Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    a bit of a followup to my previous post

After seeing so much mention of Noise.io on here I bought it too. wow, minisynth is a fun toy but Noise.io is awesome.

Admittedly It took me minutes to play with every aspect of miniSynth and it will be weeks before I consider myself proficient with Noise.io (I'm no musician and I never use hardware or software synths) but its going to be a lot of fun trying.

2. kholinar

kholinar Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Noise.io sounds really interesting... I thought about downloading it recently but held off... all the reviews are pushing me over the edge.

The neatest instrument app I've seen is Ocarina. It really feels like an analog instrument... of course, they don't use samples... you blow into the mic and that, along with fingering generates the tone...

Fun video of it here: Ocarina Demo

3. mckevittster

mckevittster Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Guitar Toolkit was one of the first Apps I bought for the iPhone and is still one I use most often. Over the years, I've spent a lot of money on metronomes and tuners, but still never seemed to have them with me when I wanted them! I play a lot of guitar and I use guitar toolkit almost every day and it's always been solid and reliable for me.

4. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    #24 icepulse, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
    I jumped on BeatMaker right away, and I'm very impressed with its scope, but I really enjoy using iDrum more. My review is on the top of the "Most Helpful" list, so its easy to locate. Read it for a full explanation as to why I like it better.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287410761&mt=8

Anyway, all songs at this address:

http://www.macidol.com/jamroom/bands/7652/music.php

As Follows:

A)Deep Ghost House
    B)Cyber Tots
    C)Strong To The Finnich
    D)Traxx O'Plankton

...were created (almost) exclusively w/ gaming device software. There are a few exceptions w/ certain tracks. On each song's "info" link, you can see what's what.

Please comment on the songs page, if you like.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #25 NotYou, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
    There's a new update for Synthpond. It seems to revamp the whole program. Even the graphics and notes are updated.

Now you can assign whole sequences to one node. This is actually shaping up to be a pretty useful app.

6. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    #26 tosui, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm soo looking forward to the new features!

(more soon, after I play/not sleep...)

Edit: Ok, I've played (not slept) and it's freakin' AWESOME! Zach added some amazing features in the update, like orbiting, note sequences (ask NotYou), and the ability to change bpm, decay, etc.

This is now my favourite music app, because you can make pretty straight-forward melodies *and* really great, random, generative music (which makes my knees weak. Really).

7. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Love the update. It really adds much value to this great app.

8. rc90

rc90 New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Guitar (or bass) players should have a look at Guitar Toolkit. I think it's a very useful app, especially if you're learning chords and scales.

9. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Hey rc90,
    I'm a self-taught guitarist considering getting the Guitar Toolkit. My fundamentals could use some work, so I was thinking this application could help me learn new chords and scales. Could you specify (the website and application description don't really help that much) how this application would help me go about this?

10. teagan1000000

teagan1000000 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I am a guitarist and I use: school of rock is very good for memorizing chords and notes, I also use guitar 4 you it's a very crude app but it has all chords and scale patterns.

11. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    iPhone and iPod touch create sweet music, cool video

"Only time will tell if we are about to see a trend for iPhone and iPod touch based music rather than simply listening to music on the go. As trends go The Mentalists have set a high standard, and future live performances could prove spontaneous events, assuming you've remembered to bring your iPhone or iPod touch."

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=25269

The Mentalists play Kids by MGMT on their iPhones and iPod Touches, using only apps downloaded from the Apple App Store. Apps used Ocarina, Retro Synth, miniSynth, DigiDrummer Lite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjx5_-SPhk0

12. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Randgrid (I might not be spelling it right) is incredible too! Ishred and Guitar are MUSTS!!! You can create songs and other people around the world can listen plus rate your songs.

13. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    #33 cptlockheed, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    +1 for RandGrid from here, too! I've invited RandGrid and Bebot devs to make an appearance here as both apps have been favorably mentioned on TA threads, but I guess we have too low traffic here to make any real difference on sales and PR :(
    (edit: don't take it wrong - both devs have been really friendly and informative in their correspondence, so I guess they have not appeared here only due to lack of time and maybe of audience).

My list of
    - great: BeatMaker, Noise.io, SynthPond, Bebot, BtBx, RandGrid, iDrum
    - ok: Minisynth, Guitarist, Pocket Guitar, Orthovox, Android, Minipiano, Aura
    - no use for me: Band, Cosmovox, Bloom, Paklsound, Digidrummer

(have probably forgotten many, will edit later)

Haven't tried iShred yet, looks like it could be great. I'm a bit wary of guitar emulators, the sound is quite impossible to get right. Various chord apps have been more useful for my real guitar play.

I'm in no way a real or even amateur musician, but have been doodling around with various hardware synths and dozens of softsynths for over 20 years. Now, having all these great iPhone apps has made my non-mobile "studio" collect dust!

Sami

Ps. The limitation on how many apps an idevice can hold is really annoying! I want to keep all my music, photo, drawing, language study & PDA apps on my phone, along with those many, many excellent games. How am I supposed to do that without jailbreaking... AARRGH! Sorry but this is my pet peeve!

14. aafuss

aafuss Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Gold Coast, Australia
    I use Beatmaker for music production-its powerful and I quite enjoy making music using it.

15. aafuss

aafuss Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Also has anyone tried Wivi Band from Wallander Imstruments?

16. cptlockheed

Dec 12, 2008
    Finland
    Well, I'm not going to blow into my phone unless Apple adds a spit valve to it first ;)

No, I know Ocarina was a success and blowing can be an expressive control, but still won't do it without a mouthpiece.

17. panoptic

panoptic Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Does noise.io support recording from the mic to then play around with the sample? I've been playing around with beatmaker and noise.io and loving them, but this is a feature that would be incredible. I know beatmaker lets you record a sample, but I want to process and distort etc my recorded samples.

18. cptlockheed

Dec 12, 2008
    Finland
    Nope. Noise.io is a synth, not a sampler or even sample player. All sounds are created from scratch by FM synthesis.

There are some limited samplers like Voice Keyboard for example, but the phone mic is really not good enough for quality sampling. I guess it is possible to connect an external mic to headphone jack with a suitable adapter (3xRCA) but haven't tried it.

19. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    i should upload my ambient works created solely from noise.io and beatmaker.

i have 2 pages of music apps. i have pretty much every guitar app, a few piano ones, bloom, both rjdj, synthpond and aura.

but beatmaker and noise.io are all you need

20. AznMarkofDaFiji

Mar 7, 2009
    Student
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I second that, I think Karajan is AWESOME.

But my most used music app is StayInTune, the tuning program. I LOVE being able to tune wherever I go with my iPhone.