Appsniper!!!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pablo19, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry guys, we had an issue with a few titles being unavailable, including Retro Cave Flyer.

Please download the latest 1.5 update (just came out). This will fix the problem for you.

2. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Thank you for the heads up.

Love the new update, very nice feature with the watch/snipe.

The issue i mentioned earlier was resolved.

3. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

The new update is cool, but it's crashed on me twice after getting a warning of low memory. . And I have around 30 MB of free RAM. It's weird.

But i do realy like the new features and watchlist.

4. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Same problem here after the update. Appsniper crashes randomly, it slows down frequently, and there are several low memory warnings... strange.
    I've restarted my phone a couple of times, but it hasn't helped much. I'll try removing and reinstalling the app next.

5. Manta Research

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Hmm, very odd. The low memory warning is just a hook into the iPhoneOS's low memory notification. Rather than just have the app suddenly get unloaded by the OS and appear to crash, we thought we'd bring up the warning whenever Apple calls us to tell us memory is low. Typically in these situations the OS will first try and unload any unnecessary background apps (ie mail, safari, etc). We recommend rebooting the device if you get a low memory warning, as memory may be too fragmented to continue and may cause the app to be unloaded by the OS.

Have the "crashes" that you've seen only occur after the low memory warning?

6. cptlockheed

Dec 12, 2008
    Finland
    Manta Research,

I'll keep an eye on the crashes (sudden shutdowns actually). It is possible they happened after the memory warnings. Usually I don't keep many pages open in Safari, no push mail or any such known memory/power hog apps (for same reason I'm using appsniper without icons).

For now, I made a save to server and resetted the database. Maybe this helps.

By the way, would it be possible to add the Finnish store to the Store Filters? I'm not sure if it matters much, I've been using the US store and have had not problems with missing apps. But if it is a trivial(ish) addition in coding, the option would be nice.

Thanks for your attention, and for the great software. Appsniper is one of my most used apps.

7. Manta Research

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    cptlockheed, thank you for the feedback. If you see the app suddenly quit and there hasn't been a low memory warning, then I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it.

Finnish store: unfortunately adding additional countries isn't trivial. Having said that, we are working on expanding our international store support and hope to roll something out sometime next month if everything goes according to plan.

8. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    #108 fiskadoro, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    Just wanted to add that I've been seeing the "low memory" warning while browsing AppSniper too, which I never used to see before the latest update.

Wish I could go into detail about when/why they happen, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern... I'll be sure to let you know if I do notice one though.

9. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    omg, it crashes about 50% of the time now and slows down when i go into the app list. It didn't behave like that previously... The update broke it?? OMG :confused:

I do see the memory warning here and there, but it still crashes even if i didn't get a warning. sigh...

10. MaskU2See

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Crashed on me only once since the new update and i use this app 5-10 times a day.
    I do get the "low memory" warning pretty often, at least a few times a day.
    Never happened to me before the update.

I still love the update, love the extra feature to be able to watch an app to see if there's a new update or any price change. on it, great feature

11. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    i like the features added in the new update but man does this thing ever crash on me now. probably atleast 40-50% of the time, freezes up or just gives me a black screen and kicks me back to the springboard. also, about 80% of the time i get a low memory warning as well.

not knocking the program in the least, its in my top 5 apps, but this is the first case where ive found an update to do more damage than good

12. Manta Research

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Really sorry about the problems guys. We did a bunch of internal testing as well as a limited beta test and nobody saw any of these issues prior to release.

We are trying to track down the crashing/slowdown issue but it's challenging since we cannot replicate it in-house. If you are seeing a crash PLEASE email us at [email protected]. We'd like to ask you a few questions, and if you're willing, send you a beta version to see if it fixes the crashing problem.

We really need your help in tracking this down, so if you're seeing crashes on a semi-consistent basis, we really need you to contact us. Thanks!

13. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I never have crashing issues in this app, but that probably has something to do with my OCD Free Memory usage. I don't have many crashing issues in any app.

14. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    Appsniper

I don't have any freezing/black screens but I do have crashing problems. I already mailed you, Manta. Your customer support is great!

I hope appsniper will stay that way too...:confused: Why add this message? It really ruins my appsniper usage!

15. MaskU2See

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Anyone else experiencing no new apps showing on appsniper?
    I just checked AppShopper.com and it lists many new apps for today.

Appsniper shows apps listed < 1 hour, but in reality they are from yesterday.

16. cptlockheed

Dec 12, 2008
    Finland
    Re the crashing: after resetting the local appsniper database, I've not experienced crashes anymore. So it might be worth trying if you have problems after the update.

You can save the snipes to server and fetch them back after the reset.

17. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    I'm was getting strange info from appsniper today as well. Even at first launch of the day, no new red tags on "On Sale" or "New Apps". That never happens except for the holidays or whatnot.

And as you point out, AppShopper confirmed all sorts of activity that appsniper, uh...missed?

But it seems to be working now (41 On Sale, 247 New Apps). Previous launch like three hours ago.

18. MaskU2See

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA

As you pointed out, now everything is working well.
    I ended up restoring snipes from server and resetting app database,- haven't had any "low memory" warnings.

Loving the new update.

19. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I'm getting a lot of low memory warnings, but I'm not really that bothered by them so its ok

20. MaskU2See

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA

Did you try resetting the server and database?

That did it for me.