Appshopper - Official App (v1.4 - App Ratings, Links to Reviews, More..)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009

The problem is that someone will have to manually make a list of all upcoming apps/games and add them to appshopper, add a search query and notification for it. Its doable, but not as easy as you are suggesting. Also sometimes the names are generic (which is not he case in gyromaniac though). Say you are looking for "Agents". There are quite a few apps with that word in the name. Also devs change the name slightly (even completely sometimes) before launch. How will appshopper know if the app called "Agents Online" is the same app you are looking for or not? Maybe they can match it with dev and see if its from Fancy Factory only. But then again, they even change the publishers sometimes. Best example here will be "robin of locksley" by mudloop and deliverace. None of these games have the same name or publisher anymore. Robin is now known as "Robin Hood : Archer of the Woods" and will be published by chillingo instead. And deliverace is now known as "reckless racing" and will be published by EA. Tell me how your feed search pick these two titles automatically? I'll be really interested in knowing your solution here :)

Its definitely not as simple as you were trying to suggest with a single query. Too many variables to keep track of for an unreleased app. Once its out, tracking it really easy as you have the app id. Devs can change the name to whatever they wish and still there wont be a problem in tracking it. If appshopper implements such feature, they have to make sure that it gives the perfect result everytime and not just most of the times.

Still completely doable though. There are more ways to confirm the app is the same as the one you wanted. If they see enough demand for such a feature, they'll definitely find out a solution for this :)

Ahem, Thanks, I guess, for telling me to do what I thought I already made obvious in my post :p

Again, as I said, devs might be active here and might be making a list of all the requested features. Cant be sure though. But I so think the publisher of this app and owners of these forums might (again, just might, not sure) be related somehow ;)

Whoa, such hatred for ads? I love them. gets me free apps :D
    But then, to each his/her own. No real solution to this problem unless they decide to add a premium paid version (which I doubt, but arn will be the only person to know that for sure)

No probs :)

2. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    One of the features I would love to see is notifications for new apps from developers that you could flag. Also notifications for updates and price drops from developers that you flag. There are a few dozen developers that I would always want to know when they release new apps. There are too many new apps to monitor them all manually.

3. NiCOOo

NiCOOo Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Fantastic app !
    I love it :)

Some requests however:

- Push notifications with a price limit, like AppMiner or BargainBin
    - support for European stores :) Some sales only run in the US Store for example, and the price in euros could be great!
    - an ad free version? For .99$
    - iAd support for the ad system?

But don't touch the icon, it's beautiful!

Thanks guys :D

4. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    cool app !!

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    What? A search function is already built into AppShopper. There is even a search option in the app. It is just not possible to save searches that turn up zero results from the app. A simple button to watch for those search terms is all that is needed. (Perhaps that is a little more involved than I make it sound but it is certainly not as impossible as you make it seem.)

Two possible solutions come to mind:

1. Use better keywords in the search.
    2. Tolerate the occasional false positive.

If the title/dev/publisher/anything changes prior the release, the end user will have the painful task of retyping a word. Even my example app, Gyromaniac, was initially named Colonoscapade. I had to retype the name. :eek: :rolleyes:

It's a keyword search. It is easy. And what is with this arbitrary 100% accuracy stipulation?

Again, allow me to save keyword searches. It is as simple as that. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. I have shared the solution like 5 times now. A problem solving committee is not necessary.

You're welcome? :confused:

Of course they are.

Hatred is too strong a word. Let me put it this way: I would rather not have to look at

and that choice is available.

And really, the iTunes Affiliate Program doesn't generate enough revenue? Really? But I digress. Arn is free to put as many ads as he likes into his own app. It just makes it less appealing (to me.)

:D

6. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    AppShopper App Version 1.0.1 Out Now – Big Fixes and More

"Slide to Reload

Popularized by Tweetie, “Slide to Reload” allows you to easily reload the current view by pulling the list past the first item on the list. Just drag the whole list down and it will reload the view:
    [​IMG]

Swipe to Delete

A standard feature in many iPhone apps, you can down swipe from left-to-right in your Wishlist and My Apps list to remove an app from that list. Previously, you had to tap on the app, and then unselect the “Want It” or “Own It” buttons.
    [​IMG]

Other new features and fixes include:

- Remembers your password until you log out
    - Passwords with special characters now work
    - Links that appear in an app’s description are now tappable
    - Tap menu bar to scroll to top of list
    - Fixes an issue where the user would get bounced back to page 1 of My Apps or Wish List after navigating down several pages
    - Faster linking to the App Store
    - Lots of bug fixes and optimizations

Note that Push notifications, in-app purchase to remove ads, and much more is in the works. Push notifications will be the priority to get into the next update."

via http://appshopper.com/blog/2010/09/13/appshopper-app-version-1-0-1-out-now-big-fixes-and-more/

7. drfaygo

drfaygo Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    i still can't get tapping the menu bar to scroll me to the top of the list.
    (iPhone 4 32GB BLK iOS 4.0.2)

& xstatica's developer watch suggestions would be a great addition to the site. I'd love to watch keep an eye on the status of certain quality developers releases without having to add their entire catalogue to my wishlist. Not to mention that wouldn't cover their new releases.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the app, thanks a lot!

8. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #28 ImNoSuperMan, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    What's New In Version 1.0.2

9. drfaygo

Sep 7, 2010
    this is more of site feedback, but it applies to the app as well.

I think it would be awesome if you could see the total $ of Wish list and maybe even myapps.

10. holymadness

holymadness Active Member

Sep 17, 2010
    #30 holymadness, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Slide to reload was a very poor choice. It works on twitter because the newest tweets are displayed at the top; once you get to the end of the list, you refresh. Since new apps are scrolled through in the opposite direction (top to bottom), this forces you to scroll all the way back up before being able to refresh. It's inefficient and illogical. Bring back the refresh button.

11. drfaygo

Sep 7, 2010
    i used the refresh button just to shoot me back up to the top. I'd be okay with slide to reload if they could manage to make tapping menu bar to shoot to the top of the list to work.

12. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
  13. drfaygo

Sep 7, 2010
    any chance this version might also have the no-ad in app purchase?

14. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    They didnt mention but since it was supposed to come in one of the updates, it's possible it might be included in this update only. If not, I'm sure next one will have the optional IAP.

15. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Is it just me or have I not seen the iAd banner in a while?

16. drfaygo

Sep 7, 2010
    It goes away from time to time.

17. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I stopped using the app because it kept making me log in again. And about once in ten times, it made me type in my user name and password again.

I find it much more convenient to just use the web site. I only ever had to log into that once.

18. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Maybe iAd's dead... Only saw a few advertisers. Just checked Pocket Frogs and no iAd either. I know it goes away from time to time, but it's been a while...

That's been fixed.

19. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    What's New in Version 1.1

20. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask but didn't want to start a new thread.. Is there a way to automatically update Appshopper 'My Apps'? I only remember to do it every so often and I buy so many apps.. I don't want to go through the whole list trying to remember what I have and haven't added.

I know this is the thread for the app but ideally I would like to do it from the computer. Thanks.