Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Are you guys aware of [app]Paklsound1[/app]?

There hasn't been hype over it lately because it's been in the app store for a long time. It's supposed to be pretty good, though. It has a lot of features for one of these. It has sharps and flats, which I'm pretty sure the others don't.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying the others, I just wanted make you guys aware it's there.

2. PowerThirst

PowerThirst Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    yeah definitely check out BeatMaker

3. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
  4. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    if beatmaker ever had a sale i'd pick it up but its just tooo expensive for the messing about with it that i'd do

5. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Paklsound just doesn't quite do it for me .... it sounds like video game bleeps.

6. marlenedegrood

ToneBoard .... another Tone Matrix app released about an hour ago.

7. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    i doubt it will ever go on sale so you're going to be waiting for quite awhile. that being said, seriously its 20 friggin dollars. if the same program was a pc program you would be paying a couple hundred bucks easy.

set aside a few bucks and instead of buying shite apps like car jack streets, buy this. you wont regret it

8. marlenedegrood

Ok ... so I spent the buck and bought ToneBoard. That was a waste of a dollar (don't waste yours). I'm keeping my faith in Melodica.

9. lafuria

lafuria Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    So far these serious music apps I definitely recommend:
    Noise.io
    Beatmaker
    iDrum
    Randgrid
    Star Piano/Guitar (They might not have the novelty of other guitar and piano apps, but are much easier for actually playing decent things plus Beatmaker compatibility)
    Jasuto

10. marlenedegrood

#70 marlenedegrood, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    Looks like iDrum has 4 editions ... Hip Hop, Club, Ministry of Sound Anthems and Rock. Which do you recommend?

Btw ... I have all the others except Randgrid ... not too sure about it (can you convince me). Even Jasuto .... wow ... quite a learning curve on that one.

11. lafuria

Apr 22, 2009
    #71 lafuria, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    Personally I use Ministry of Sound Anthems, because I like to play around with house beats. It depends on personal preferences really, it depends what type of samples you think you can get the most out of.

Randgrid is a bit overpriced, it's no Noise.io but it seems to be the most powerful of the oldschooled, analog style synths for the iPod. I admittedly haven't tried most of the alternatives but I don't think there is any 303 analog style drum machine/synths for the iPhone as powerful. Plus the makers seem very dedicated, and are looking into adding more features as well as potential integration with other programs. Technobox seems to be its biggest rival, I heard Randgrid is more powerful, but has a worse interface.

Jasuto...I have no clue how to use it, but the thing has tons of potential, and already can do things noise.io can't do from what I have seen.

12. marlenedegrood

I went ahead and bought iDrums Rock Edition this morning and I love it .... now onto Ministry of Sound Anthems. Thanks for the tip!

I also got Looptastic Producer and what little I've played with it ... I'm happy.

Lot's to learn .... not enough time. But ... I do have a month off between jobs coming up soon. That will be a short month but I'm looking forward to the time to better learn these apps.

13. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    thanks to whoever mentioned Jasuto !

at this introductory / sale price its a gotta buy :)

14. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Noise.io looks pretty cool. I might get it.

15. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    iTone for 99 cents
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=314077973&mt=8

iTone is a program that allows you to paint sound with your fingers in glowing colored light.

- 7 Musical Instruments to paint with.
    - 3 play speeds.
    - Ability to switch from play to "strum" and "touch" modes where you play the notes by strumming your fingers across the screen.
    - Save & Load your creations to show your friends.
    - Change the play direction on the fly.
    - Completely icon controlled, no complicated menus or options to read through.

16. marlenedegrood

Ok ... I'll give it a try .... I'm a sucker for anything musical.

17. lafuria

Apr 22, 2009
    Is there a reason to try the Looptastic "editions" over Producer?

18. marlenedegrood

I will probably get some of the "editions" eventually, but for now I wanted something to import my own loops into. Works great!

19. marlenedegrood

Definitely worth the 99 cents .... actually worth more. I played with this for about an hour last night and found it very entertaining and well made ... I would have played longer but I got really relaxed and a little "zened" out. I could see making some compositions that I might want to record into Garageband and make loops out of.

20. CreativeDev

CreativeDev Member

Apr 11, 2009
    If you're a rapper, or just like to freestyle, but don't know how to make beats. My team has an app in review that is like a looped beat soundboard. 9 custom and awesome beats that you can rap over. An update to mix different beats is going to come out too. Overall it's going to be pretty awesome.