iPad Apple really needs to sort out the 9 page limit...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by spiffyone, Jan 2, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    ...as I've just hit it today.

Sort it out already, Apple!

I should be able to put my game apps in a "folder" instead of going through iTunes and picking and choosing.

I mean, honestly...who does that with their music and movie library? Why should games be any different?

To add insult to injury, those who jailbreaked their devices have access to just what I'm asking for...and I don't want to jailbreak (nor will I), because I don't want any issues that may arise and I want developers who've put time and effort into their apps to succeed.

WTF, Apple? Seriously...WTF!?

:mad:

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, folder's would definitely be the way to go, but knowing Apple, the software change would take a while.

3. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    There needs to at least be ways to better categorize the 9 pages... i hate dragging individual icons around a bunch of pages as i try to get them right.

4. adin

adin Well-Known Member

Actually, even if you've jailbroken, you still run into an overall limit on the number of apps you can have installed -- I hit the limit about a month ago & I have to delete an app for every app I install.

But Apple definitely needs to get this sorted!

5. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I need more than 9 pages!

6. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    My god people! Do you HONESTLY use all of those 9 pages of apps on a daily basis....DELETE the ones you don't play as much...out with the old in with the new!!!!

7. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    I did that just now after downloading some new games (Bounce On, Space Ninja, and Saturday Night Fever lite). Suffice to say bringing one over from the next to last page to what I forgot was the last page bumped the rest forward, and there went Papi of Papi Jump+ fame into the dark oblivion at the end of reality.

Where did he go? In what new adventures will Papi find himself?

Who knows but iGod, Steve Jobs. :mad:

8. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    I tend to play quite a few of them, though, as I usually have long trips on the NYC subway and test out new apps (not only games, but others) quite often.

And why should I delete them?

Do you delete music from your playlist very often? I mean...honestly now...why are games all that different?

9. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Actually yes, I do delete music I do not listen to. I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it, just saying that 9 pages is A LOT of apps

10. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    There are lots of apps I rarely use but I want with me everyday in case I want to use them. Translator or Now Playing, for example. So, the 9 page limit does get to be a problem, even if there aren't 148 apps I use daily.

11. sygg

sygg Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Part of reason of Jailbreak.

12. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Agreed. I hate disorganizing my apps everytime
    I don't know how that can work. Do you have folders that can jump up and hold so many. I don't think that there are enough apps to fill that much space. Can't you have sub folders or something.

Probably, and folders makes more sense. I would only have about 3 pages, mostly of folders, but they need to have specialized icons, as the little arrow, over and over isn't going to cut it.
    I need something.

I also don't want to delete games that I have beaten. I never delete my music, but I just recently reorganized it, to only have songs that I have played, as my iPod filled up, and I wanted more apps.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I honestly don't use all 9 pages, since I usually get bored with most of my apps long before I fill my touch, but I can't really categorize stuff well. I try to keep games and other apps apart, but since I'm adding they usually end up blending together, making me swipe left and right on an app scavenger hunt. Putting the apps back together on seperate pages is a pain, and they keep getting bumped.

14. brewstermax

I have mine, not organized, but placed to where I always know where they all are.

15. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    True, 9 pages is a lot of apps.

But then you have to factor in that there's productivity apps that do what apple's own don't (some writing apps offer landscape for easier typing, which is lacking in Notes, which cannot be removed btw). And there's eReader, which I often use (and which, btw, allows me a "folder" of sorts for e-books in various formats).

And then there's the FACT that that first page is filled with redundancies that cannot be changed. Why, for instance, can I not delete the youtube app? Why can't I have the option of getting rid of it and just using youtube through the safari app? Why can't safari on iTouch/Phone have a "favorites" bar like the full fledged Safari for desktop? Do I really need the weather and stock apps myself?

But those are mere quibbles, really. The lack of a folder option of some sort for the games, however, is not user friendly despite what Apple seems to think. And if they really want to market the iPod touch as a device for gaming, as the new ads seem to suggest, then they've really got to sort this out.

16. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd like to have easier syncing between the "iDevice" and iTunes. It's qite a hassle at the moment.

17. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Don't even get me started on the app store. That's another thing Apple needs to sort out.

FYI, Apple: Casual consumers may be confused by the fact that you have the "iPod games" link right above the app store link when they buy their shiny new iTouch/Phone and look for some of the games. Just sayin'....

TBQH, when looking for games I might like, I don't even bother searching through the app store anymore. I just come here and use the links available. It's just easier.

18. brewstermax

Yes, but still, there are over 10,000 apps out there

I love WritingPad. Based on a method, called Swype, shown off at CES last year (love how I can say that about stuff in 2008 now) It is great, and I want to fully delete some apps, or allow another font in Notes other than Marker Felt.

That would take up too much space, but I always use Bloomberg and Weatherbug for those two, so it would be nice to get rid of them.

Yes, the low cost, and high quality mean that people have way more games than on a PSP or DS. It does need sorted out, and soon. I'm hoping for 2.3 at Macworld.

19. brewstermax

Try appshopper, or send yourself a PM with a linktoapp.com link. I don't like to search, but sometimes you have to.

20. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I have reached 9 pages but still have empty spaces between pages. Agreed. Something like Category would be nice as I would like to sort my app according to the category.