreign, and largely untapped platforms.

8. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    well from everything i have read, programming for win7 will be cake compared to others.. but in the end devs want to make a living and will focus wherever the money is. if they get a hit on iphone it will be ported to the other phone os's.

or vice versa. its all gonna come down to what you enjoy doing. and yeah some will prefer one platform over another. thats just human nature. do not put to much thought into what they think will happen. i doubt much is gonna change. one thing i have noticed with these tech blogs, they love to start rumors.. and feeding trolls.. the more hits they get the more money they make..

chris.

9. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    An article from the same writer posted just a week ago --

Android Apps Hit 100K, Developers Not Going Wild
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/208743/android_apps_hit_100k_developers_not_going_wild.html

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Seems unlikely, and that pie chart is trying to predict 8 months from now when Windows phone 7 barely hit the market. A little premature I would assume.

Also it's not stating developers are leaving iOS, it says focus - which would make sense, new platform, new customers. They've had a few years now to establish developing techniques, ect. for the iOS platform, which means less effort in learning the SDK, more efficiency with ideas.

It's like saying that people are now focusing on riding a bike rather than walking. That does not mean they forgot how to walk, actually they can do it backwards now with their eyes closed.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  12. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Yes.