iPad Apples rating system.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Forerunnerz, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Something needs to be done with the kiddy submission system for the AppStore, the AppStore isn't flooded with 10 year olds yet lots of rated T and all of the rated M games are getting rejected. Seriously? I know that over 80% of people in the AppStore like more mature-oriented games.

I'm 13 and I like playing games with gore. What's going to happen when a developer makes an awesome FPS resembling Halo(FPS), CoD(FPS), or Gears(3PS)? I know what some of you might be thinking.. "Those are all next gen games, you can't compare them!" I have seen a Halo on the DS(never released) that played similar to Halo 2 so don't say that it isn't possible.

It was a HUGE letdown for me to hear that Hill Billy was rejected. It a game like Hill Billy that I wanted to see on the iPhone, no matter how dumb the idea of the game may be(Really dumb, E.G: Demented rabbits, saving carrots) I was really looking forward to it. It would of been the first 3D game to have nice amount of gore.

Imagine Gears of War without blood, or any other FPS/3PS. Takes out realism by at least 70%.

Apple's review system needs to be changed. Games intended for older gamers sell more than 2 times better.

PS: Anyone know if Brothers in Arms had blood in it?

2. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    What happens? The Cydia store begins to take off.

Also, 13 year old shouldn't be playing M-Rated games. Mind you Halo is OK 'cause I don't really know why its rated M, but Gears of War? I only started playing that when I turned 16.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member

It's no secret that Apple has stringent rules when it comes to what is and isn't acceptable on the App Store. I really have to question the logic of developers who knowingly spend time developing games that they know Apple is going to find objectionable.

If/when the Cydia store ever takes off, they will be slapped with a C&D and every available lawsuit the Apple legal team can think of to protect their 30% cut in app sales. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fairly naive.

4. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    We can play what we want, when we want. If your under age, then it's your parents decision. Technically you shouldn't be playing them either because your supposed to be 18.

I agree Apple rejecting stuff for being "mature" is stupid.

5. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Brothers in arms doesen't have any Blood :)().

6. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Key words are: WHEN I WAS 16.

I'm now 19. Just turned 19 last month!

7. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    The "problem" is the ease at which ANYONE can buy an app off of the app store. An eleven year old can navigate to any questionable content, and in two taps have it downloaded on the device. Apple doesn't want to be responsible if parents find mature rated games on iDevices. Apple could add a mature section to the app store that would act like the explicit songs, and could be filtered.

8. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    #8 Forerunnerz, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    Exactly, and I can understand games with sexual type of content on it not being appropriate for 13 year olds but I don't really care for violence. What's wrong with gore? Go watch some WWII videos or some of the things that are currently happening in the world, they are filled with gore but are important things. If you are restricted from looking at blood until 16, then your gonna freak when you start bleeding, or see someone else bleeding while under 16.

I know tons of 8 year olds FFS that play Gears. 13 is underaged? Majority of Gears gamers are in their teens and the majority of teens on them are 13-16 years old.

EDIT2Coral: Not trying to flame you in any way and not trying to be offensive:

I know tons of people over 9 that play games with gore, some even play games with more explicit content than I play. Parents these days don't care if there kids watch gore and violence, They care if there kids are like 9 or smaller. Also what 11 year old would have an iPhone? There are also ratings in the AppStore and passwords. If parents have control of the passwords, they can easily control what content there kids play.

9. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    If that happened then it would be the parents fault for having a credit card on the account and allowing there irresponsible eleven year old child to know the password to the account.

10. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Rating system ftw.

Have an age requirement for games.

11. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009

12. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    And those 8 year olds and other kids are what made me stop playing Gears and Halo 3. Nothing more annoying that having kids yell into the mic.

Voodoo, that's two things we've agreed on today! We're on a roll!

13. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    That's the thing:

Sometimes Apple seems to contradict itself.

Case in point:

Hill Billy has "excessive gore"...but the "gore" is no more "excessive" than in Zombieville USA. Yet Zombieville USA passes just fine.

Of course, one can go on to state the inherent difference between 2D and 3D visuals, and how that "colors" perception about what is and what is not acceptable, but, honestly...look at Hill Billy. There's really nothing "realistic" in that game. Same deal with Zombie Mangle, oh, excuse me...Alien Mangle. :rolleyes:

Very true. Anyone trumpeting Cydia as a "solution" has been hitting the bong one too many times.

An easier solution would be some sort of way to identify the ages of the users. Perhaps through credit card? But what of the gift cards? There are sticky issues.

I think that Apple should have a waiver form of some sort on any "mature" rated game. Something along the lines of "you hereby state that you are of age, and are thus able to play this game. If the agreement is signed under false premises, you hereby void the ability to hold Apple Inc. liable for your actions". Something that states "hey, you're doing this, and you agree to do this, and you don't hold us liable". Then again, by law, minors cannot enter into contracts without parental oversight or consent, so.... Yeah...tricky situation for Apple.

14. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I haven't checked, but are there any filtering options on the iPhone for internet browsing? I agree they feel they might have to protect themselves, but also what kind of parents actually let a kid have a password to itunes (music, movies, tv, games) that has unlimited access to credit cards, unless the kid has a balance from a gift card. Still, I got to imagine only the parent would know the password and that they would make all the purchases first hand to prevent foul music or other content not suitable to be viewed.

On to other things,

Their own rating system for violence starts at ages 9 and up and stays the same for that content for every rating higher. For containing mild or infrequent occurrences of cartoon, fantasy, or realistic violence, and infrequent or mild nature, suggestive or horror themed content which many not be suitable for ages under 9. The next rating up, 12+, appears exactly the same accept for simulated gambling.

So the other app, this Zombieville, you it's rating 9+, has red blood, brains and eye balls flying out of heads from shotguns. So what was so horrible about Hill Billy with monster rabbits we've seen so far with deaths that look less violent. Either the guy submitted it the 4+ rating, or there were other questionable content like foul language that might have insisted a 12+ rating.

15. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    The Cydia Store isn't going to get very far with games. Trust me. Themes, mods, etc. It will.

EDIT2Timothy: Well, because of it. The gore in Hill Billy has been removed. Either that or lessened.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member

Considering video game retailers now check ID for buying M rated games, I don't blame Apple at all for not even wanting to deal with the situation.

17. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I agree with everything that has been said in response to my comment. I want Hill Billy to come out just as much as the next guy, maybe more. I just assume Apple is taking a "better safe than sorry" approach to the mature content on the appstore. Is there system for buying R rated movies on iTunes? Perhaps a similar system could be used to regulate content.

18. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    #18 TimothyB, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    iTunes has the ability to restrict app purchases based on their rating system. So like in my last post, unless the Hill Billy developer submitted the game with a 4+ rating, then the 9+ rating should be fine for what we've seen, just like Zombiebille, unless there's more mature content that we don't know of yet, or Apple has some crazy idea any violence in 3D some how is much more worse than cartoon violence. But their own rating system treats fantasy or realistic violence no different than cartoon violence. And from the Zombieville trailer, I don't think there could be any way to be less excessive...

hold up... they list something slightly different on the zombieville app page for violence ratings despite their actual rating description page.

On the zombieville page, it says "Frequent/Intense" for cartoon or fantasy violence, yet uses the word "infrequent" for mild realistic violence and horror themes.

But on their game ratings page, the 9+ rating says "infrequent" occurrences for both cartoon/fantasy and realistic violence.

This is unfair to a developer if Apple's rating system changes from where you read. Why does the Zombieville 9+ app suddenly allow for frequent and intense cartoon and fantasy violence when that is not state in the main rating page? Apple should be sued for misleading a developer that thought their 3D violence was considered on the same level and frequency as cartoon violence, such as Zombieville at 9+, for delaying their product and cost to change the content to pass what they themselves were not clear on.

Say the developer saw a game like Zombieville in the store, rating 9+, and viewed how violent it was, then checked Apple's rating system and found realistic violence was treated no different than cartoon and fantasy, but didn't notice that the Zombieville app page some how had a different rating system for violence at 9+, so they choose to submit their game based on Apple's rating without knowing Apple had mislead them with a possible out dated description.

19. danc4498

danc4498 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Considering M rated games sell so freakin well, it's dumb of Apple to keep the store so clean... This just makes it apparent that apple needs to rethink their rating system, and how they ensure underage people aren't purchasing these games.

The day Rockstar wants to bring GTA to the iPhone, Apple would look like morons for wanting to block it. Plus, id has a lot of great fps games that will continue to push these boundaries.

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The more I think of it, though...the less I think a game like Hill Billy even needs red blood. I mean...honestly...you're in combat against giant...rabbit...monster thingies...with what look like insect mouths.

I wouldn't care if those things bled neon green.