iPad AppStore Should Force Review Re-Writes After MAJOR Game Updates

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by superbad, Dec 19, 2008.

1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Do you agree?

It's kinda sad apps are FOREVER brought down if it lacks a feature or two on its first release then when a major update comes in... the dev and the game are forced to deal with it.

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Great idea. I think apple should also force us to re-pay for apps after MAJOR updates. That way the developers can make some extra cash...

3. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    i like this idea better :D

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I knew I liked you.

5. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I would be okay with Apple 'forcing' a pay after major updates if I didn't think developers would abuse that. IF the first version is 'camera-ready' as it were, then fine. But a lot of times, it isn't. I'll give you an example, I bought an app that was supposed to have bus scheduels for my entire city, and there were lots of glowing reviews for it. Then I downloaded it and the two routes I use were not in it yet. I gave it a review explaining this (i.e. that the usefulness of the app was dependent on whhether your preferred routes were included, mine were not, therefore the app is not useful to me) and the developer emailed me all upset with my 'bad' review. He has since released updates which he describes as 'adding or correcting over 100 route' which by your criteria I suppose would be major and you think I should have to pay again) and guess what, my route is STILL not in there and I still cannot use the app.

So no, I do not think Apple should 'force' paying customers to perform free labour (i.e. update/correct a review) for a voluntary thing they did relating to merchandise they have paid for. And I don't think developers should be off the hook for maintaining free support for said paid-for merchandise. *If* the app is so substantially changed that the developer feels it is worth people paying for again, they are free to release it as a separate app, I suppose. But I personally will not pay again for an app I already have, and I know I am not the only one. A few of us blasted the Quadrum guy when he abandoned one of his apps saying that he was going to re-do it and charge people again for it instead of updating the app he already had. That to me is bad business because he is abandoning the customers who have already shown support for him in exchange for maybe getting new customers. I think there needs to be a proper balance. I think it is up to customers to pay for the apps they use, but it is up to developers too to do good business and *earn* the loyalty rather than relying on Apple to force it.

6. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Here's a better idea: how about developers actually release COMPLETE, tested games? ;)

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #7 NotYou, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    I'd be okay with paying for major updates, if they are really major updates. by that I mean "Version 1" updated to "Version 2." And I mean major like "Mario version 1" to "Mario 2."

Maybe not that drastic, but you get the idea.

For instance, if something like X-Plane adds all the maps from their new versions into their first one. I'd be willing to pay for an upgrade that large... I just really hope I'm not giving them ideas...:rolleyes:

Edit:
    On second thought, I wouldn't be okay with that. This is one of those ideas that sounds good at first, but really sucks when you think about it.
    Devs would definitely abuse it, no matter what rules they set. We'd all be either paying unknown amounts to get full versions, or we'd be stuck with crappy not full featured versions because we won't pay.

8. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Wait, what? You guys actually thought I was serious? I was just responding to a crazy idea with an even more insane idea. Like hell I'd pay for an update or re-write a review...

9. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    *weep* You mean...no extra cash? *weep*

10. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Like you need any. LWB: proof that you don't need to pay for updates for a developer to make some major cash. Now go work on that other game you've been working on, Bear...

11. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    Disagree. Who decides what a "major" update is? Apple ain't gonna do it.

12. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    You obviously didn't see yesterday's sales. :D

Big, FREE, TanZen update being worked on right now, then back to the new game!

13. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    superbad, definately the process now sucks. But I think forced to re-review people might tend to be malicious, hence, one star reviews. You have a good point though. As an example "Katamari". This game has gotten so many bad reviews already, and with the major update that's coming alot of the one-star reviewers will probably be happier, but maybe 10% of those people will edit their reviews. This leaves the game, to a potential buyer seeing only a cumulative 3 stars. For $7.99, the average appstore consumer is probably going to pass. With your " re-review" idea do you have any other thoughts of how to improve the review system?:rolleyes:

14. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No they should just have a separate review section on the app page for reviews hat were made before the last update. That would help me tremendously

15. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Sweet sweet. Can't wait for that new game of yours.

16. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Me too! All I need is time. Sweet, elusive, time. December is a bad month for that.

17. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Only if you LIKE spending time with your family...
    Lets bring this thread back on course. Bottom line: we won't pay for updates or re-write reviews. But hey, whoever wants to write and re-write reviews is welcome to do so...

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Thank you, kind gentleman!

19. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Don't always look for the big solutions, when there is an easy way: Just save the version number with each review and allow several reviews for each app (but not for each version). Than, as a default, only show the reviews and ratings for the current version, but give a short history view with a list of all versions and the overall ratings for this version.

This makes it easy to see what the people think NOW on that app and it makes it easy to see how the app developed and how the people changed their mind through this development process.

20. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I didn't write a review recently but when I did, I always posted the date with it. Perhaps it would indeed be better to include the version number. :)