Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    are the LoopMash apps any good ?

2. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I've only tried the free iPhone version. It's fun, and it sounds good. Question is how easy it is to make your own beats with the provided loops/material in the full versions.

Btw, Gestrument is now universal (I think it's 10 bucks). Pretty awesome one-finger controller/instrument. There's also a new LE version for the iPhone (only $0.99 at the moment), Audiobus support, can't make your own presets tho and I'm not sure about what kind of midi functionality is in there. But at 99c it's worth it either way.

3. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    So Steinbergs apps sale starts tomorrow. I believe Cubasis will be $35 during the week the sale will last. Dunno what Loopmash and their other products will be priced at yet..

4. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    yep cubasis and loop mash have dropped

($49.99 -> $33.99) for the “Cubasis” App.

($5.99 -> $2.99) for the “LoopMash HD” App.

($1.99 -> $0.99) for the “LoopMash” App.

suspect these are now a "bargain" :)

5. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Yea I got em all. Promise I won't buy another thing from the AppStore for atleast a month. Promise. :(

------------

Modular (a universal modular synth from Pulse Code) will be out on sept 12th. It's free. Or freemium done right (if these prices are correct)...So you get a bunch of free modules to start with. Each new module will be $0.99 or you can purchase an all modules, and all future modules, package for $4.99. Sounds really good to me. Unless the thing sound like utter shit of course. If not, I'm jumping on it. Next monthmorsomething ...

More info: http://pulsecodeinc.com/modular.html

----

By the way, words from various people from Steinberg and Audiobus devs is to wait a bit with the iOS 7 upgrade, atleast on any device you do NOT wanna mess up a project and/or lose some music apps functionality. I'ma jump on iOS 7 with the iPhone but definitely not with the iPad 2.

6. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Yeah! Definitely looking forward to Modular. Wish there was more info on iVCS.

You can still get Modular when it comes out and not purchase any IAP until next month. ;-) Unless you are worried you might be tempted to get the bundle once you download the app.

7. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#1207 Habakuk, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  8. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    So who gonna jump on iOS 7 and test out all these music apps before the rest of us jumps in? :eek:

9. Habakuk

No problem according to my experiences with previous iOS upgrades. Some music apps have been already updated. Some will follow. New iOS 7 features like Inter-App Audio (similar to Audiobus, which is said to support multi-device later) will be great. It will need some time, yet, until all music apps support it.

10. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Yea no doubt iOS 7 will be the biggest leap forward for music apps and people using iOS devices for music production. iOS 7 will allow system wide inter-app audio as mentioned, and MIDI communication (no need for a 3rd party "hack" solution), also other data communication system wide. Eventually sandbox solutions (all in one, synths, effects etc) won't be necessary since iOS 7 will allow an app to call upon/open other apps and recall the corrects preset/settings. Synth/samplers/romplers/effects apps will work just like AU/VST plugs on a computer, eventually.

Anyway, I was thinking more in the now. iOS 7 is rushed no doubt. And both Steinberg and the Audiobus guys have, with a bit of reading between the lines, strongly suggested to wait for a 7.1 version, openly on their forum. Which suggests there are probably quite a few snags/bugs in the initial version of iOS 7. I dunno...I'll probably update the phone anyhow, the iPad is my "main" music device so..

-----

In other news, a new really cool looking production app for the iPhone will be released on the 18th, Looptical. A mixture of traditional MPC pads and sample editing plus keyboard and scale based playing, effects like compressor, filters etc. Just saw it on palmsounds.net , dunno what the price will be yet tho..

Video: http://youtu.be/U4jz-VvyX6I

11. IcedB

IcedB Member

May 24, 2012
    #1211 IcedB, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Dubslate the Dubstep Mega Sample Pad is out now (iOS)

HTML:
    Dubslate offers the largest variety of Dubstep Samples available in one single sound bank.

Anyone can create super filthy live Dubstep Music!

Trigger beats by pressing up 11 pads at any one time.

Features:

*Professionally produced samples include: basslines, drum loops, one shots, sound fx and synths.
    *54 different sounds featuring risers, fx, bass fx, synth lines and drum loops.

Great app for dj's, producers and fans.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dubstep-dubslate-dubstep-pads/id690842964?mt=8

[media=youtube]ngU7l5_vLio[/media]

12. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Looptical out, $15, iPhone only ATM. Looks really great, got regular piano keys, scale "blades", drum pads, guitar strum interface, so it really seems to make good use of a touchscreen. It's a bit over 0,5gb download, hopefully it sounds good, and not like Music Studio or something. It does lack a piano roll to edit notes, but might be implemented later according to the dev over at Audiobus forum. Speaking if, it supports the new inter-app audio to capture audio from another app, as well as Audiobus.

Anyone tried it yet (will be out in US in a few hrs)? I'm mostly curious about the quality of the sounds right now.

13. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    The $30 synth TC-11 will have a one day sale, starting tomorrow (Thursday). Don't know how much it'll be, but it's the first time it's been on sale since it's release 2 years back.

Purchased Looptical the other day, and let's just say I did not have any remorse spending 15 bucks on it. It's a fresh new take on the complete-studio-in-your-pocket. It got your typical piano keys/double keys. Then there's the blades/scales where you also can assign things like velocity, mod and so on, and a quite huge library of scales. The third input method is the guitar/strum interface which works just like in most other dedicated guitar apps (chords/strum etc). And lastly the granulizer, which is more for doing weird effects etc with the sample(s). The factory samples sounds quite good when compared to other DAW-like apps like BM2, Music Studio and so on. Effects sounds decent. Anyway, I hope they continue to build on what sets it apart, which is the input methods (steal some ideas from garagebands smart instruments!) that lets you actually get some ideas going fast even tho you're on a 3.5-4" screen. Universal update coming soon-ish.

14. Habakuk

#1214 Habakuk, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Thanks for the heads-up, chris1a!

It's €26.99 —> €6.99. I bought it for the sale price. Played around with the presets for a while: No regret. Highly recommended! (Tested with AKG and Sennheiser reference headphones.) If you love experimental things just get it as long as the sale lasts. For NON-musicians: There is even a "full auto" preset (arpeggiator); it almost plays from alone and you can influence parameters by moving the iPad or multitouching the screen.

Maybe even worth the normal price!

Video. TC-11 and DM1 with very good sound (put your headphones on—the GOOD ones):

15. Habakuk

16. Habakuk

Oberheim Emulator: Arturia iSEM

[​IMG]

GET!

THAT!

FOLKS!

[​IMG]

Just listen to that:

Bought it (€8.99 what is NOTHING for all that original sounds and 500+ presets) and call me enraptured. Highly recommended! Tested with reference headphones by Sennheiser and AKG and PA equipment by Harman Kardon and JBL.

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2218/arturia-isem-new-synth-by-nave-devs
    (with video of the original hardware)

In this blogposting there are some screenshots of audio connections (Inter-App Audio with Akai iMPC and MIDI with Cubasis) and the manual.

iTunes/iOS App Store link:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/arturia-isem/id673921187?mt=8

17. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    The mini Moog never really clicked with me for some reason. But this Oberheim I really like. Sound wise it feels as fresh and modern today as it probably did back in '74 or whenever the SEM was released. I guess the extra stuff like the sub osc and effect section adds to it all, but still much more versatile and fat sounding then the Moog me thinks. Also works really well as AB or IAA unit even on low end hardware like iPad 2, unlike iMini. Could have something to do with Rolf from Tempo Rubato helping out with the iOS port this time.

18. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    excellent advert :)

19. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I have never seen that happen in real life tho. Someone bustin out their iPad and earplugs/phones in a cafe, while waiting for the bus, walking around in town, and just start making music. I think the iThor ad was similar btw. I don't think I'm capable of just zoning out like that, unless perhaps if I'm running, but kinda hard to bust out beats while running so..

20. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    possibly true but still an excellant ad
    ....even if not related to reality
    ....like every other ad