Appstore search ranking

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Nicolinux, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Nicolinux

Nicolinux Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Sysadmin
    Hi,

I hope that's not offtopic but I wonder if anyone has a clue how the Appstore search ranking works. I don't mean to unfairly exploit its flaws through dirty SEO tricks (like including phrases like "this app is like another_app, another_app2...). I just think that the Appstore is full of crap and Apple doesn't care much to help users to sort it out.
    Case in point - we made a timer app (no advertising here) and yet when searching for "timer", real crap apps like iFart or AtomicFart show up on the first places. What's up with that? How are the the people looking for a real timer supposed to find the relevant stuff? We created our app to get comfortable with the SDK and the Appstore. I am not sure if it pays off to put so much work (right now working on a great game) into something that might not even show up...
    I don't think that I am alone with my story. What are yours?

Stefan

2. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Agreed. I really dislike it when in an app description, there is something like "You may like other apps like {list of 50 apps that are in the top...50}. It's kinda like how on YouTube, you have huge lists of random things so when people search for things, they find other things. Except YouTube is less of a deal...on the app store, devs are losing sales.