Aralon Suggestions thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JoshCM, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Was your inventory full at the time you tried to complete the quest?

2. Zenzi73

Zenzi73 Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Berlin - Germany
    Idiot I am!

I guess that was the problem... I will give it a try on my way back home from work.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #363 undeadcow, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    I think Aralon could use some fine tuning in the difficulty, lowering the mana/health regenration speed is one way to help and maybe restricting certain skills. Maybe even bolstering enemy stats. It's fun and not easy but I would prefer it be more challenging, maybe even setting up difficulty settings that might handycap the character might be nice. As a level 19 mage I feel like anytime I push my level 2 shockwave it just instantly kills every obstacle. I noticed that when running health doesn't seem to regenerate but mana does, preventing mana from regenerating while running might also help the difficulty. Anyway, thanks for the great game.

Edit: As I advanced the difficulty become more intense so the balance seemed better; however I wish there was some way to keep from being swarmed by weaker enemies or since the game is open making enemies appear somewhat relative to the character level.

4. SeanR1221

SeanR1221 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Quest markers please.

5. More suggestions.

Consumables like potions should be usable straight from your inventory. You shouldn't have to link them to an action slot and then exit your inventory to activate it from there. Also, what purpose are things like creature meat? As a warrior they're useless; you can't eat it, haven't found and recipes to prepare it like fish for energy, and they're next to worthless to sell. Is there a benefit for another class? (I'm guessing Ranger can probably do something with it.)

Also, potion sellers should regenerate their stock. I bought all of the best healing potions from the one in Cold Sands Hold and she never got new stock in.

Need places to get more/better weapons/armor or spend more money, too. After you get the superb steel stuff from Cold Sands Hold there's nothing left to buy, and only the one place in Callaheim sells pauldrons and helms with no superb classes available. After a certain point there just isn't anything to spend money on. I've got a boatload and nothing to buy. Perhaps offering the ability to dual-class would be nice. It'd expand the hardware available to you and give you more stuff to buy, so more incentive to kill things instead of regard them as obstacles between you and your destination.

There's also potential for more quests or purpose for some of the places you can visit. Grok's Hut, for example, all the way to the northeast of the outlands. What's the purpose there? They don't sell anything useful and there's nothing useful to do or find there. There are a bunch of giant ants to slaughter but that's about it. Guild quests are on the short side, too. You get two or three from the main guilds in Callaheim, and then one extra from each affiliate elsewhere in the world. These two issues could dovetail nicely.

Secondary weapons. I really don't much like the fact that most weapons are primary-only and only certain lesser weapons can be used in the secondary slot. It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, and certainly isn't explained anywhere, so even though I had the dual wield skill early on I didn't realize why I wasn't able to equip a second of the same weapon as my secondary until I accidentally noticed the "slot" property on something I found was listed as secondary, and then it clicked. You should really just be able to equip whatever you want in either slot. It's just less confusing.

Scrollable inventory rather than 3 separate pages. That would be much nicer. Stackable like-items, even with weapons and armor, as long as they're identical. Tiny items or quest items like keys, letters, deeds, and other small items should have their own non-inventory page and should not be allowed to be sold or dropped until the quests they're for have been completed.

Stats for completed quests should be kept in the save file even when you haven't been given the quest yet. That way when you are given the quest you can talk to them about the quest again and it will be completed properly rather than become useless because the quest-giver won't recognize that your tasks have already been completed.

Quests in your log should be able to be made "active" and an optional quest arrow should be able to guide you in the general direction of where you're supposed to go (taking into account paths, not just a straight compass point). That should reduce the number of "What do I do now?" questions regarding quests.

Rather than have a giant green arrow point at special plants once you get within 20 feet of them, you should probably just print the name of the plant over it in relatively small type, and increase the range from which it can be seen so we aren't combing every inch of land until we find it.

Horses available at the stables should have a speed stat. Otherwise there's no indication of why one would want to pay more for a steed other than its colour.

Enchantments should be stackable. If you enchant a weapon with +3 INT that you previously enchanted with +2 STR, the new enchantment shouldn't remove the old one, and additional enchantments of the same stat should just increase what's already there. This works on items you find that already have enchantments when you find them, just not when you enchanted them the first time. While this would seem to make the game easier, it can be mitigated by reducing the number of enchant runes available in the game. There are already a boatload, and every piece of weaponry and armor I have on me is enchanted, so further enchant runes that I find are useless.

Although I realize that it makes navigation easier, points of interest on maps shouldn't show up until you either find them yourself, or have them marked by someone giving you a quest. This would encourage more exploration, which in turn would allow people to stumble across new plants to forage and reduce the number of "where can I find yuma seeds?" type questions.

Okay, that's all I can think of for now. Probably missed a few things I thought of while playing, but this should be enough for now. Again.

6. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    So far, I am really enjoying this game. I am playing on a 3GS and have very little problems doing so. I have not tried on an IPAD yet so some of the suggestions so far I don’t have any comment on. So her are mine

-First and foremost, having a developer asking for suggestions is great. My only thought is please don't try to please everyone. Doing so may change the game too much.

-I would like to see my EXP somewhere and be able to see how much is needed to rank up.

-more maps would be great. I noticed that in some areas, going to see them on the map is useless because you can only see the main area.

-DLC for additional quests would be absolutely fantastic.

-Sometimes the game crashes when I change areas. Does get frustrating. The having to quit the game to go to options screen does as well. However, frustrating as they are, they do not deter me from playing.

-I have gotten stuck in a few areas that I could have easily gotten out of if I had a jump button.

-I do agree that gamecenter would be great for achievements. However, if it slows the game down at all, would not be worth it.

-I do agree that using more than 1 ruin on an item would be great. Took me a while to figure out you could only use one and basically wasted them.

-Being able to gain more storage slots would be cool. As well as adding more quick links. I say more quick links because you have to link all your potions.

-More things to spend money on. I notice that after a while your money starts adding up very quickly and there is nothing really to do with it. I have seen postings about buying a house. I know that you already have one at the beginning of the game but it would be kind of cool. However, would only be worth it if you could actually do something there. Like maybe farm for items needed to craft. Store horses, Store items (I know I have a bank vault). A place to go to sleep if you want to jump ahead to day time (I know you can already jump ahead hours at the map), craft, and forge/upgrade weapons, etc...

All and all this game is great. I know there are some bugs and kinks to work out but this game is by far one of the best out there. I hope to god that it does not ever stop being supported. This game has the potential to be the shining star of RPG on the iOS for a long time to come with updates and DLC. True iOS gamers and RPG fans will no doubt continue to support with DLC that costs. Forums like this are tough. It’s tough to distinguish between mature gamers and less experienced gamers that are overly picky and complain for the sake of doing so. Great job with the game.

7. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I just recently started playing this awesome game, so I'm sure that some of these suggestions have already been mentioned here. Anyway, here's my list:

• I'd LOVE to have some way to easily switch from 1st to 3rd person view without having to exit the game into the options menu (like Ravensword). I primarily play in 1st person, but it would be nice to have the option available.

• A way to sell stacked items (like wolf fangs) instead of just selling them one at a time.

• The option to link the fishing rod to the action bar to quickly equip it when needed.

I'll be sure to post up more if I notice anything else.

8. rhljk14

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    Okay just finished playing the game for the first time and I have to say I am bummed out that I am all done.

Couple more suggestions.
    In the achievment section, can you add all of the wuests available and all of the tirles and have them change color once you complete them or obtain them. I find myself wondering if i have completed all of the quests in the game. First time through I played as a Warrior and completed 46 quests. Also for the titles, I have some spaces in between on the list so I know I didn't earn some of them. However, I have no Idea which ones. If you haven't picked up on my theme, I don't want the game to end.

EDIT:
    Also wanted to echo Macatron's suggestions

• I'd LOVE to have some way to easily switch from 1st to 3rd person view without having to exit the game into the options menu (like Ravensword). I primarily play in 1st person, but it would be nice to have the option available.

• A way to sell stacked items (like wolf fangs) instead of just selling them one at a time.

• The option to link the fishing rod to the action bar to quickly equip it when needed

9. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    #369 macatron, Jan 2, 2011
    Well, I've got a few other things that I found, but I'd classify these more as bugs to squash.

• If I exit the game via pressing the "Home" button, and then relaunch it, the background music won't restart until I go into or out of a zone. It's not a huge deal, but I figured it was worth bring up.

• Also the background music seems to be a little too loud at times. I primarily noticed this during the opening scenes of the game because I wasn't able to hear any of the spoken dialog. If there were no subtitles I would have lost the purpose of the main plot.

• Oh, and I almost forgot. It would be REALLY nice if there was a way to maintain your weapon at the constant ready (i.e. Morrowind or Oblivion) because I often find myself automatically sheathing my weapon before even reaching my opponent.

10. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    If it hasn't already been mentioned, a compass would be nice. Even if it's just a teeny arrow that always points North

11. rhljk14

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    Not sure if it is a bug or not, but I can't get into the Giant's Den in the Western Kingdom. Posted on another Aralon thread and several others are experiencing the same problem.

12. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The control pad is way too small and sensitive for the iPad.
    Also it would be great if you can actually interact with the environment like in Oblivion, ie harvest plants, look in barrels and crates for items, etc.
    The graphics quality of the water can also be improved. Swimming animation feels very unnatural to me, sort of like a robot.

13. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I also like the idea of being able to look into crates and barrels. That would be an AWESOME addition. :)

14. Planetshooter

#374 Planetshooter, Jan 2, 2011
    One thing to be aware of, that I discovered while exploiting the respawns, is that you can get the "slayer" and "vanquisher" titles for repeatedly killing some of the named NPCs, such as the 4 in the Thieves' Den (in the Callaheim sewers).

While these titles do make some kind of intuitive sense when butchering large quantities of trash enemies (Ruffians, Young Gnolls, etc.) you wouldn't really expect it for killing a named NPC over and over.

So I have titles like "Lars Lightfoot Slayer" and "Varl Nesbit Slayer" as well as the usual "Young Wolf Vanquisher" and "Gnoll Shaman Slayer".

I don't know whether it's a glitch, or intended. I'd need the dev to tell me that.

Regarding potion making (and fishing), this seems to me like it was put in as a "good idea" but forgotten after the first area or two. If you want to make potions, there are hardly any plants outside the first map that you can use and also a serious lack of empty vials. Note that the cost of the empty vial is 60g, the same price as a basic healing potion. I don't want to make unfair comparisons with Oblivion, but in order for the player to enjoy gathering plants to make potions, there needs to be an abundance of plants to gather and a variety of useful recipes or it's just not worth putting it in the game.

The same with fishing. There's a lack of fishing spots, very little variety in fish and fish recipes and hardly anywhere to make the fish based items. The fishing mini-game is incredibly simplistic and the game would not suffer if it didn't have fishing in it, at least the way it is currently implemented. In order to work, I think fishing needs some kind of levelling separate from character level, and different level fishing spots in the different map zones. From that, higher quality recipes could be derived quite naturally. I'd happily wander the beaches and rivers, fishing my life away, if there was an in-game purpose and some kind of reward for doing it, even if the reward was just a series of fishing titles and achievements.

Again, I have to stress that I really like this game, I play it a lot on both iPad and iPod 3rd gen and I think it's a fantastic example of the evolution of iOS gaming. However, the fact that I play it so much means I am noticing elements that don't live up to the quality and promise of the rest of the game. They need to be improved, or removed.

An open world RPG like this is an incredible balancing act to carry off. Oblivion didn't get it right first time and was arguably never really officially fixed, relying on dozens of 3rd party mods to enable people to get an experience close to what they wanted. The enemy scaling was a joke and Aralon has done well to stay away from that idea. However, you can look to the spell creation, enchantments and alchemy of that game for some pointers about how those features can be successfully implemented as character enhancement devices and additional game features. It doesn't have to be overly complex, just something progressive that can increase with your level and game-world exploration.

15. I can agree with these to a point. Eventually though sellers are going to run out of potions and they don't restock, so if you end up using them a lot you'll have to make your own eventually. This is only made worse by the extremely scarce ingredients and very specific, often remote locations they grow in. It would be one thing if ingredient X only grew in the desert and ingredient Y only grew in the snowbound areas if they were easily found anywhere in those areas, but the harder ingredients are generally found in one specific place of one specific area, which makes it impossible to justify gathering when you don't actually need them, and quite annoying when you do.

I fished once just for the novelty. Never bothered with it again. There really wasn't any point. To be honest, as a warrior, the only potion I ever used was healing. Never touched restoration or energy potions because I just didn't need them. I had tons of energy and it regenerated fast enough to make it virtually unlimited. Maybe it's just the way I chose to apply stat and skill points when I levelled, but that's how it turned out.

I agree tweaking is needed -- above and beyond the many suggestions already offered, I think better balance needs to be struck for more challenge, more reasons to brew potions, more reasons to fish, more reasons to use more than just healing as a warrior. (I don't know how it is for other classes as I haven't played others yet.)

16. Planetshooter

That's pretty much spot-on. Probably the same story for many players.

I'd agree with the Warrior/potions thing too. I don't think I needed any potions as warrior until the witch cave and only then because I was trying it at a lower level than the middle witch.

17. I think that's probably the story for most players and making potions at all. There are too many steps involved in making a potion and the reagents are too remote or too hard to find, not to mention the empty flasks and need to find a work table to make them on.

I do think though that if the reagents were easier to find/more plentiful, and either didn't take up space in your pack or you had more room in your pack (or if more items stacked), it might make the process a little more worthwhile because you could could find them a little more readily and pick them as you travelled. As it is though you have to go a fair old bit out of your way and use up precious inventory slots to make most potions, and it's not really worth the extra effort. At least, not as a warrior. I'll have to try as a mage next time and see how that game plays out.

Another suggestion for the game would be I think if you were allowed to dual class to some extent. That would make point distribution when you upgrade more of a choice and give you a bigger skill tree to manage -- which would be good, because I completed this game as a level 49 warrior with about 6 extra skill points to distribute and no more skills to put them into; they were all maxed out.

18. Oh, one last suggestion: Could we allow for mounting taller curbs? Drives me nuts when my character gets completely stymied by a 6" platform. Stepping on to the shore where there's a little rise, or in the sewers is annoying, but the worst was fighting Merificus. He's on this stone platform with like a 6" rise that you can't get up on no matter how you try, so when he steps back too far and starts throwing stuns at you left and right, you can't get up there to give him a good whack. It's incredibly contrived if it's intended as an "obstacle" because it feels like a bug.

Either that or make a jumping mechanic. That would solve the problem too.

Also several times I ran into a bug where I couldn't exit the water to climb a ladder (eg. dwarf cave) because as soon as I surfaced it "bounced" me several feet underwater again, over and over, so I couldn't get out no matter what I tried. I had to reload the autosave.

19. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    You know what'd make fishing a lot more interesting? Make it harder (i.e. decrease the amount of time you have to press the action button after the line starts moving) but also make the rewards better. Instead of just fish, throw in the chance to get rare or fishing-exclusive items and equips, a la Fate.

20. Zenzi73

Zenzi73 Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Berlin - Germany
    Bug? Grabbing torch while in a fight!

I had some difficulties while making a ranged attack when the opponent came closer:

my prim. weapon changed from bow and quiver to sword an torch, though I still wanted to shoot arrows and get some distance between me an the target...

Any help?:confused: