Universal Aralon: Forge and Flame (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    For me, I don't think areas and stuff need to be so spread out and vast.

For example, when you are in Taryn Ridge, the houses are all so far apart from one another and there are hardly any people walking around except for a few guards and peasants, etc.

Do you remember the demo for Epic Citadel that came out in 2010? (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epic-citadel/id388888815?mt=8)? Those were the best town environments I've ever seen, especially where it starts you. The trees swayed, birds flew around the sky, even the slight camera sway as you stand still. And it wasn't all spread out, nice tight quarters -- a perfect setting. But they obviously had ZERO life in them. Imagine a town like that with characters walking around. Seems like there would also be a lot of opportunity for more side quests, even if they were the "task" type of quests.

THAT'S what I've been hoping for in an open world RPG for iPad. Same goes for wilderness areas. I'd love to see more trees in tighter areas so that you aren't always seeing so far in the distance. (Epic Citadel also suffers from sparse trees)

2. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Anyone?

3. Forgot all about Epic Citadel. Isn't the technology advanced enough yet for an open world like that? Man...

4. jamiejap

jamiejap Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2013
    it think more details would be great: the people all look the same and they tell you the same. even the lairs looks sometimes the same.

in the map most thing are labeled so you don't have to explore or discover something.

in the pups more people to talk to are needed too.

5. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    There's quite a big difference from Epic Games making a tech demo with a fairly decent sized team and Aralon, where there was one person that made all of the environments. I mean that would be amazing of course.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The technology is there. The viable market on mobile to justify that kind of budget spend isn't, I'm afraid.

7. Yeah, I didn't mean that Aralon should have looked like that. But would be nice if a company with the budget for it would do it!

8. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I think even large companies can't justify it. I'd like to think maybe a big name franchise or even a port would be able to earn its keep, but then I look at Bioshock and I'm not so sure.

This is a tough market to make a reliable buck in these days, I think.

9. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Lol anyone where can I get lockpicks?

10. Arboc

Arboc Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Love theses games. Enjoy the exploration and think it should be rewarded.
    I would like more hidden stuffs.
    I found a chest under water and keep checking for more.
    Would like hidden areas too.
    Haven't found any of those but have found plenty of nooks and out of the way corners. There should be something behind a house somewhere, like a poker game.
    Maybe a hidden lever that opened a cave.

11. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Am I the only one who had this issue????

12. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I'm getting mixed messages here...

13. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    For $4.99 ita pretty awesome. I am sure we all have thrown away that on a game we deleted after a day lol.

14. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    It 5 dollars can't go wrong

15. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Hate to be that guy, but I've been on a roll all week:

So we can be orcs, and elves, but being a non-white human isn't possible? I guess even asking for more than one face type was too much?

16. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Why wouldn't you want to be a non-white human?

17. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Probably same as me... It's nothing racist, but just like to portray/role play a character that looks like yourself... Bit tricky in some games though as not many customisation options.
    Was like this in one of the GTA games and it annoyed me a little

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Pretty good impression so far, at a few hours in (just reached Callaheim).

@JoshCM:
    1) Can I respec my character? If not, could you please add such functionality (e.g. by adding a trainer to major locations) ? From experience it usually happens that somewhere down the lane I find out that I invested in the wrong skills and/or stats. Not to mention that I like to experiment. And having to restart from scratch just to put some skill/statpoints somewhere else is not very playerfriendly.

2) Can you change the default attack button so that you keep attacking as long you press it? I have RSI, and having to constantly tap is more than a mild annoyance; it actively hurts after a pretty short time.

3) Swimming speed I find incredibly slow. Can that be increased?

4) It makes absolutely no sense that you cannot bypass some environment obstacles. E.g.
    a) can't jump across a waist-high fence, but have to walk around it to get to the other side.
    b) only can leave water at certain spots. Why can't I e.g. pull myself out onto the dock in the first village?
    Any chance this can be improved?

19. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    ^i was about to post the same request, well sort of, but you beat me to it :D . my hands is so itchy to play this game again, but i prefer to hold for an update. :( hopefully it will come this week.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @redribbon: I mostly play for ~15 minutes in one stretch, so it's just bearable. Anything longer, and I get serious problems.
    Mage is much better in that regard than Warrior, as I do not need the attack button so often.
    On the downside with the Mage I need to cycle through the attack spells.

@JoshCM:
    Suggestion for improving the Mage attack (and I think that could apply to all Classes):
    Allow to setup an attack cycle - more than one would be even better - and add a button for it:
    That would be an editable sequence of spells/skills to execute one after the other, as long as you have the "cycle" button pressed. E.g. "Cast Ice 1, Ice 2, Ice 3".