iPad Apple should help coordinate bundled packages

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    For me personally, I've decided to no longer spend $9.99 on a game because of budgetary concerns and earlier ripoffs - and I think a lot of people think this as well, which might slow down some of the apps stores' "honeymoon". This is a shame since there are so many high quality games coming out around this time and the apps store may start to suffer.

Though 10 dollars is past my present limit, I would, however, be willing to $20for three 10 dollar games. I think that apple should help coordinate different developers who sell similar games and bundle-package some of the better stuff - that way we, the consumer, win since we're getting prety good games for a good individual discount, the developers win because they're getting money they wouldn't have gotten originally (since so many of us are now just waiting for prices to go down even further), and apple obviously wins.

Bundled games - I can't see any downside.

2. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    Do we get to choose the games or are they chosen for us in the package. If so that would mean we spend money on a game we want and also spend money on a game we don't want. There is a downside.

3. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Well, how does this sound. Say there's a shopping cart kind of program on the apps store, but the prices noticeably go down individually as you're adding apps. So, just off the top of my head (just gonna add a cent to all prices to make it easier):

Click on Brothers in Arms: $10.00 = $10.00 total
    Click on Kroll : $7.00 + $5.00 = $12.00 (savings of $3.00)
    Click on Monopoly :$7.00 + $3.00 + $8.00 = $18.00 (savings of $5.00)
    Click on Hero of Sparta :$7.00 + $3.00 + $5 + $10 = $25.00 (savings of $8.00)

This is just off the top of my head - perhaps the savings should be even greater. But I still think it would provide enough incentive for people to be buying these goods. Apple would have to figure how to properly reallocate the price of goods with some macro program, but I really think it could work!

4. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin
    Or if you don't like one of the games you don't buy the bundle and can still buy just the game you like at it regular or sale price. Its not really a downside unless you are someone who can't pass up the fact that you get 2 games for one price...

Me personally, I dont see 2 DVDs boxed together and say, 'OH man I love that movie, and dang for $5 more than I would have paid I get a Steven Seagal movie too, I have to do it."

It is a very good idea and one of the many things that Apple is missing in their
    store setup....

The checkout thing I dont like, Id rather control my own sales and that would essentially cut into my price without my permission.

5. PHARTGAMES

PHARTGAMES Well-Known Member

perhaps if 5 actual dollars were worth 7 itunes dollars it would be much simpler to offer discounts instead of a direct 1-1 conversion when purchasing itunes cards.

They are guaranteed that they will get the customers $5 so why not sweeten it by giving an incentive to buy the cards?

6. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Buy a $200 iTunes giftcard off eBay for $100 and bada- bing bada- boom, you are getting 50% off of games

7. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Bumpity bump bump bump

8. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    I'll take your "bump"...when did this start sounding like a World of Warcraft forum btw?

You forgot the one "teeny weeny itsy bitsy" factor in all this...

The developers who make these games. Who's going to cover the costs of these games bundled together? I can see this happen with the bigger "publishers" but not the individual gaming companies...and I doubt Apple is going to pick up the tabs on these "savings".

9. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Let developers collude with one another and have them establish approrpiate compensation.

10. MCRrokz

MCRrokz Active Member

Dec 23, 2008
    ...seriously

lol, cuz when someone wants to save me money I don't let them until I make sure that i'm not missing out on anything by paying full price.

11. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    But how many developers have quality applications that are ignored due to the sheer volume of what's out. Bundling two apps, perhaps one lesser known program with a more popular one, could help resolve this issue, and the developers could discuss what would an appropriate division of revenue would be.

12. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin

Ummm.. I'm a Developer.. LOL. So Im losing the money you are saving if Apple cuts into my price with this shopping cart thing without my permission.

Yes, it works great if I can team with other developers and create these bundles, or even have a place to setup that says hey all developers Ill take x% off if they buy mine with yours. But I dont want Apple controlling it unless they are gonna cover the sale out of their percentage.

13. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    TBQH, it probably would be better if developers could bundle their own games. Much easier to deal with.

I had a similar idea posted in another topic, but of that "developer bundles one of his/her less profitable games with the more profitable one" variation. Or older game with newer game.

Probably a way to test the waters, and something that may actually help a developer's newer game sell, is to piggyback a demo of the game onto an older game (and vice versa). I threw that idea out to Frand in his Zen Bound announcement topic. SPiN apparently isn't having the type of returns originally expected. Zen Bound may be the avenue to promote SPiN, and the reverse holds true as well. Bundle in a demo of one game in the other game. Have a "limited time only sale to promote Zen Bound" sale for SPiN. Bundle the "lite" versions together as well.

Developers could also do this to help out other developers if they wish. Cross promote games by bundling in a free "lite" version of another developer's game.

Going with the "buy two for less" idea, which I think would be much more difficult to implement amongst developers and would be better and more easily implemented by a single developer for his/her crop of games, I think a "if you bought this game, you get such and such percent off this other one" wouldn't be bad. Or bundles even. Developers on consoles do it periodically. UbiSoft did it for Prince of Persia Sands of Time a while back, when they bundled it with the much better selling Splinter Cell. It gave the IP enough of a boost that when they released PoP: Warrior Within at full price the game saw higher sales figures than the previous game.