Universal Arcane Quest 3 - Rise of the Fallen - Tabletop RPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lordnedox, Jul 1, 2016.

1. lordnedox

lordnedox Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Welcome! Hope you enjoy the game :)

2. blujay2012

blujay2012 Member

Aug 23, 2015
    #82 blujay2012, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    great game

3. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I write music for a living.
    Los Angeles, CA.
    I'm too lazy to see if this was already mentioned, but I would love to see cloud saving.

Good game, though, overall. Def has that old board game vibe.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
  5. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    I will add cloud saves to my list. I remember 1 year ago there wasn't much from Apple to work with, but I think they have added some API to do this much easier, same as for Android.

That's great news! Hopefully he will like the game as much as chapter 2 which had a very nice review.

Cheers
    Marco

6. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Just started playing this ... it's a fun game. Well done on the release. I played and thoroughly enjoyed Arcane Quest 1 and I'm sure I'll enjoy this too.

In regards to comparisons to Demon's Rise, I think they're two very different games. Demon's Rise is more X-COM in a fantasy setting while this is more of table-top game in digital form. A more meaningful comparison would be this game with Warhammer Quest. I think it bodes well in that comparison. It has a similar pace and gameplay mechanics but allows for more camera control and an isometric view.

I picked up some magic cards as collectibles in the game that had the Sikh religious symbol on it. As a Sikh, that felt odd and kind of a break of immersion as you don't expect real life symbols in a fantasy game. I imagine most people wouldn't even notice so not a big deal.

As one game developer to another, how do you find the Premium model versus the free with extra content unlock in terms of sales / revenue? I've just done premium for Demon's Rise but I'm curious if there are better options out there.

7. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Honestly I wouldn't know. Since my first game it's always been my policy that my games must be free to play, I never bothered investigating the possibilities.
    It also depends on the market, I think iOS users are more used to pay than Android ones, so a paid app may work as well as a free one, even better.

8. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    #88 CalinR, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Gold drops vs prices make WAY more sense now that I've gotten past the 4th map lol

Balance even better overall now, I think I'm literally the right level for the story modes as opposed to one over.nharcore whathammer quest made me read the level requirements and add one.

The one vaguely unintuitive thing is to add STR to a ranger, has to go back and read the stat descriptions to figure out why he wasn't able to hit anything, and realized STR controls ranged accuracy too, or what's simulated as such.

Still liking it A LOT though.

9. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi, yes drops, gold, XP depend on the level of the quests. Unlike Arcane Quest 2, where difficulty was based on heroes level, in AQ3 difficulty is preset in each quest, so it depends on you arriving with the correct heroes level.
    I think it will get harder as you advance, please let me know if latest bosses are too strong ;)

About stats: strength controls attack value of melee and ranged attacks, so it is useful for the ranger as well, but also for the wizard if you are crazy enough to attack in melee mode.

Be aware that intelligence controls not only the MP, but also the attack power of magic attacks of the wizard, evoker and shaman.

You can find all the info in the help section, as you already did :)

10. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I write music for a living.
    Los Angeles, CA.
    Something I've noticed with this new update... The amount of money the Ranger earns for dismantling traps is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced now. Like, to the point where I'm not certain it's reflect the percentage listed in his bonus stats for the Engineering Training. Oh well.

Also, some stuff I'd love to see, maybe in future updates:

The ability to choose which (of the 3 or 7 or whatever upgrade you bought) items you get to keep, rather than it being random. I keep finding levels with chests I can't open and inventories filled with half a dozen movement scrolls.

The ability to Save without having to exit to the main screen.

The ability to pass items between characters not only immediately adjacent but also adjacent to adjacent characters. (You can pass it to them already but you have to do it Globetrotter style, which takes longer and seems silly. ie: Wizard-to-Amazon-to-Paladin just because the Paladin is next to the Amazon and not Wizard.)

The Amazon, when transformed to Werewolf, still has the ability to pick up items even though she can't actually use them or pass them. This makes no sense. (The worst is when she accidentally picks up a key. Ugh.) Maybe fix this?

Anyway, still fun, minus a few quirks. Good work.

11. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, I was away on holiday.

Yes, the Ranger ability has been fixed to work properly as stated in the description. The more you advance, the more the ability will make a difference, but the percentages are correct (before it was multiplied by 100.. obviously a mistake).

I will put a note on all the other things you mentioned and see what can be done in the next update, they seem minor bugs except maybe the Amazon which can be annoying (but is the item lost, or she still has it when she transform back to normal?)

Thanks for the report :)

12. tvleavitt

tvleavitt Member

Jul 21, 2016
    IT consultant
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Blacksmith

First of all: The game rocks. Nice look, nice mechanics, exactly my thing. To see the dev actively soliciting feedback, then implementing changes is awesome. So rare. Very impressed. Will definitely buy full IAP.

Feature feedback:

It would be useful to be able to view what my characters have equipped and available without having to completely back out of this interface and go down into the heroes interface. I know I can see what is in my pool / not equipped by looking at the "Sell" screen, but the option to compare what I have that a particular character can use vs. what is available to buy for them would be useful. As it is, I'm going back and forth to confirm what's being used, and I still bought a helmet that was inferior to what I already have.

Buglet: the prompt to confirm returning to the main screen that reminds you that you can reload your saved game is grammatically mangled. "You may reload your saved the game later."

Attached Files:

13. tvleavitt

tvleavitt Member

Jul 21, 2016
    IT consultant
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Also, I have An LG V10 (Android 6), and the sound is very wonky. Right now, neither effects nor music play when I'm in the game regardless of toggles. I turned off the music at one point, because it was too loud and annoying... that may or may not have triggered the problem, but I think it is more likely background noises generated by notifications appear to be borking it. When I restart the game, things work (for a bit).

BTW: Would be nice to have an in game volume slider for Music and Sound Effects.

14. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi,
    About the sound issue I'm waiting for the next Unity release that should fix the issue, shiuld be there by the end of July ;)

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I have a bit more feedback piled up, but only time to drop a few things really quick:
    1) For the store, can you make "do not show equipped stuff" the default?
    I forgot to switch it on a few times, especially because it reverts to off everytime you get to that screen, and sold my own equipment more than once :(

2) Overview map: most dead ends do not show as solid wall on that map; but as "open path" instead, like I didn't explore them yet.

Oh, and the "move all" works really good, I like it. Makes walking longer distances much easier.

16. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep, this is a known unity bug. I checked the latest patch release and it's fixed.

17. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi J,
    agreed on both points, especially the second one I think I can do something about. For the first, there are a couple of warning when you sell equipped items, both in the item details and in the confirmation box, but I'll see what I can do about :)

Cheers

18. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Unity new version released today :)

19. tvleavitt

tvleavitt Member

Jul 21, 2016
    IT consultant
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Typo and feedback (just finished).

See attached for photo of flavor text typo. If you ever need a proofreader or grammar checker, I'd be happy to help!

Feedback (just finished on normal difficulty):

Echo comments about dim palette as issue. Had to turn off auto brightness and turn up to high eighties to avoid eyestrain and difficulty finding characters on screen. An in game brightness slider, as I saw someone suggest, would be appreciated.

I kept on forgetting to use up skill points when I leveled up and added points to each character's abilities (str, dex, etc.). An alert or reminder that you have these available to allocate before exiting screen would be useful.

An explanation of what you see on the screen would also be helpful: what the health and magic point bars are, what MP stands for, etc. would be good... took me forever to figure out what the MP bar was actually showing, and to figure out that MP was "magic points", not "movement points". Doh! I'm sure folks not totally conversant with the tropes of the genre would appreciate it.

On normal mode, I wouldn't worry about the endgame being too tough... the midgame was the hardest, and that mostly because I'd forgotten to allocate a couple levels of skill points. Once I quit being sloppy about letting my wizard get exposed, and started using terrain to keep him safely surrounded, I was o.k. More than o.k. after I splurged on getting the barbarian a powerful sword (Armageddon) that enabled him to kill most enemies with one or two blows... that made him so OP, that I never used any of his active skills. By the endgame, even the most powerful bosses folded like cheap cardboard. I'd just charge forward with the barbarian, take out one or two mob members a turn depending on luck with the dwarf and ranged hits, wash rinse repeat.

Spoiler?

I was able to storm through the solo dungeon at the end with all four characters. Getting the wizard past the two Chaos Knights was the only hard part. I basically had to run away and heal every other turn while wearing down one of them with attacks and the multi-turn magic burn.

So, nice little game to obsesss on for several days. Gladly paid my $2.99 to unlock everything! :)

Attached Files:

20. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    While still working on other enhancements, update 1.1.3 has been released in the AppStore:

1. Introduced Spanish translations: still a beta version, the game texts should be pretty good, while the story line may present some errors, but should be understandable without any issue

2. Removed the annoying Unity splash screen

Will continue working on the suggestions given by the players, so stay tuned for further updates :)