Appshopper not updating

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by gekkota, Jun 13, 2018.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    The appshopper website hasn't updated in 2 days.
    Just FYI. Not sure what is wrong...

2. RandomizedKirbyTree47

Sep 2, 2017
    It still hasn't updated, even though I know some apps on my wishlist have updated in that time. However, another bug just showed up today: if I click on any app in my wishlist, appshopper says that is has been removed from the app store. I have checked many of them and they are still in the app store (at least in the U.S., I don't know about the rest of the world).

3. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    Yes, I noticed that as well. It is frustrating because if appshopper thinks it has been removed from the store I won't receive emails if the games go on sale...

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Should be fixed now.

5. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Eli - do you have any sway over at AppShopper?

Over the last couple of years, the list of price drops on popular apps has dropped from 10-20 a day to one or two a week tops. I think the threshold for what is considered “popular” needs to be adjusted.

6. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    Looks like this is happening again. The only thing updating is new games. Price drops have not updated in 3 days....

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I have "sway" in that I can bother the web developer behind it, but nothing really beyond that. It's been really annoying for us too as we use AppShopper to parse the raw App Store feeds into something that makes sense for TouchArcade content. Additionally, game threads which aren't having appinfo stuff loaded into them is because of AppShopper not working right.

gekkota likes this.
  8. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Yeah. It’s a real shame, but lately I’ve started having to look to other similar sites.

I don’t want to though, because I much prefer the UI of Appshopper - and that it links to TouchArcade reviews.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you find a better one please let me know as it'd be useful for us too, it seems most of the AppShopper-like sites all dried up when Apple significantly dialed back their Linkshare affiliate rates. Sites like AppShopper used to be absolute money making machines, but these days it more or less just exists to power TouchArcade and make a few pennies here and there. The Linkshare program Apple uses only pays for the initial purchase price of an app, and with almost everything going free with IAP, the revenue generated from these programs (particularly with Apple drastically slashing their commission rates) is next to nothing. This is also the reason why there's no AppShopper-like sites in the Android world, as none of the major players offer any kind of affiliate program so there's no motivation to build them as you'd basically be running it at a complete loss.

10. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    #10 dancj, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    https://appsliced.co/ Is the best I’ve found. Like I said, the interface isn’t as nice as AppShopper, and it only seems to do US dollars, but it seems reliable.

ColeDaddy likes this.
  11. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks a lot! The site is a mess, but with appshopper so unreliable I'm glad there's a different site that lists price drops...

12. Zghying

Zghying Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    It still hasn't updated, ugg. Its one of my favorite sites. I have tons of games on my watch list and need to add some more.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Believe me there is no one this is more frustrating for than me.

14. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    The demise of appshopper has really impacted the price drops forum. It used to be the first forum I'd check when I logged on to TA but now it's dead. It's too bad...

15. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    I assume appshoper is halfway dead...