Appsniper!!!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pablo19, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Awesome! As soon as this was out in Sweden I bought it.
    What a useful little app! Certainly worth the 1 buck!

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    true

Very true, awsome app And thank you for introducing all those cool features and fixing the keyboard issue :D

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

was waiting for the 2.2 bug fix
    just downloaded it
    upon initial load, boi there is a lot of crap in the app store..hahah

added a few snipes
    i think this app will pay for itself :)

4. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    #24 jwbrent, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
    Just purchased this app and I like it.

It would be nice to also see all the version updates separately or at the very least, included in "New Apps". Also, a brief description of each app when scrolling would be nice.

5. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i agree

to be able to sort by update, price, % of sale (i.e show only 80% or 40%-50%)

i would like to see app screenshots instead of having to click buy app, which takes me to the app store to look at the screenshots..which removes me from the appsniper app...so i have to reload, and find my position/state again

so either a save state, or the abilty to browse more, like pics, inside the appsniper app

amazing app though

6. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Very nice app, Though I agree with complaints stated above. I'm sure I'll save some money somehow...

7. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

AppVee is nowhere near as useful as Appsniper, but it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the advertisement that takes up an easy 30x60 pixels.

8. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Next version will have support for screenshots from the info view. This will greatly improve the user experience. We have some other neat features coming soon as well.

9. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Looks very nice! Would sure save me a lot of time surfing around looking for deals to give our readers! :D

10. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I love this app, and the best part about it is how it'll track any app you want and tell you when the price falls to what you set it to.

11. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    BUGGERS!
    Just read this forum post and went over to buy it... its now back to $1.99! Sigh... hate Tokyo for not having Wifi anywhere and my 1st gen iPhone not able to get any signals here. Does everyone seem to thikn that its still worth it?

12. mek

mek Well-Known Member

awesome
    cant wait

13. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    omg no. $2 now? me cry..

didnt realize $1 was promo only... id stick to safari for now.

14. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Awesome! This is the main thing I wanted from it. Wow, I love this app.

15. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Please change the way you display the app lists. Read/Unread doesn't work very well and why do you only load icons for the current screen? I would like to scroll through the lists and use the icons to find a specific app. The way you display the icons at the moment it is useless and you could just display the text title for improved speed and a popup free experience. I don't know how slow other people are reading through your lists, but if you watch the appstore for some time, you will scroll pretty fast through the list - so fast that you have done reading the titles before the icons even pop up -> useless.

Maybe you should use a list view like most of the RSS Readers do. Take a look at Byline for example. I can easily use it to read hundreds of list entries, mark favorites, list favorites and it only marks entries as read if I really view the details or if I use the "Mark all as Read" option. That way you don't lose your list position every time you restart the app.

16. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    same here!

@ superbad: At 2 bucks this is still worth it.

17. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    The way read/unread works right now is that it will show all new items from the last time you launched. If you quit, those entries are marked as viewed and will not show up as new the next time you launch. I'll have a look at some RSS readers as you've suggested to see if there is a better way we should be doing this. I don't believe just keeping track of where you were last when you ran the program works well, but if you can convince me I'm wrong then I'd be happy to reconsider.

The way the icons are displayed is due to scrolling performance. Scrollviews are difficult to make performant, and if I fetch (even the cached icons on disk) as I'm scrolling, the performance is really bad. We've experimented with a lot of different ways, including firing off threads to fetch all icons as you're scrolling but nothing works particularly well. I think the best way to solve this is going to be to effectively implement an L1-cache type approach where we keep some set number of images cached in memory, and intelligently prefetch as necessary.

Don't worry, I'm not happy with the way the icons display right now either -- I do plan on going back and seeing if we can do something better there.

Just as an FYI, we're also making big changes on our back end server infrastructure to keep the performance up as our load increases with new users.

18. mek

mek Well-Known Member

I agree two bucks is still worth it

I bought it @ a buck, and it saved me 6 bucks as of yet, so technically I bought this @ -5 bucks...with a lil fuzzy logic to make myself feel better..

cant wait for the screenshots

19. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    So, having had some more time with this app...
    Do you still use and it feel satisfied with this product? Any negative comments on it's usefullness?

20. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Well, I do have one thing negative to say. But, most of my comments are positive.

First of all, the $2 that it costs is nothing compared to what it will save you. I've saved about $8 already, so I'm doing pretty well with it. I check it every day and it is accurate, it lists every app that comes out and gives you a little red badge with a number to show how many new apps/sales there are. The only thing negative I have to say about it is that it seems to be a little slow right now. For example, I had Wave Blazer set up on my snipe list so that it'd tell me when it was on sale. Wave Blazer is $1 right now, but AppSniper still said it was $5.

I don't know why the snipe was messed up or whatever, but I think it may be a bug. I'll try to send the dev an email later about that today.

Overall, I think this app is definitely worth the $2 ;)