Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

I picked this up this morning .... it's not bad but it does have some noticeable clicks. I do like the 2 track drum kit but this too could use some perfecting. Melodica really has the quality that the others .... so far .... don't have but the others such as this and Paklsound1 have some great features, they just don't sound as good .... yet :)

2. marlenedegrood

I love making sound, especially when it actually sounds good, is fun to play and free. Xylophonist came out this morning and I've been playing with it off and on today. A nice break from Noise.io, Beatmaker etc. Just a fun good sounding app. LINK

And while I'm on the subject .... ZOOZbeat Hip-Hop is really fun and it's only 99 cents. LINK

I also bought their Latin and Classic editions.

3. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
  4. marlenedegrood

Jordan Rudess can make any music app sound good. I've been aware of Bebot since it's first release but I haven't purchased it because .... well ... I'm just no Jordan Rudess.

5. lafuria

lafuria Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I finally decided to get iDrum: Depeche Mode

After briefly playing with it, it's basically what I expected. I don't have the Rock edition, but I imagine it's similar. I could see myself making some industrial beats with this one.

6. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Bebot is really great, there's a lot more than the toyish appearance promises. And it just got a big update with presets and stuff.

Ellatron is also good, and it's getting updated regularly. I can't wait for the promised sequencer addition. A must for any prog-head.

I don't really understand all those apps that promise to be like Tenori-on... They really are lacking. Just driving a short sequence of bell-like notes does not make a usable instrument. They really should have several layers of sounds with pattern-chaining and recording options. Paklsound was an early attempt, but unfortunately the project was abandoned. A similar app with user loadable/recordable samples would be cool.

From the recently released music instrument apps I have liked the iSyn the most, balancing the stylished and easy interface, good number of features and excellent sound with cheap price. It feels like a pro-level synth/sequencer targeted to non-pro users, and as such there are some annoyances and compromises, but I think it really delivers. Never mind the stupid iName.

Megasynth is good too, but a bit more traditional (arpeggiator, sequencer and polyphony are the strongest points here).

7. marlenedegrood

8. frogtorch

Apr 26, 2009
    The Bebot update is fantastic!

I also picked up Ellatron. Very cool. It's got awesome sounds and is fairly easy to play, even with sausage fingers like mine. The programmable chords are nice as well. All in all, it's simple to program, yet effective as a little instrument.

9. marlenedegrood

Yep ... me too. Picked up Ellatron today thanks to the suggestion above a couple of posts. Also got Bebot after the update and loving that too.

Bring on the music apps! I'll pretty much buy them all :)

10. lafuria

lafuria Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    How exactly does ZOOZbeat work? I'm thinking of picking up the Latin edition

11. marlenedegrood

If you search youtube for zoozbeat iphone you'll find a few videos. I have all 3 editions and they're really kinda fun.

12. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    So can you export stuff from Ellatron? Cause I mean I am really interested in it, but I want it only if I can export tracks/midis to say, beatmaker or something of the like. I am sure you cant... but I thought I would ask. Or maybe there is a future update that will have a similar functionality?

13. frogtorch

Apr 26, 2009
    No sir.

From this helpful thread, I have picked up a decent app or two already and I am hoping to get some advice on another. Could any trumpet players recommend a good trumpet app? Is there one that's head and shoulders above the rest? Thanks.

14. marlenedegrood

You might want to check out WiviBand Link pretty realistic sounds and the fact you can blow into your iPhone gives you a lot of control ... be sure to check out the Jordon Rudess demo. I have this on both my iPhone and iPod Touch but even though the iPod Touch doesn't have a mic it still works but lacks blowing.

15. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Bebot just had an update to 1.5 and you can now save your settings :)

.......more posts in this thread please !

16. marlenedegrood

All My Current Music Apps

Ok .... I'll start by listing all the music apps I have between my iPhone and iPod Touch (not any any particular order).

Noise.io
    Beatmaker
    Zoozbeat (hip hop, classic and latin editions)
    Looptastic ( producer, drum n bass, trance & electro editions)
    Star Guitar Piano and Melody
    Frontier Design Groups iShred and Guitar
    Chordica
    iDrum Ministry Of Sounds and Rock editions
    Band
    Guitarist
    Bowls
    iTone
    Drum Kit
    Euphonics
    Jasuto
    Paklsound1
    DigiDrummer
    Melodica
    Xylophonist
    megaSynth
    Ellatron
    iGlassHarp
    synthPond
    Harp
    Bebot
    Wivi Band
    i808
    NLogFree
    iSyn
    KalimbaFree
    Boombap Drum
    Ocarina
    MiniPiano
    PanFlute
    Elementals
    Special Piano

The 2 apps that I probably use the most are Beatmaker and Noise.io

The newest apps on the list are PanFlute and i808.

Let's see your list.

17. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    hmmm... you've got everything then :)

Noise.io
    Looptastic ( couple of editions)
    Star Guitar Piano and Melody
    iDrum Ministry Of Sounds and Rock editions
    Bebot
    Jasuto
    DigiDrummer
    megaSynth
    miniSynth
    synthPond
    iDrum
    Bassline
    technoBox
    Thereminator
    SoundMatrix
    Randgrid
    Pianist
    Organist
    MiniPiano
    Keplers Orrery
    iSyn
    GrandPro
    Guitarist
    Bassist
    DepcheMode Sound thingy
    DB303(digital bassline)
    BtBx
    Bloom
    attractor(if it counts)
    Melodica

which of these two is worth getting
    Euphonics
    Ellatron

is Nlog any good ?

and yes i will when feeling flush with cash get beatmaker :)

looking at ToneBoard - which is due for an update and price increase soons

whats Chordica? - cant work out what it does?

18. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    this is just new and just out

Gravsynth

19. marlenedegrood

Take a look at the youtube demo ..... after watching I decided to hold off on buying Gravsynth .... the price will probably drop but even then I'm still not sure it's worth having. If you get it .... please let us know if it's better than it appears on youtube. youtube link