Arcana: Spell Duel Game Early Alpha

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by daveyoung, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveyoung

daveyoung Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Guys and Gals:

Here is a WIP if the Spell Duel game, I'm calling it Arcana for now, though I am not final on the title. I put together a web version of the game to get some feedback going, as feel pretty much complete with gameplay.

http://www.daveyounggames.com/arcana.html

This is to give you an idea of what the gameplay will be like.

Still To Do:
    PvP Online Mode Does Not Yet Work
    UI Graphics
    Sounds
    Spell Effect Finalization
    More AI (Right now he just loves Fireball )

FYI, this has been known to sometimes crash a browser! So please make sure you don't need to save any work.

Also, gesture mode of casting spells is almost complete. Gesture recognition and gesture pattern creation are done, and it can be used to cast spells which are more powerful than the Menu versions. It needs a lot of instruction still. I'll blog about the system soon, but it is very cool, and quite versatile!

Tested in IE, FF, Safari, Chrome on Windows and Mac so far.

I'd love to hear some feedback on the gameplay and a title :)

2. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I love this kind of games, I'll let you know what I think.

3. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #3 Tavoss, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    Awesome!!! So cool to see this and actually play it. I played a few times against the AI and heres the feedback I have so far.

1. ANIMATIONS - Needs more variation and they need to flow more smoothly into on another, they seem rather jerky at the moment. Also, not very expressive!

2. ARENA - Obviously kinda boring and not very visually appealing. Introduce a random arena when you play, places it'd be cool to have a mage duel.

3. UI - Needs a lot of work. As it is right now it is very intuitive, but its just so bland and boring right now. PLEASE add a back button. As it is right now, if you hit the wrong thing or change your mind, you have to go to the very end of the casting menus to get a cancel.

4. CHARACTER MODELS - Make these customizable. Like a character customization screen. Robes, clothes, capes, hats, heads, boots, accessories. This would make the multiplayer a lot cooler.

5. DLC or FREE UPDATES - In these you could add more arenas, clothing options, spells.

6. CHARACTER PERSISTENCE - Add a system whereby you can upgrade the spell power of your character in particuler spell types, whether it be healing, fire, ice.

7. MORE SPELLS - Nuff said

EDIT: 8. SPELL EFFECTS - Make them even more appealing. They look cool as it is right now. Add some cool lighting effect in there. Some particles that look like energy being summoned, revolving around the avatar or something! Something like, make everything else go a little darker and brighten up your avatar wile you're casting.

9. SOUND EFFECTS - Needs them lol

I think you have an amazing concept here, and i thoroughly enjoyed it just now. I cant wait to see what you do with it!!! I know this is an early version, and from what we talked about before you have plans for most of my suggestions, I just thought I'd reitirate my ideas!

4. daveyoung

daveyoung Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Thanks very much for the extensive feedback :)

5. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    No problem, I love the idea of this game, so I want it to be as awesome as possible... :D

6. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I definitely like the name, Arcana is definitely appropriate for a spell casting game...
    :)