Apple should remove customer reviews.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Scaramoosh, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Just have ratings and the most popular rating should be the score it gets. So say a game gets mostly 3 stars, then that is what shows instead of the 5 bars and comments. I'd much prefer a meta critic system with critics reviews being the high lighted ones, however sites can't review every app. This is another problem really, Apple allow too many apps on the store, lots of them use false advertising for sales.

Back to my main point though, I read so many stupid reviews like how people review a game poorly cause it has bad performance on their 2nd generation of iPod touch.... what do you expect? Get a new one! You get reviews of people complaining about price, £3 isn't too expensive, play on any other platform and see their prices. I also love the ones who complain that they bought a £2 game and the next day it's on offer for 59p or something.

I hate user reviews, I think they're a stupid idea personally. Keep the ratings cause I think on the whole they work, just show the one with the most votes and get rid of the comments.

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hmm I disagree, many times I've read reviews that helped me to not purchase an app based on low quality, or bugs, ect.

3. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    definitely not, although some people leave stupid reviews, they go both ways and level each other out. I find its much more beneficial to read reviews from average buyers as opposed to just a star based review system, and the more variety in reviews the more likely you are to get a fair base of reviews. The system where other users can say whether the review was useful or not also helps to remove the poor reviews.

4. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I have to agree on this also. Although there is a lot of trash reviews, some have been helpful in making a purchase or not. I've found some post reviews on an update of a game that makes it playable (or not) that I'd been waiting on.

5. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    No way! I put a lot of time and effort into my stupid 1 star reviews. Not to mention the money I wasted. I see it as a way to warn others not to make the same mistake I did. I always leave my device and OS info. Blah, blah, blah...

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I'm tired of all the idiotic "retina whiners."
    It should be clear from reading the app description whether the game is optimized for retina or not. There are a lot of morons who buy a non-retina game, and then give a bad rating because it doesn't support retina! How stupid is that??

You don't hear many iPad owners whining that the games aren't universal, and the iPad has been around longer than the iPhone 4. The problem is that there are just way too many crybabies writing reviews in the app store, and the problem is more with the iPhone 4 owners than the 2nd gen touch owners. Before retina came out, it was the 2nd gen Touch owners whining, but now the problem has become all the retina crybabies.

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I disagree.

8. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #8 dyscode, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    I totally disagree!!

People have invested money and have a right to voice their views!
    Also critiques often have THEIR opinion which IS NOT necessarily right or absolute just because they are on the web somewhere.

Also you can rate reviews in the AppStore and ONLY review App that you actually bought, something the goes completely missing in e.g. Amazon!

And besides from that: your `trust`in authorities is comparable to give up the freedem to express yourself, without even the need for somebody else to take it away from you.

It´s somehow analogue to indie App developers run into the arms of internet publishers, just because they think these know better and give away the rights of their work with nobody forcing them to do so.

So I will gladly take some retina whiners, nickel nursers and other dumb heads if it means I can express myself at my will, too.

If you censor others you should be prepared to be censored by others.

9. Reviews also help me to know if I should update my application or not. Sometimes an update will introduce undesirable features and the comments of reviewers are the only way to know.

10. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I think its fine because you know the stupid reviews when you read one even if you dont own the game. So you can then skip them and read the serious reviews and see what the game is really like.

11. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    When I re-read what I posted, I realized that it sounded like I was agreeing with the OP about getting rid of app store reviews. I am not!

I think app store reviews are very important-- I always read the reviews before buying or updating an app. My other post was just a rant against the retina crybabies, not app store reviews in general.

12. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World

it´s ok we got your back covered in the meantime ;)

13. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I know I am late but...

yes I quite agree lets leave everything up to a number system. No descriptive qualities at all... no words. That'll teach them for wanting to express opinions about things they have payed for and used (hopefully).

14. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    TouchArcade should remove Scaramoosh.

[​IMG]

(For the burn.)

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh is that what those are supposed to be? All I saw was:

DOsent support 4.3.X!!!whywhwywhy:mad::p;):cool::mad:mad::mad::(:(:(ILOVETHIS GAME:D:D:D