Apps aren't allowed to look and function like a desk top?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#1 Syndicated Puzzles, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Our app " You" http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/you/id387611146?mt=8 is being removed from the app store today, because it is has all content accessible on the front page of the app. We spent the entire weekend streamlining the app and simplifying the user interface and improving issues we had with our first release.

The reviewer told me the app is being removed from the store today. The only way we can get the app to be reconsidered is if we remove all the buttons except for one button on the opening page. A user would click on this button and new buttons would appear leading to new choices. A cascading effect of buttons allowing users to access more information.

I am really lost and could use some clarification on this matter. I don't even know of an app that doesn't have multiple choices on the opening page.

Any ideas on how to get this resolved?

I am guessing we are supposed to show one item at a time and make the user try to find out the information by scrolling throughout the app.

2. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Sounds completely ridiculous to me, I'm guessing the reviewer gave you no indication as to which specific rule or guideline you were violating?

3. dug

dug Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Yeah, that's a weird one, but it IS specified in the approval guidelines that you can't simulate a desktop, section 10.4.

4. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Well there you go... so the trick is to figure out the least amount of change you must make for it no longer simulate a desktop!

5. Are your buttons all laid out in such a way that they look like icons on the iphone home page?

Can you post a picture of the bad start screen?

6. Syndicated Puzzles

Dug,

Yes it was 10.4 Apps that create alternate desktop/home screen environments or simulate multi-app widget experiences will be rejected.

That is the rule we violated.

7. Syndicated Puzzles

Here is the iPad opening page.

Attached Files:

8. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Hmm. Darn shame because it's a nice-looking app.

Maybe you could get away with hiding that top bar of buttons as a slide-out menu and re-submit? Might be all they are referring to in regard to on-screen buttons. Worth a try at least.

9. Syndicated Puzzles

We are guilty as charged. But stripping YOU down and putting all the parts in separate rooms kind of seems to be five steps backwards. You would think it would be in Apples interest to have well organized apps that fit on one page, especially on the iPad.

Essential Paradox your idea of doing minimal changes is welcomed. But it could take many attempts to get this right could take months to get this approved going back and forth with concessions.

10. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    WTH. I just tried this app yesterday (finally) and thought it was a pretty cool idea. Though it was kinda slow and buggy but that's something I thought would be fixed in an update :(

11. Syndicated Puzzles

We fixed everything. We released the first version too soon.( too excited ) We released an update and " You " was flying everything worked together so well and fast. Now this.

The stripping and combining of all related elements actually created this desk top look. Having the user dealing with the bare minimum is every developers dream. A good app hides the skeleton of the inner workings. Having all choices and buttons on the same page is desirable. Now I am digging for a crazy way to get around this mess. It is tough if you have already put the best solution forward.

12. Syndicated Puzzles

No communication with reviewers!

We quickly submitted a complete make over of YOU and still absolutely no response from Apple. The app has been down since the 5 th of Nov and no one is willing to help get it back up again. This whole experience has been very depressing since we have no idea what is causing this confusion. When I call no one wants to deal with the issues related to this app and they tell me to formulate an email request to expedite the review? After some emails, still no help? Meanwhile everyone who bought the app is requesting a refund. This one has been a nightmare with no end insight. I really hope no other developer has to go through this type of an experience. Taking it with a good spirit but it sure is not fair.

13. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    that is definitely an alternate desktop.

if they allow that it opens the doors for launching other apps from within your own app.

14. Syndicated Puzzles

We ripped that page apart and split everything up. Launching other apps from any page would be very obvious to any reviewer. That would never get approved. So I don't quite get your comment.