Apple putting the squeeze on iPhone developers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Varkman, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Not the developers forum?

Can we continue debating where this thread belongs instead of actually discussing the (potentially) massive change this is going to bring to the App Store depending on how Apple interprets the fine print in its own contracts?

2. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

I reckon most bugs wouldn't qualify for a refund, unless they render a game unplayable.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Well that will be the interesting thing to see, what Apple's definition of "unplayable" is. Hopefully they actually have some rigid guidelines in place unlike the App approval process which seems to be luck of the draw more than anything else.

4. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Ugh. Why does this keep coming up??? That Vendetta guy yesterday kept going off about it too.

Ok, folks, here it is: Paragraph 6.3 of the new agreement is identical word-for-word with the original agreement that we developers electronically signed to sell apps in the store. I have the old and the new one in front of me. Does anyone read contracts anymore? :) This does not mean Apple's giving out refunds to anybody at any time the user feels like it.

This agreement is being pushed to allow developers to sell in the dozen+ new countries that are getting the App Store starting in April 2009. There is no change to existing refund policy, no returning apps with no questions asked within 90 days. Apple will continue to award the occasional refund they always have, and no more.

Nothing to see here... move along... :D

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Hopefully this is true, cause devs are getting worried. Maybe you could post over at Neogaf?
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15218521&postcount=52

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It keeps coming up because every time a blog posts about it, they get 1000 Diggs, it shoots up the charts on reddit, and the "ARGH CRAPPLE!!! [​IMG]" crowd IM it to all their friends.

So really, from an advertising impression and page view standpoint, the best thing you can do is post about how Apple is screwing over the little guy... regardless of accuracy. ;)

7. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Ok, so is there something I'm supposed to sign to accept this new amendment? I can't seem to find anything and I haven't received any e-mails

8. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Ha ha, I suppose that is true! :p

The most ridiculous part of all of this is nobody has researched the claim. If each blogger would just ask *one* developer who has his old and new contract to compare them (like I did) the whole rumor is proved to be crap! :D

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Seems like something of this nature would have the highest risk associated with it.

User builds up database of personal info. More and more people purchase program. Bug results in months of built-up data being erased. User's all flock for refund with valid reason (months of lost data). Deck of cards crumbles. Company goes bankrupt. Owner finds out wife has been cheating on him. Son indicted for beastiality. Toast lands butter-side down. Coward's way out seems like the only answer. Your body is found dangling from your ceiling with your pants soiled. Note was left on your iPhone using your software, but was erased due to bug.

10. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Odd that you didn't get the email. Anyway, in iTunes Connect, go to your contract section, and there will be a new thing for you to choose at the top, which will present you with a new contract. You have to complete it by the end of this month.

11. #71 Mindfield, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    Yep. 100% bunk. I don't even understand how a "joke" like this could ever hope to have any longevity on a place like this where developers themselves read and post and can therefore report accurately about the new developer agreement.

Plus, there is no way in hell even control-freak Apple would ever dream up something as absurd as 90-day no-questions-asked refunds. Not even retail outlets have return policies that generous. They're typically 30-days, and there are usually questions, though typically formalities just to fill in the appropriate spaces on the paperwork. The requirement of developers paying back the 30% just pushed the joke too far. That's double-dipping, and while it could conceivably be explained away as a processing fee or something equally stupid, it just beggars belief in the first place.

I dunno if Kotaku is in on this, but they're stupid if they're legitimately buying into this without even consulting a single developer about it to corroborate -- which just about any developer would be happy to do.

12. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Got it, thank you so much :)

13. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    IF this were true... the app store would soon be a very quiet place.

90 days is an obsurd amount of time.
    A majority of the app store revenue comes from impulse buys which are driven from sites such as this.

If you suddenly give people the option to change their minds, what you do is remove the impulse factor and kiss good buy to the proffits.

I think the only way something like this COULD work would be to give people three lives a year for example. That way you can refund three apps... so if you REALLY don't like something or feel ripped off by it you have a chance... but it means that you can't exploit the system.

I think that perhaps this would also be more applicable for the apps that are priced at far more than they are worth (*cough KONAMI)

14. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Yea *cough KONAMI* I want my money back on MGST it stunk but anyways...

90 DAYS!?!?!?! WTF Thats wwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to long of a time more like 5 days and max

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Read the thread, it's already been debunked.

16. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    K soz....

I dont like reading the whole thing to find out the answer.......

Sorry

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Reading a thread before posting is probably a good idea. :)

18. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    yea yea yea I know but I dont feel like it right now.........

I;m sorry.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

20. carlo

carlo Well-Known Member

#80 carlo, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    24 hours only and so far no cost for the developer...