GameClub Aralon: Sword and Shadow (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    can't believe you beat me - however - I needed the sleep!

2. jxjja

jxjja Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I'm confused :( should this game appear in the next few minutes on the US Appstore or until midnight?

3. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    ^^^ yeah, wondering the same thing...

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Now this is where my indie support comes into play. Between Aralon and DH2, I'd much rather buy and support Aralon.

5. eloquent

eloquent Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009

dito

6. pnke098

pnke098 Active Member

Dec 15, 2010
    it doesnt appear

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Although someone already mentioned that this appears to work on 2nd Gen iPod Touches (even if it's not officially supported), I'd like to hear impressions from anyone who is running it on a 2G.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #128 squarezero, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    You have a legitimate question, and I'll try to answer as well as I can without spoilery. I've beaten the game once already, and was well on my way to beating a second time when an updated version hit (and I started over from scratch), so I have a good sense of the overall story at this point. I should also add my usual disclaimer: I'm friends with Josh and Crescent Moon, so I'm not an unbiased observer here.

The overall story here will not strike folks as particularly original and the world itself (it's history, lore, etc) will definitely be familiar to fans of fantasy RPGs. It also doesn't have the dramatic arcs of something like Dragon Age, with the betrayal of the Grey Wardens, etc. Western RPGs in general have the cypher story-telling problem: the main character (you) is basically undefined, which can be the death-knell for a good narrative. Games like Morrowind and Oblivion compensate for this problem by putting in tons of lore and background material; Bioware RPGs tend to focus on creating vivid NPCs that definitely overshadow your character (and in Mass Effect 1 and 2 they have you play a specific, pre-defined character). Compare that to JRPGs, where the the protagonist have memorable names like Cloud and Chrono, and you get a sense that you're following their story.

Aralon benefit from a good set up that give you clear motivation to move through the story. It also has a few memorable NPCs -- though, interestingly, none of them are human -- and it manages to put you through a few actually poignant situations (including the ending). There's definitely lore and background, but thankfully (considering the platform) there are no long reams of text to read -- just enough to give you a sense of place. Another plus is the pacing, which, compared to Oblivion, is much more deliberate. Oblivion had a rinse-repeat structure that for me at least got old quick, and the trips to the demon dimension felt like a chore. Aralon takes you from one situation to the next, and even though the overall action is the same (it's an action RPG) it always felt like you were doing something new. Even some of the side missions are structured to make a parallel narrative of their own.

As in most WRPGs, the story is not at the core of the gameplay -- the structure gives you too many options for that to be the case. But you do have clear motivation and there are enough "moments" to make the whole trip worthwhile (IMHO).

9. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    is there anyone who has tried the game that can just answer this simple question? Is this game playable on a 2G touch? If so, how is the framerate? Thanks!

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I'd love to know if it would run well on my 2nd gen!

11. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    nice post, squarezero.

thanks for that!

12. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    i'm debating on picking this up now and getting RR2 later or vise versa.

if this really comes out in US in 20mins, the debate is over...

13. bbsen

bbsen Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I think you need at least a 3GS to play this

14. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    What is the 2.0 update? Will we have to download 1.0 when it comes out in Europe, or will it just bypass the older version and be 2.0 by default?

15. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    What was in the 2.0 version again? It doesn't say in the app description.

16. pnke098

pnke098 Active Member

Dec 15, 2010
  17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #138 awp69, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    Think that's the official word, but reportedly it runs on a 2G as well. But I'm waiting to hear some impressions from anyone who's tried before I purchase.

Nevermind: saw link to post above and guess it runs well! Good to hear!

Still strange that they have this in the description if it runs okay on 2G. Why would they limit sales?

"System Requirements:
    Requires iPhone 3GS, or iPhone 4 or, iPod Touch 3, or iPod Touch 4, or iPad"

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    One more thing about combat -- your experience of the game will change depending on which character class you choose. Warriors are more hack-and-slashy, though the addition of area effects and parry/riposte and block/shield bash move adds some complexity. Mages are all about power and in some ways the game plays a bit like a shooter when you're using them. Ranger and Rogues are all about tactics, since their attacks are initially less powerful and they have no area/group skills. You can stealth and ambush, back stab, set traps, etc. Personally, I find the Rangers/Rogues to be the most fun to play, but there's something really satisfying about doing a sweep attack and throwing all your enemies against the walls, or setting a whole mob on fire with a single spell. I would say that if you're not enjoying the combat, try a different class.

19. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Is it true that both the rogue and the warrior can dual-wield? If so, do they both use the same weapons too? Or are warriors restricted to axes/swords and rogues to daggers/katars?