Appsniper

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by soup, Apr 17, 2009.

1. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    What other apps are like AppSniper? Im gonna have to use a backup now.

2. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
  3. AClockworkSausage

AClockworkSausage Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Systems Analyst
    Had had a problem where it was crashing on loading and had to delete and reinstall. I've not turned off the option to sync on startup and the problem hasn't come back since.

4. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    So are you doing a manual sync to get updates?

If you leave the sync on start up on will it crash?

It seems like their server is down?

I wonder how many sales have been lost because its not going?

I installed Pandorabox after Appsniper quit as a work around its ok but doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

Has any one tried bargin bin?

5. Jo.

Jo. Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Works for me, all i did was

1. Go to config
    2. Then choose Clear Icon Cache

it works just like before. (For me at least)

6. jdr

jdr Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Please explain. Where is "config"?

7. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Config is in the program unfortunately the recent problem won't even allow the program to start.

I gave in and uninstalled appsniper and reinstalled it. The program works again.

The program still crashes often, but not at start up like it was.

8. jdr

jdr Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Ah, thanks. Sigh. Reinstalling does get the app to startup, but it deletes your snipes. Until they resolve this issue, I will consider Appsniper broken.

9. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Just remember to back up your snipes in the Config section often. If you ever have to reinstall you can restore them there too.:)

10. Jayson767

Jayson767 Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Australia
    I must say these forums are a godsend! I too have had a non-functioning, crash on launch AppSniper for at least the past 3 days. I though it was an isolated problem, happy to hear it's common amongst other users. Thanks everyone for spreading the word. Time to reinstall and try to remember what I had on my Sniper List! :(

11. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    database not updating?

I wanted to add AlphaBlox and iBomber to my 'snipes' list in case they come down in price, but I can't find either when I search on AppSniper in the "Snipes" section. iBomber Lite shows up, but not iBomber, which is a bit odd.

Has anyone else noticed this? I cleared my icon cache and reset the app database but they're not there. I just feel like AppSniper is losing its sole purpose now if it can't keep up-to-date with releases. :(

12. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    i used to love appsniper but i have now followed what seems to be the developers idea and given up on it !

13. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Not sure what's going on, but I feel like it took about a week for Monster Pinball to show up. Pretty random. :(

14. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

I've had the same issues. I've stopped using appsniper cause it never has the apps I want to add. It's really frustrating.

15. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    #75 AttackOfThePwned, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
    Try PandoraBox, it is free

Yeah, I've given up on it too. I recently deleted it and have been using PandoraBox which is free, lets you add favorites (not sure if there is a max number of apps you can watch for price drops) and have been satisfied with it. Not as much functionality as AppSniper but it seems to be pretty accurate with new apps and price drops. Also my biggest gripe I had with AppSniper was speed, Pandora has yet to crash and it loads QUICKLY! The search function works on it too where search didn't work well in AppSniper (some apps just would not come up with a search).

I had a technical issue with AppSniper and sent a message to the developers, two weeks later still no response. Oh well it did save me some money so it more than paid for the $0.99 I paid for it but it would be a shame if they let it waste away.

Second Edit: I should add I did everything suggested by clearing icon cache, deleting and reinstalling, reboot iphone and open and still had problems searching for already released apps, crashing, and for some reason the Snipe "Save" and "Cancel" buttons at the top of the screen disappeared one day and even the delete and reinstall did not fix that little technical issue.

16. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the PandoraBox suggestion.

It works just fine though admittedly it lacks some of the functionality of AppSniper (like being able to filter out certain developers), but marking off apps you want as "favorites" and seeing them flagged when on sale is just fine. I think PandoraBox only updates a few times a day which works perfectly well for most of us.

17. AttackOfThePwned

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, I agree not being able to filter out or search for developers is a negative but maybe the dev will add that in a future update.

18. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    I think the data base was getting to big for Appsniper and was recently deleted. I constantly find items that are not in the search.

Pandorabox is OK but needs more features.

I use the appshopper web site to help find some of the ones that Appsniper misses.

http://appshopper.com/games/2

Rad

19. AttackOfThePwned

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for that link. Something new I can add to my iPhone bookmarks. Looks like a helpful site.

20. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    If you dont already have it,

AppSniper is now currently FREE!