Universal Arcane Quest 2 - Dawn of the guild

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lordnedox, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Good luck with fixing those :)

I got another request:
    Can you give the Wizard more movement? And ideally also make shoes available that gives +3 move, maybe at level 5?
    Currently he is my slowest character with 5 move, and especially for timelimit levels that is way too slow. He can get 2 more from boots, but then is still only at 7.
    My Dwarf has 9 move with boots, and I'd expect him to be the slowest character.

Regarding gold:
    500k is definitely not enough, if that is all you get during one playthrough.
    A full max-level kit for a hero easily gots 250k, most likely more.
    For the dungeon where the Wizard is mandatory (unpleasant surprise, did not like it at all, as I didn't use him before that. Had I known beforehand, I would have used the Wiz instead of the Elf), I just spent 70k to equip him with level 2 & 3 items.I even skipped a few - e.g. amulet - and could easily have spent 100+k.

2. lordnedox

lordnedox Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Update 2.1.1 is on its way, waiting for the review process.

It fixes the graphics glitches (hopefully! I tested on iPod and iPhone 6), and the spells disappearing after reloading a saved game.

It also add translations in Italian, French, German, Portoguese and Spanish (not great translations, but better than nothing).

Then I will start thinking about gameplay enhancements, using the suggestions I received so far.

Thank you!

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks Nedox, great work! Waiting for the update and then will get back to playing, I think.
    I stopped out of frustration, here's what happened:
    I ran into a bit of difficulties in one dungeon, and decided to leave with all the nice money and XP, and do it again. Ouch, bad surprise, I misunderstood the "you will lose all your progress in this dungeon" warning:
    You really lose all progress, that also means any gold and XP you got in the dungeon you quit. What's the big problem with this? The amount of gold and XP you can get in one game is fixed. You cannot repeat dungeons for more.
    For me that means I just blew out over 70k gold to gear up the - suddenly mandatory - Mage, so he can survive running with the big guys. And I don't see a way to make up for this.
    Also lost maybe 2 hours of gameplay, where I carefully fed kills to the Mage to level him up faster.
    Even worse, if you play like me and test out different characters, you will get lower maximum levels than if you had stuck to the same party right from the start.
    Add in the nasty surprise with a character being mandatory out of the blue, and not knowing if I will face more of this (e.g. "will the Cleric be mandatory next dungeon?") , and I didn't feel like continuing to play.

I might even start a new game, despite being over 30 hours in.
    But here's the next thing I'm not too fond of: Gold you buy via IAP is only for your current game, it does not carry over. Now, I cannot remember exactly where I saw this before; but in at least one game I played, any currency you bought was a "base value" that got added to any game, instead of just the current one. Something to think about...

Anyways, enough rambling: Happy New Year to you, and everyone else too, of course! :)

4. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi Nullzone,
    thanks for the useful reply.
    I really hated having to insert the Mage as mandatory into one quest (it's only one BTW), but my friend who wrote the story line insisted a lot (actually he wanted 2 heroes to be mandatory, but that was really too much).
    I will think about removing this requirement, I perfectly understand that it can be frustrating.

Repeatable dungeons are coming, I'm just trying to find a way not to take advantage from easy dungeons.
    One way could be:
    - Only side quests are repeatable
    - Each time, you gain less XP (maybe also less gold?), E.G. First time 100%, Second time 70%, Third time 50% and so on.

IAP Gold: I can understand that, but I'm not sure it should be changed. Starting a new adventure with too much gold would just ruin the experience.

Next thing I'm gonna add soon is the possibility to find fragments of weapons/armors/etc. during chests searches. Once found a certain amount of fragments, you will get a special equipment. It may not be stronger than the best you can buy at the shop, but I will try to add some special effect to it.

I will also slightly increase the gold amount found during the game.

I gave up on multiplayer for now, so I can focus on new contents.

Thanks
    Regards

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hi Nedox,
    good to hear about the repeatable dungeons. And the weapon fragments sound interesting, too.

My personal take on those things is:
    1) Grinding should not be necessary at all. If it is - in a game that does not have it as core part of the experience (think the Diablos), it's bad game design.
    2) If it's needed, make it as easy as possible, without spoiling the overall game. Bringing a new character up to speed is not grinding per se. Repeating a dungeon a few times because you "really want to get this shiny new armor right now" isn't grinding per se, if you a) don't need it right now, and b) can get it within the natural progression of the game.
    3) Resource shortage that are fundamental to the game, and need to be alleviated by repeating task X makes task X grinding. Final Fantasy X is a good example of this, with the insane amount of fighting to get XP and resources you have to do, to get your party in shape for fighting the high-powered special bosses.
    4) If your game allows non-necessary grinding, and folks want to do it to get an overpowered party: By all means, let them :)

So, long story short:
    Leave all dungeons as repeatable. As long as you don't complete it, you can leave and come back and go again from the start. Think of it as a strategic retreat, where the party needs to regroup, restock, rest, and rethink their approach.
    Adding a few fully repeatable dungeons wouldn't hurt, though. An undead-infested graveyard or a dimensional rift spewing out demons, for example.

For mandatory and "mandatory" heroes, take a look at how Warhammer Quest does it.
    They use placeholders for hero names, that get filled at runtime. You could see that due to some bugs where it e.g. said "$hero_in_slot_3 slips and falls into the river you are fording" .
    If I remember right, this approach was used in dungeon encounters as well.
    So, instead of using a fixed "Mage says XY" , you could use "$highest_level_caster" and completely circumvent the issue. Add some backup dialogue, and you are good to go :) e.g. "if no casters are in the current active party, replace the Mage dialogue with: $fighter_X rubs his chin in frustration as he tries in vain to make sense of the runes etched into the portal: 'Too bad we have none of the bookworms with us, sure they'd know what these writings mean'. "

IAP Gold: Yes, you'd start a new game with a nice cash reserve. But, for one you cannot make use of it right away, due to the level restrictions on equipment (which are a good move, by the way; I like them) . And once you hit level 3+ , even 200k gold are gone in a blink. Sure, they do make a good difference in what you can afford.
    But I stated before that in my opinion gold currently is way too tight and limits too much:
    Having to e.g. choose between upgrading two characters to a level 4 weapon, or upgrade one to lvl5 and one to lvl3 is okay in my book. Being limited to upgrading only one character to lvl3, and then having to choose between weapon or armor feels too restricted.

Thinking about it a bit more, and admittedly comparing to Warhammer Quest:
    Part of the problem seems to be that in AQ2 you only get gold as resource, and currently do not find any items in dungeons.
    While in WHQ in contrast you could get the best equipment only as reward for completing dungeons. So gold wasn't the limiting factor. Time (for playing) and the ability to survive a dungeon to get the items was.

6. TortoiseBoy

TortoiseBoy Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sorry, was gone on vacation, too, but have still been playing :)

A couple of things I have learned since my previous comments:

The gold thing is not as much of an issue now. I bought 150k of gold and that did what I needed to "catch up" in the game. I really needed special effects of some of the armor to make the characters stronger and more playable. The added HP effect of the armor for my warrior and cleric made them viable so far. The best equipment for my wizard makes him excellent with higher level fireball. He just wades into battle and waits for MP to refill. Between the Pierce spell for the ranger and the fireballs of the wizard, I don't have too much trouble bringing down high-armor targets. It makes the melee guys lag behind in exp, though, unless I take the time to hit with them. I am in the 4 level dungeon toward the end (there are 4 more slots in my tower, though I may have missed some). The story seems to be winding down.

There are some grammar and spelling errors in the English text. If you have all of the text in a Word document, I am happy to edit it for you and send it back if that will help. Just PM me if that would be of use.

Thanks again for making such a fun game,

TB

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #107 Nullzone, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Translations

Just remembered those two. If you are looking for an apparently very good quality at reasonable prices translation agency, TA forum members recommended DYS Translations and Appstore Translations. See these two threads:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=523
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=193005

This one also has people giving very positive feedback about DYS:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=1244

UPDATE: Page 3 of the above says 8 cent per word for them, which is incredibly cheap for a professional service.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant New Member

Jan 3, 2015
    a few thoughts

I've been enjoying the game on Android, and have a few thoughts and questions.

1. The sounds for the female characters need work. The shrieks when they take damage, or worse, die, are pretty bad. By comparison, the sounds for the male characters are much better.

2. I like the idea of finding item components that can be made into new equipment.

3. I also like the idea of repeatable dungeons, with diminishing rewards.

4. How about awarding bonus gold for finishing a quest with unused items in inventory (books and potions)? To scale easily it could be a percentage of the total gold earned, maybe 3% to 5% per item.

5. The spell selection seems too limited. I can conceive of other spells which would be fun and interesting, assuming the engine could support the mechanisms.

6. Not sure if this is a bug, but some equipment seems to be purchasable only once, while others can be purchased multiple times. For example, I can only purchase 1 of any particular weapon or armor, which is a problem when these are used by multiple characters. On the other hand, I can purchase multiple belts of the same type. If this is the intent, it seems unbalanced.

Anyway, just wanted to add that I am really enjoying the game, so thank you to Marco, and keep up the good work!

9. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, just seen this post.

1. I know, sfx are the most difficult to find.. I will check if I can find something better.
    2. Still evaluating how to do it...
    3. For sure, completing the development. There are a few problems need to be handled.
    4. In Arcane Quest 1 there was this feature, I felt there was no need, but I could add it to the bonus given at the end of each quest.
    5. Feel free to share, I have very few ideas on this matter.
    6. It's not a bug, weapons and armors are unique, all the other accessories are not. These 2 categories are the only ones for which I have plenty of items, for the others I lack the graphics, so this was a workaround...

Thanks and Regards

10. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    #110 lordnedox, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Version 2.1.1 is now available.

Please let me know if the graphics glitches (main menu, combat dice) are still visible and frequent as before.

Version 2.3.0 will be released soon:

- Increased gold obtained in all quests
    - Removed required Wizard hero in one quest
    - Side quests now can be re-played multiple times (except the assassination contracts)
    - Abandoning the quest now keeps the current XP and gold (Abandoning the dungeon still lose all XP and gold gained in the dungeon)
    - Changed the female sound! (Slightly better :D)

Regards

11. patch732

patch732 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2010
    U.S.
    So far so good.

12. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Version 2.3.0 is out

Version 2.3.0 has been released:

- Increased gold obtained in all quests
    - Removed required Wizard hero in one quest
    - Side quests now can be re-played multiple times
    - Abandoning the quest now keeps the current XP and gold
    - Changed the female voice

13. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Awesome update, thank you.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks a lot for the update, sounds very good.
    Now I just need to find time to play :)

15. Quickmix

Quickmix Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Record Producer
    Berlin
    Instant Buy! Love it!

16. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Thank you!
    I think the game is more or less completed now, I'm waiting for some better translations, and gathering ideas for the next update.

17. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Been absent for a while, but never forgot this game, working on a major update now, stay tuned ;)

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Sounds good :) I didn't even have time to give it a proper twirl after the last update. Guess I'll wait for that one then...

19. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    I have a dumb question, as I'm not an iOS user. Do games on iOS usually use Google Play services for login, leaderboards and achievements? Or is it always Apple game center?
    I would love to share achievements and leaderboards with Android users, but I'm afraid it's not common on iOS to login with a google account.

Regards

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I don't pay much attention to leaderboards and such, so take it with a grain of salt.
    As I don't know if that works at all, I did a quick search, but no immediate positive result (e.g. on Google's support pages).
    Cannot recall that I ever saw a game use Google accounts. But then you might want to ask somebody with more experience in that area.
    What is quite common - and slightly annoying to me - is to use Facebook accounts for cross-platform functionality etc.
    The most common thing still is Gamecenter, I guess.

If you cannot find anything official, drop the question in the TA developer forum, and/or on Stackexchange, is my advise.