Universal Arcane Tower (by Diego Cathalifaud)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Is it normal, that I often see black squares instead of enemies? They suddenly just become black moving squares.

So far, promising. I love roguelikes and 868-Hack, so this game feels kind of nice. Nothing spectacular or really original, but not bad either.

2. diego_cath

diego_cath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2015
    That's not normal. I'll look into it.

(It's probably because you have too many apps opened, but yeah, it shouldn't happen)

3. diego_cath

Mar 18, 2015
    Yesterday I scored my all time personal record: 334, but I was playing with my sandbox account.

Now that I think about it, that score would have discouraged new players, so it was probably better that I was playing with my sandbox account.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Power Grounds is better. Not really a fan of the color scheme of this one. But other than that, a great conclusion to your trilogy.

5. diego_cath

Mar 18, 2015
    In my opinion PG is more original and quicker but Arcane Tower has greater depth (there's a lot more going on, a lot more decisions to make).

Thanks for playing :)

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think I'm seeing a wider variety of baddies here in Arcane Tower than in Power Grounds, but I still will proudly carry both on my iDevices as they both scratch different itches. :)

7. diego_cath

Mar 18, 2015
    I agree! Arcane Tower is deeper but PG is sooo good for quick sessions.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is it possible to wait in place in Arcane Tower?

9. diego_cath

Mar 18, 2015
    Not by default, but you have some options: you can use a shadow, a spider web or pick up a spell in a wall.

10. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I dunno how I missed Power Grounds but glad I'm gave this game a shot. It's does remind me of 868-Hack (kind of sort of). So far I'd say it's pretty great. I like that all the information is very clear and it's easy to play.
    Now that more and more games like this have been released it's easy to get burned out on the concept. I'd say this is one of the better ones so far, looking forward to spending more time with it. Now I need to get my hands on PG

11. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Man I love Power Grounds with its Arena Mode, minimalist design and colors. It's a permanent home screen game for me.

12. diego_cath

Mar 18, 2015
    Hey thanks a lot! I'm glad you like the game :)

Then you'll be happy to hear there's an update available right now. Buffs to teleport and dash, plus auto saving.

13. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    kunda intersted in this game, can anyone pls give me a brief idea of what this game is all about? thanks !!

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It's a puzzle-y single screen roguelike. You start out on the first floor, and you move around by swiping (up is up, down is down, etc) and picking up different abilities, upgrades, and health points. Each time you take a move, your enemies also move. You can attack enemies when they are next to you by swiping towards them, or there are some single use abilities that provide ranged attacks.

Your main goal is to reach the exit on the floor, which allows you to ascend to the next one, and see how many floors you can reach in a single run. When you die, you start back at floor one just as you were when you first began. Floors are randomly generated as you play through, and enemies have unique attack patterns (such as moving 2 spaces a turn or ranged attacks).

It makes for a very focused and accessible little arcade experience. I definitely recommend it

15. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Reminds me of 868 Hack, kinda!

16. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    thanks for the giving me a clear concpet of what this is about, i think i will give it a go as i pretty like the idea of randomly generate the floors make it much more value to replay the game. thanks !!!

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, definitely with the way you hit the blocks to get abilities and such. Which is a good thing of course!

No problem, hope you like it!

18. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    is it anything like Nightmare Cooperative?

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes actually, there's quite a few similarities.

If you like that game I believe you'll likely enjoy this as well

20. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010