Universal Arcane Quest 2 - Dawn of the guild

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lordnedox, Nov 22, 2014.

1. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Also playing on iPad and enjoying immensely. Just wanted to drop by and say thank you for making this, been searching for something like it for awhile now. Unlocked everything by the way and looking forward to exploring the game and each character fully.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    So, which Heroes does everyone use?
    I swapped out the Warrior, and currently use the Dwarf (only one who gets an extra die for trap disarm, very handy) and Cleric as Tanks (and they can do good damage, too). Plus the Wizard (I just love casters, too bad his standard attack is melee, should be ranged imo) and the Ranger for, well, ranged damage.

I really want to try the Evoker, but I'm a bit worried that the Summons might steal XP from my Heroes.
    Second party quite likely will be Assassin, Elf, Evoker, and third slot I don't know yet. Maybe Warrior.

More questions you, lordnedox. I know I can be a pain with my curiosity, so hope you don't mind ;)
    As for using all characters: Will it be possible to grind them up later? Or is it suicide to e.g. drag a lowlevel character or two along into a highlevel dungeon? I'll try that anyways at some point, so you don't have to answer that one :)
    Warhammer Quest - which you can hold up against, easily! - had repeatable quests, but I don't see those (yet).

Also, I forgot to make a screenshot of the dice explanation, and now I cannot find it in the game anywhere. Is it on your homepage somewhere? Which would be a good place to store all that extra info (like character progression paths) anyways ;)

Finally, some of the skills seem a bit useless. Extra movement? Seriously, if I need that, I planned wrong.

3. Perryrhodan

Perryrhodan Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Hello, is it supposed to be playable on an iPod 4 ?

4. lordnedox

lordnedox Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Hi, I'm an apple newbie so I don't know what that means, but it can run on any device with iOS 6+ and screen resolution 800x480 or above.
    :)

5. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi, sorry for the late reply but I live in GMT+7.

First, summons don't steal XP from the heroes. If they kill a creature, then one of the heroes won't get the slight bonus for the kill, but it's really just a small bonus.

Second, you can bring low level characters in high level dungeons, the difficulty is calculated based on the heroes level (but high level heroes weigh more than low level ones).
    They will get a lot of XP (for their current level), and level up a lot faster.
    Obviously they won't have lot of HP and good equipment, so you must take care of them.
    However I don't suggest bringing more than 1 low level heroes. This will decrease the difficulty but also the amount of gold and XP you will obtain.

Repeatable quests, it's been a huge pain to decide how to proceed. I didn't want to risk making a quest too easy that the players would play forever, so the decision has to make them playable only once. In the future, it may change, but it's not easy to balance the whole thing while keeping it easy to understand.

You are right, there's not an "help" page to review the help messages. I wanted to make one, but the time was not enough. Anyway, if you start a new adventure, you will play the tutorial again.

One final note: I'm working now to restore the online section there was in Arcane Quest 1.
    There are 50+ quests created by the users, with the editor I published, that will be playable here as well.
    Of course it won't be integrated with the main adventure (can't control the quality of the user content), but it will add a huge amount of hours to play on.
    (Plus you can create your own quests, if you wish).

Multiplayer was also on the table, but it's quite complex and will need more time. I will evaluate depending on the performances of the game on the market.

Thank you for playing, and feel free to ask any other question :)

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No worries, I'm used to all kinds of timezone shenanigans ;) try setting up a conference call for Europe, Australia, and US West & East...

Thanks for explaining more mechanics, that helps a lot.

The editor plus user-created quests sounds like an interesting addition, curious what other folks created.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Found a small bug:
    Move two Heroes onto the same spot; I suppose that's correct and not a problem in itself.
    About 50% of the time, you can tap and move one hero away fine. The second hero cannot be tapped, you need to select him via the "Next Hero" button. Moving him then works fine. Next turn he is tappable again normally, provided he is alone on his space of course.

Didn't try stacking all four yet ;)

8. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    I wonder how you can move to chars in the same spot, it should not be possible :p
    The spot a hero is moving in should not be highlighted. I will check about this, but I think I tested it lot of times.
    Do you do anything particular?

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I just figured that out by accident :)
    It was either in the first bounty quest or in the "Damsel in Distress" last level.
    First I moved the Dwarf, and then Cleric who ended up in the same spot.
    Next turn, the Dwarf was autoselected as first unit as always, and I could move him normally. The Cleric I could not tap, and only move when selecting him via "Next Hero" button.
    This was in a corridor, not a room.

I just tried to reproduce it in the starting room of a dungeon, did not work.

10. stbsteve

stbsteve Active Member

May 20, 2012
    I've only had an hour to play this game so far - but have to say, totally loving it. I'm amazed that it's a one-man job, while there are parts that I think it shows - it doesn't in anyway lessen the experience.

Ultimate kudos, well played and I think your pricing is very fair so you've pretty much hit the TouchArcade demographic's happy spot.

11. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Thank you very much, I know there's room for improvement, but many things I had to give up because not enough time (I work on these games only on my spare time, I still have a full time job).
    For example: different types of traps (explosive, poisonous etc.), more spells, 4-tiles bosses etc.

Unfortunately I'm not a gamer anymore, so it's very tough to find new ideas, I think 80% of Arcane Quest 2 came from the suggestions of the users.

Thanks for playing, please don't forget to rate and share, it's the only way to give it some visibility :)

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Don't you worry, you can hold up with the big guys like Warhammer Quest, even more so as you are doing this alone part-time. Quite the impressive feat! ;)

Hope you'll be doing well enough for a DLC/IAP content expansion, or even an AQ3.

Look at the Trese Brothers for example (Star Traders Empires, Heroes of Steel) . They are a two-man team, and both of the above games were good on release, but not near finished. They still keep adding content in small increments.

13. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi thanks for the support. Feel free to drop me a mail or visit my site to make suggestions.
    I already have 2 new heroes almost ready: the druid (ability to switch between beast/human form) and the monk (which I don't know what will do.. but I have the graphics done :D ).

Stay tuned

14. Perryrhodan

Perryrhodan Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Ok. What it mean is like on PC... Several range of PC can run Windows Vista but their specification can prevent them to run some games that are to CPU intensive, or GPU intensive or ask for to much memory...iPod 4 are the poor brother of the iPhone 4. It Run correctly iOS 6, but dont have the same CPU and less internal memory.

Almost everything iOS 6 compatible that run on an iPhone 4 will run on an iPod 4 . But not always.

For now the splash screen show but after a couple of second the screen goes black and the game return to the homescreen of my iPod...its sad because your game look very interesting.

15. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    I've tested on a real iPhone 4 and it works fine, unfortunately I don't have a n iPod, nor it's available the iPod simulator, so I really don't know how to check it.
    I've also found that in iOS 6/7 the ads banner displays on the wrong part of the screen, trying to fix it now.
    Too bad iOS is becoming same as android, too many devices and operating systems around :(

16. Gavx

Gavx Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Excelent work!!! Please add more (animations,specia effects,Dead bodies, etc) -

for me this game is better from Warhammer Quest (Better Gameplay original board game felling) keep up the good work
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Droid is great idea maybe an Vampire character will makes the deal!

eg. Also i want a futuristic version like Space Crusader (not space hulk) or an more VS board game like Descent

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Perryrhodan: First of all, where did you leave Gucky? ;)

256MB RAM isn't much anymore, unfortunately. iOS 7/8 hog more memory than previous versions, so you won't have a lot left to run anything else.

If it's not a general issue (as in AQ2 doesn't run at all on iPod4), try Battery Doctor, it's free:
    https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/battery-doctor-must-have-battery/id615987910?l=en&mt=8
    It comes with an option to show your RAM usage, and also to clean it up. Basically it does the same as a reboot/shutdown-restart. I use it all the time and like that it saves me the rebooting trouble.

Oh, and the obvious: Jailbroken yes/no? Do you have any other apps running in the background (cannot remember if iOS6 already did that, though) ?

Also, you can check if you have any crashlogs for AQ2.

@lordnedox: Yeah, a shame iOS is getting fragmented, too. And Apple still does not provide a proper way to exclude devices :( But still a lot better than on Android with literally thousands of device/OS combinations. Here is the chart for 2014, >18.000 different device types: http://gizmodo.com/what-android-fragmentation-looks-like-its-growing-1624662310

18. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi Gavx,
    first of all I have one question: are you running on iOS 6, 7 or 8?
    Cause I found a huge bug with iOS 7 (I guess it happens on 6 as well), where the advertising banner appears vertically on the left, instead of on the bottom of the screen. Can you give me confirmation?
    I already uploaded a patch, but will take a few days.

I thought many times about making a Space Crusader version, and actually it would not be too difficult, but it would require time and money to invest. If I can get some kind of profit from AQ2, I will see if it's possible to make something new.

For now, just remember to review and share!

19. Gavx

Gavx Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I run it to two ipads (4 and 6) with ios 8 and 1 iphone 4 ios 7 (last supported version) i cant confirmation any problem everythink work ok - (i buy it for 1.99$ i dont tested this on free mode with ads sorry)

Space Crusader will be great addition on board games (include eldars)

20. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Ok, thanks anyway.
    Will think about the next project next year, we can share some idea then.
    I will start checking what would mean to use the same engine for a Space Crusader (for me it was Star Quest) remake ;)