Universal Arcane Quest Legends - Action RPG Hack&Slash - [TestFlight - ALPHA]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lordnedox, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordnedox

lordnedox Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Thanks for the report, these items seem easily fixable issues, I'm aware there's still room for improvement especially in the hero management area.

At this stage, the most important thing for me to understand is if the game is actually enjoyable and worth playing. I have to decide whenever to invest another 6 months on this, or just go back doing strategic turn-based games.

So far this is reassuring, please also the other testers just let me know if you think it's good or bad, your opinion matters!

Cheers

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I’m sure you want to hear from other testers, but as far as I’m concerned, carry on!

3. TheGangsta

TheGangsta New Member

Mar 31, 2016
  4. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Hi! i was pulled by the diablo-like non arena description! is it also bloody like its inspiration? I am tored of seeing characters/monsters hit and all you get is a white-yellow flash of the model like in 99% of modern arpgs (not only on mobile). Diablo 2 and Path of Exile did it right.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I'm a bit burned out with betas still, and never do Alphas. But in this case I'll make an exception and join in for at least a thorough review/feedback, if that helps your decision. You should still have my Testflight email. If not, I can mail you tomorrow.

6. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!

Please continue! I have a feeling this could be something special!

7. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    I agree with you on this, and have already experimented with blood effects. There are 2 issues however, first of all is the performances which are already at their limits (at least on mid-tier devices), and second the ESRB/PEGI rating the game would get if it includes blood heavily. Getting a 18+ rating would limit the public range dramatically.

Sure do, I've added you. Even a thumbs up or down would be highly appreciated!

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #28 ramzarules, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    hmm then maybe make it optional? turn on off? that would take care of the performance in different power decices and also for the parents who actually care what their child is looking at. I dont think any parent sticks to the esrb. The ones who care try to limit the violence or talk to the child about it and its effects.
    I am insisting a bit on this because a rwal open world arpg with blood effects could be a dream on ios.
    Edit: to mention also that without blood, Black Desert mobile will release this year, with its stupid “flash flash flash” hit effects that fill the screen. So there’s competition.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Played for only an hour today (didn't have more time) .
    First impression is quite good; for example the areas I saw looked great, especially the forest. Very nice art direction.
    I have a bit of feedback piled up already, but that'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Short one for now is a "thumbs up". If you like what you are doing there, go ahead with it.

Also, re blood:
    If even having optional blood raises the rating to a higher age group, leave it out.

Performance concerns are a different thing entirely. In case you need some input on what's possible on different devices, best talk to Robert Kabwe (Nimian Legends) and/or Wavelight Games (Demon's Rise, etc.) . Especially Robert is really pushing the boundaries, and did quite some tweaking for older devices too.

10. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Will do my best to see if the blood option can be included, it's something I also would like but might not be easy. Let's see! I said the same thing when people asked me for a mini-map in game, and now it's there :)

Glad to hear it's not a total disaster, I hope you can enjoy it. Also, being only the first Act the story might be a bit dumb, things get going after the second Act. I've included though that fighting mini-game in the first Act to break the gameplay.

In terms of performances/graphics, I think the current status is a good balance. I could certainly have included real-time shadows, camera filters, blur, fog of war (which is present in a few levels) and so on.. but it would have run only on very few devices and drain the battery in minutes. Sure they could be options to be turned on-off, but I honestly don't have enough time to do that, and not many would actually bother to tweak these settings.

I will try to keep focus on the level designs, complete the features still in progress, and try to implement the changes (e.g. blood effects) gathered from the users' feedback.

Cheers

11. Nematicide

Nematicide New Member

Sep 22, 2017
    #31 Nematicide, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Hello! It's awesome! I'm a fan of RPG games! I really want to participate in the beta testing of your game! But I have an android device. Android 6.0. MEIZU MX6.
    Here is my email:

[email protected]

12. Sanderok

Sanderok Member

Oct 2, 2016
  13. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
  14. piro

piro New Member

Apr 7, 2018
    Beta tester

How can i participate in the alpha or beta?? I really want to participate, add and help with something in this incredible game!! Please

[email protected] thanks

15. WhisperSign

WhisperSign New Member

Oct 29, 2017
  16. zupac

zupac Active Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Homeless
    Japan
  17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hi Marco,

just wanted to drop a quick line that I didn't get around yet to properly organising all the feedback I have so far. Been pretty busy preparing for my new job starting Monday.

I'll try to get something out to you before end of next week. But can't make any promises, as I don't know how busy things will be at my new employer.

One thing I'd like to drop right away:
    The environments I've seen (played till the part of Act 1 where you can't proceed further, Fortress something?) look really great, don't see much to improve in that area ;)

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I just played through to the end of the first major dungeon (including the two sidequests) with an Archer.

And my impression so far is that playing ranged (Archer or Mage) is a good bit easier than going down the Fighter route.
    Archer from first glance seems even more powerful than a Mage, as she doesn't run out of Mana for spells, and can just keep shooting indefinitely instead.

Next, I would
    a) offer detailed explanations of the stats, both on character creation and anytime ingame. E.g. via a "?" button next to every stat name that brings up a popup with details.
    b) offer at least 3 classes pre-built when starting the game, with appropriate stat distribution and equipment (e.g. Archer should start with a bow, Mage with a Staff). That makes it a lot easier to get into the game, especially for beginners.
    c) add free stat/skill resets, to encourage experimenting and avoid players getting stuck in unviable and/or simply not well-liked builds. I'd limit it to in town only, instead of e.g. making it possible anywhere&anytime.

I also noted down that the equipment distribution is all over the place and a tad too random for my taste. Instead of offering more or less (what I think to be) level-appropriate equipment, both loot and merchant items are all over the place: You can get a very low damage trash-tier bow just as easily as, say, a super-powered Rare/Epic Hammer; depending - apparently - only on the whims of the RNG.

19. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Adding blood effect to the game was a great suggestion, and now you got it! It took a while to find the correct balance between quality and performances, but in my opinion the game looks way better and more interesting now.
    And there's still an option to turn if off, just in case someone complains :)

I am still looking for a few more visual tricks to make the game look better, but graphically speaking I think we're almost there, at least within the limits of mobile platforms.

Will have a new blood-enabled version ready as soon as I can implement a few more areas and variety to the game, plus I've got a ton of feedback items to include.

Cheers :)

20. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Well, the Act 1 should be completed, so if you cannot proceed further there might be a bug? What's the current mission task?

All great suggestions, though some of them were already planned (e.g. there will be a whole "help"/tutorial section to explain everything, but will wait until later as for experienced players it's quite obvious).
    I think I will add an NPC in the town to reset the stats/skills, perhaps will free only on the first Act?
    Also adding pre-built classes is a very good idea, will add it in one of the next releases.

The balance of the archer / mage classes I know it's still off, I focused mainly on melee characters as they are easier to predict, but it's one of the major tasks before the final release.

Thanks for the help
    Cheers