Universal Archibald's Adventures (by Rake in Grass)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by applesauce25r624, Jan 8, 2009.

1. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

This is a great game. However, when playing a level on the iPad it only uses about a forth of the screen with the rest being blacked out. The level select screen is full screen and looks awesome, so why such a small play area for the iPad?

Regardless, this is an awesome game.

2. cozval

cozval Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Italy
    Good! :) i have tried the lite version and the game is interesting:) i waited a price drop ... Now it's time to buy :)

3. cozval

cozval Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Italy
    I appreciate very much apps that Are universal :) buying 2 different version is not so good...

Just buyed on AppStore! Good job!

4. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    It depends on the shape of the level that you are playing. The first few levels are very much like long corridors, so they appear as long strips on the screen. But the later levels are bigger and stretch out horizontally and vertically and fill up the screen better.

5. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    It depends on the shape of the level that you are playing. The first few levels are very much like long corridors, so they appear as long strips on the screen. But the later levels are bigger and stretch out horizontally and vertically and fill up the screen better.

6. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I tried the lite a long time ago and while early levels were really great, some of the latter levels become less interesting as it requires perfectly timed jump or accurate landing, etc.

Can anyone please tell me how the rest of the levels in the full version is? Are they more puzzle-based or action-based that are challenging not because of the puzzle element but because of the virtual controls?

7. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Awesome, I love this game. I bought it ages ago for my iPhone. I also had no clue you released it as a PSP Mini game :)

Two quick questions:

1. Any chance for game center support in the future?
    2. Any chance for multitasking save state support in the future?

8. cozval

cozval Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Italy
    Just bought, for 79 euro cent i can't resist :)

9. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Game developer/programmer - iPhone, Mac OS X, Wind
    Prague
    Originally the game was designed for PC and Mac supporting any display resolution. We made some tests to fill the space with some graphics but we were not satisfied with the results so we kept it black. It's probably matter of personal taste but I think it also keeps the player more focused on the level.

10. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Game developer/programmer - iPhone, Mac OS X, Wind
    Prague
    There are both types of the levels in the full version. We later added "add-on: just for fun" chapter to the lite version, I think the levels from this chapter shows what to expect from the game because they are not much like tutorial levels.

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

It is fine, was just wondering. Thanks for making it universal, it is a great game.

12. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #92 BrettArchibald, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    If you're counting votes, personally, I would prefer for the black space to be filled with a repeating tile pattern of the bricks that surround the level. :)
    But maybe make them a shade slightly darker than the other bricks that are already there, to differentiate them a bit and to show that they are truly part of the background and not part of the playing area.
    It just does look kinda weird to have that black space there at the moment otherwise...

13. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Bump,this game deserves much more attention.It's one of the great oldies like The Quest.

14. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I've always loved this game. Never completed it but still have on my idevices.
    It's amazing it still works. iOS 5 thru iOS 10, even when other games did not

15. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Update of the century...

Now works on all device sizes + more. Very happy this game not being left behind. Thank you to the developers.

16. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?!?! This is just...huh...WOW!!!

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm honestly in love with this all over again. Game hasn't aged a day in almost 10 years.

18. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    Great to see this old school gem getting an update. Not just great, really quite impressive!

Still fun although tricky as hell at times.

I really hope Isotope gets an update some day, talking of old school iOS gems. Living in hope!

19. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I'm not even sure if I was alive when this game came out, but I bought it today, sight unseen, just to show my support of great efforts all around. Also thanks Jerrod for the write up, and El for his write up yesterday. I used TA as my link to purchase.

20. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Anyone have helpful tips on how to get past the ceiling fan in level 2.4?