iPad Apple: "the iPhone is a gaming console"

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CraigLaw, Dec 13, 2008.

1. CraigLaw

CraigLaw Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Content & Community Manager, EA Mobile
    Los Angeles, CA
    #1 CraigLaw, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    I was just responding to a thread late last night on this same subject and today this appeared on Engadget

During an ADC "iPhone Tech Talk" in San Jose, Geleynse apparently waxed excited about the potential for the handheld as a viable threat to the DS (and the PSP by proxy), calling the iPhone a "gaming console" and claiming that "it's not a phone, it's a console experience."​

Link to the full article on Engadget

2. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Just to offer my personal two cents, I do believe that can be considered a "Console", however it has not rivaled the PSP in any way at all so far. PSP has muchhhhhhh better games, even better than BIA, Ferrari GT, or anything else.

DS, on the other hand, is IMO a pretty weak gaming system (They're pretty lame). Iphone/Itouch can DEFINITELY compete with a DS (HeheDShehe)

3. tizzyler03

tizzyler03 Well-Known Member

I think it is, yet its more than that. It's a phone-gaming console far beyond the N-Gage. I was playing Platypus, got a call, talked for like 30 seconds, ended the call, went back to playing Platypus - easy as pie! That experience just made me appreciate the iPhone even more than normal!

There is so much opportunity and possiblity with games and apps, I can't even imagine what will be out in the next year!:D

4. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    As a PSP and a DS owner (I also own the PS3, the Xbox 360 and the Wii), I definitely see the gaming potential within the iPhone. Games like Hero of Sparta, Orions: Legend of the Warlords, Warfare Inc, Fieldrunners and many others have proven this.

Just to give you an idea, I rarely carry my PSP or DS anywhere anymore.

5. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    You are now an iPhone gaming convert!

6. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Old news there Craig. But yeah, hopefully companies like EA take advantage of the iPhone's power. I'm tired of playing sudoku and brick-breaker.

@Fubit86:
    I think you're confusing looks with fun seeing as how the DS outsells the PSP by a HUGE margin both here and the rest of the world.

7. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd say so. The iPhone has the most potential out of them all, and while it isn't traditional gaming, it will most likely turn out most successful (just like the Wii).

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    PSP is much weaker than DS, IMHO, because all their games are port of console games. It does have beautiful visuals, but there's nothing unique at all.

DS doesn't have great visuals, but it has unique games, such as Brain Training, Nintendogs, Cooking Mama, ER, Kirby, etc. Whether you like it or not, you can't deny they're unique and attract casual gamers. The sales number proves it. It's the best selling gaming console of all time.

Now if the iPhone is trying to be PSP, it will never be successful. It must have unique games - some games which set iPhone apart from other consoles and play to iPhone's strength. That's the only way iPhone can be a truly great console – more long lasting than 'great visual'.

9. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York

That made me laugh. Hard.

Console quality? Not even close... yet...

10. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I think that if you are the type of person who used the DS to play Brain Age or Tetris and Super Mario was pushing your gaming threshold about as far as you cared to take it, then yes, the iPhone will more than meet your needs. But if you are like the boys in my dorm when I was in first-year university, who spent all their free time playing some sort of world-building game over the then-brand-new campus-wide Ethernet, then no, I don't think it's a console.

To me, they should be branding this as the ultimate multi-purpose device: organizer, games, music, ebooks, video all in one. I am amazed they are not leveraging the ebook angle more and are leaving it to third-party apps (Stanza, eReader) to do that. For me, this was what pushed me to get one. I could replace, with one device, my eBookwise reader, my iPod nano, my DS and my Palm handheld. In fact, I just put my DS up on Craigslist.

11. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Keep in mind "consoles" aren't just Xbox, Playstation, Wii, etc.

Portables like the DS and PSP are considered consoles, too. And I've played better games on my iPhone than I've ever played on a DS.

12. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Heck yeah! Dropship and Platypus are all the games I need :)

13. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    Something to look at is that game developers and big companies are trying to market to more than just the gamers now a days. They want to get your mom, grandma, and the whole family involved. If you look at DS games they have cooking games, IQ games. PSP seems to stay more with their gaming crowd but gives the option of watching movies and other nice extras. The iPhone does it all. We need a mobile phone now if you don't have one well, you get left out a lot. On this phone we can access the Internet, take pictures, listen to music, watch movies, and do whatever else the apps we download let us do. The big one of course being play games! The iPhone as a gaming console alone wouldn't be able to compete but the added utility and productivity you get out of it is what helps it to hold its own. I also have to say the convenience in portability and the affordability of the games.

14. PHARTGAMES

PHARTGAMES Well-Known Member

IMO iPhone/iPotch is somewhere between a ps1 and a dreamcast performancewise. So i'd say definately worthy of "console" status.

The only thing i think the iPhone is lacking, is first party slimline attachment with a dpad, and buttons that doubles as a protector, so you can still fit it in your pocket and you never need to remove it. With an official api that all games can have the option of supporting. many games would benefit from not having to obscure the screen with big grubby fingers. I'm sure we've all seen those roll up silicon keyboards... something similar wouldn't be a giant stretch for apple i'm sure.

I have no idea how people can be bothered playing the million and one different versions of what is essentially whack-a-mole when you cant even see what you are doing half the time.

end rant.

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Good rant. But are you implying my fingers are grubby..... Ok ya caught me. Please PG don't abandon games development for pariphreals, do both! :)

16. CraigLaw

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Old news? It was just published today after an ADC confernce. You have a time machine somewhere you want to let me borrow :) jk

If you mean the discussion, yes, you're correct - I realize that this is not the first time it's been mentioned. It's just something cool I wanted to share and on topic with what I've been posting lately.

CL

17. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^ This...

18. CraigLaw

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe I'm not understanding you. Are you implying I shouldn't have posted this because you've heard this before? Hmmm

Also, I don't think that anyone is saying the iPhone today is a PSP or DS killer. Lets remember, the iPhone is first and foremost a communications device. PSP and DS is a gaming console.

Another thing, to put things in perspective. A few years ago (when EA Mobile was JAMDAT) we had a version of Tony Hawks for the LG8000 that was essentially a port of the PS1 game. The controls were a little awkward to me but the point being, this was a handset that was WAY less capable than a smartphone, or even an iPhone, running a console game.

19. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^^ No, I don't care what people post. If so I'd probably have a heart attack from all the Rolando threads. I just think this issue has been debated to death before, including here at TA. I'd look for the threads but I'm too lazy...

20. CraigLaw

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're probably right in that this could've been part of another thread rather than opening a new one for it. I too, was lazy to search for it I guess.

Noted.