Apple virgin

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SirClive, Feb 9, 2009.

1. The iPhone is my first Apple product (except for the old Apple II that I got in a job lot of retro computers/consoles last year - but I haven't even switched that on yet).

I do a lot of video editing for my website and hear a lot about Macs being the best for this. Can you guys tell me why this is the case?

2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    One of the big reasons is simplicity. The hardware on a mac is generally better suited for video, but things are getting so advanced so fast that it really doesn't matter.

I've spent countless hours video editing and I definitely say the biggest factor is simplicity. If you've done a lot of editing, you know how important it is to have organization. Everything on a Mac, from the way it handles the video clips to the menus, makes it better for video editing. If you're doing a large project, the hassles that come with a PC are way too significant. If you just edit small clips, either one will work fine.

Apple has been concentrating on making their systems work better for editors too. Once it became apparent that so many people were specifically using Macs for editing, they really milked it. There's a reason why Final Cut only runs on Mac.

With Final being published by Apple, the whole program work pretty much flawlessly with OSX, even you're networking. It crosses the line between an editing program and an editing machine.

3. Cheers.

If I get a Mac I would probably go for a laptop for ease of use. Are they just as good for video or are the desktops better?

4. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

The iMacs are generally the same sort of power (although with bigger screens and drives) but the Mac Pro is a lot faster, to the point of being overkill unless you're doing serious TV and film work.

Then again you can't take a Mac Pro with you to an outdoor video shoot like a MacBook Pro and edit footage in the breaks to see what it looks like while the light is still good ;)

5. Yeah, having a mobile editing suite would be useful sometimes.

6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a MacBook Pro that use for editing. Like Zwilnik said, it can be overkill, depending on what you're doing. If you do any effects or anything that requires heavy rendering, then something at least as powerful as a MacBook Pro is definitely recommended. I can play unrendered video with effects in Final Cut on this computer, which was almost unheard of a few years ago. If you're just splicing clips, you won't need anything that serious, though.

If you're going portable, do not get a regular MacBook. They handle video differently than a MacBook Pro and you'll likely end up with some obnoxious issues. It's worth it to dish out the extra money. It'd be like buying a car that you know can't handle highway speeds, but you get it because it's a bit cheaper.

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I can understand with the previous MacBooks using intel video chips and sucking ram to help itself. But would the latest white ones that have upgraded video chipsets to nvidia 9400?

8. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    It still shares the RAM from the whole computer. If you want to edit video INTENSELY, get a macbook pro, imac, or mac pro (though not necessarily the mac pro unless you wanna edit a TON). The iMac is a little older hardware wise so that may help your decision as well, but either would be great if you are interested.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #9 NotYou, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
    You can get an iMac with a huge screen for about the same price or less than a Mac Book Pro(I haven't looked at the prices in a while. I got my MacBook Pro last spring.).

If you want to use it on location, then a McBook Pro is priceless. I don't use DV tapes anymore for the most part, except for backup while recording. I record directly to my computer. This is especially useful when shooting a green screen. You can do fast test runs to make sure everything is working properly.

If you pay attention in most TV shows, the laptops most characters use are MacBook Pros with the Apple logo covered. That's because they're always readily on hand on the set. (They do that so they don't have to shell out money on an expensive prop that will probably only get used once).

10. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Also, the new MacBooks don't have Firewire ports. Which is a bit of a killer for most people doing the video with firewire connected video cameras. Fortunately the new MacBook Pros still have them.

11. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    That's how Apple sucked me into buying the pro. For video equipment and faster transfers to my External HD