Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    New update just popped for my 2nd favorite music making app (after NanoStuido), FL Studio Mobile. Still no per-track effects stack, but apparently stability and performance improvements are at the forefront of this update. Which is to me even better, because I own an iPhone 4 and latency/dropouts when a bit of an issue.

Thanks devs!

2. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

3. Habakuk

FREE right now and for a limited time only!

https://itunes.apple.com/app/amos-another-midi-osc-source/id403939169?mt=8

And a music game (forgive me please):

https://itunes.apple.com/app/flea-symphony/id561735767?mt=8

4. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Are there any music creation apps that use iCloud? I'd love to start an idea on my phone when I'm out and flesh it out on iPad later.

5. Habakuk

#1225 Habakuk, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    New:
    Minimalistic Pocket-Synthesizer monotone delay

KORG monotron DELAY Simulator; iPhone only (16:9)

[​IMG]

https://itunes.apple.com/app/monotone-delay/id737483162?mt=8

Tested with Sennheiser and AKG reference headphones: I don't know the KORG original personally—but there are clear and excellent monophonic sounds as expected. Fat and expressive. There is no possibility to record your playing yet directly on the device. No Audiobus or MIDI. Maybe in a future update? But promising! The price is only $.99 and it's pure FUN believe me.

Quote by dev:

Dev's website with some sound demos
    http://www.justuskandzi.com/

Monotron Series
    http://www.korg.com/monotrons

Extensive review of the original hardware w sound demos
    http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/korg-monotron-262689

Image of the original KORG hardware:

[​IMG]

Comparison iOS app and original hardware; it's not dance music but a demo so watch your volume controls:

Original hardware (squeezes out some nice tunes @ 2:50 and 5:15 maybe):

Perfect for beginners to get accustomed with analog synthesis (digitally virtualized of course). You don't need 'monotone delay' when you have the iMS-20 already (except just for fun because it's so small and so cute and so cheap and so powerful for itself).

More YouTube videos about KORG monotron DELAY.

6. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Caustic , universal, $9.99. Another complete studio in your pocket app. But this one packs quite a lot of pure synthesis power under the hood compared to other sample based apps (like Music Studio, BM2, FL Studio etc). I think there's 7-8 different synthesis techniques, and around 10 synths/samplers in total. Plus a host of effects ranging from the usual stuff like reverb and delays, to more exotic things, plus mastering effects to top it off. It all looks and works much in the same way as Reason. All in all, very impressive app (that previously was Android exclusive btw).

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

7. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    FL Studio Mobile new update added minisynth! :):)

8. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey guys,
    just wanted to ask for impressions of the new KORG GADGET App that just came out.

9. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Very easy to use, easier than ims-20 or ipolysix, the sequencer is intuitive, the gadgets look good, but i didn't have time to check them all. Some of them seem to be interesting, with unique sounds, not so easy to include them in a song, but for fun, it's perfect.

It looks like caustic, tabletop, or rythm studio, those app where you can use different modules to create parts of your song, but IMO, it's better with korg gadget because of the workflow, sa fast and intuitive. Caustic is great, but i have to admit that it's not so polished than this one.

It's out since yesterday, so maybe i'm a bit enthusiastic, but for now i think it's a extraordinary app, if you like sketching ideas. Maybe it's not so powerful than a synth like animoog or isem, but it's more versatile and funny to use.

10. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for the quick response!
    I already listened to the sounds via some videos and some other comments suggest that the UI is really great, fast and easy to use.
    Will def. keep an eye open for some more reviews as the sale will last some time into February.

But yeah, really appreciate your quick impressions.

11. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes. Very interesting indeed. I've been going through video/audio examples. One thing to note, it is only iOS 7.

12. Pepelutin

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I've updated my ipad's girlfriend with ios 7 for that. She has an ipad 2, and it works without any problem until six tracks. With ipad 4, 15 tracks can be played at the same time. I hope korg is going to improve midi support, audiobus and IAA.

13. scrotally

scrotally Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Who's your iPad's girlfriend?

14. Pepelutin

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Sorry for my english, i'm belgian and speak french. :)

I learn everyday!

15. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Lots of gadgets, lots of fun, sounds great. But it's completely lacking in the mixer section. It desperately needs a 3band para EQ on each channel, and preferably 2 aux with selectable effects.

Caustic got all that covered, so you'll definitely have a lot more control over how your mix is going to sound with Caustic then with Gadget. I'm a total Korg slut, but Caustic is at the moment ahead with its better routing/mixer system. I'm really hoping though that Korg will add a channel strip with basic EQ and perhaps inserts and a dynamics processor on each mixer channel.

It's really hard to choose just one here since both are very high quality products. If cash ain't a problem, get both, and you'll have around 25 or so new synths to play around it. ; )

16. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Sunvox update! New modules, optimizations, demos, song, etc. :):)

17. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    Think we'll ever see a bluetooth guitar jack for ios devices? I have a guitar interface already but I hate dealing with multiple cords coming out of my iphone so I almost never use it.

As far as I know, only headphones, controllers, and keyboards are allowed to pair with iPhones currently. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

18. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    I'm looking for a multitrack recorder for quickly throwing down song ideas / demos on my iPad. I used to use StudioTrack but it doesn't seem to work with my new Air.

Must have at least 4 tracks, mic input, and be easy and quick to use.

I've been eyeing Meteor but it seems like overkill for what I'd be using it for.

Anyone have any suggestions?

19. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Multitrack DAW is a fast and a solid multitrack recorder, with all the basic wav/track editing needed, basic but good EQ/reverb/delay/limiter/compressor. Also universal.

20. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    I was considering that one but was scared off by the fact that it hasn't been updated in over a year. Might have to grab it anyway.