Apple putting the squeeze on iPhone developers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Varkman, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm not sure if you're trying to be sensationalist about this or what, Arta... But you really should read the rest of that post you linked before going off the deep end.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    no1 has answered my question........

How do you get a refund as of now?

Cause I want my money back on MGST.......

3. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

So let me make sure I understand:

Customer acts like a thieving cheapstake scumbag, and Apple's refund policy is to blame?

... and you don't think your account would get frozen / deleted faster than you can say "We are watching you, jackass" ...?

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm not being sensationalist. In my posts I said "if this is according to Kotaku".

That dev in Neogaf confirmed the presense of the new policy. However he then states that there isn't any detail one way or another, and he states what is Apple's CURRENT policy towards refunds (wrt to the game needing to be broken). Read the thread.

I was addressing the devs who actually think that Kotaku's depiction of the policy is actually a good thing.

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Did that work for the Android Marketplace? NOPE.

6. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

I don't know about the Android Marketplace, but you can bet that if Apple start losing a pile of money because users have found a loophole in the Ts & Cs that allow them to effectively steal apps, that they'll close it - even if they have to deny refunds of any kind.

Then we'll have something new to go bananas about.

7. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Normally you don't get one. You can write to Apple as it was described earlier in this thread and if your arguments are really good (and these should be better than "I don't like the game") MAYBE Apple might grant it.

And I think that's the way it will be in the future also. So no reason for all the worries.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Apple is not going to chop down their money tree that is the App Store. You people have nothing to worry about. I tend to trust the developer posting on Neogaf over Kotaku who has had a pretty hilarious history of posting skewed stories to generate tons of Digg traffic.

If Apple is going to offer refunds for broken apps, or apps with misleading/dishonest descriptions... I see no reason why the developer of said shovelware shouldn't be left holding the bag when it comes to paying for the chargeback.

Saying "Oh god the sky is falling look what a failure the Android store is!!!" is pretty silly. I don't know what would make you guys think that with how Apple has handled the App Store so far and going through everything on the store with a fine toothed comb that they'd all the sudden just start an unlimited no-holds-barred free for all of refunds policy without any oversight.

9. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    How do I write Apple? Via e-mial?

If this is a april fools joke I;m goona be laughing soo HARD!

10. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Are you sure you have read this thread, especially this posting?

11. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    Thanks

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Why read when you can just post POST POST? [​IMG]

13. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    OK, so we have already had a moderator comment on this topic, and yet it STILL hasn't been moved out of the "Games" section?
    Is this topic to do with with any specific game, let alone games in general? No, I think not.
    Can people PLEASE think about where they post topics... :rolleyes:

14. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    So, for those just joining, the moral of the story is:

Apple will indeed have a new 90 day return policy. It will be "hassle free with no questions asked" on products that are faulty/broken and represent a valid reason for refund, not "because I don't like it".

How Apple will deduce if a game is broken and what the threshhold is, is beyond me. Eg if a game has a glitch in one level that allowed you to walk through a wall, does this mean the game is broken and you deserve a refund?

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Wow, I had no idea this upset you so much. Where do you need this thread moved to?

16. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Eh yea? It pertains to the gaming scene, why would you not want to hear feedback from the gamers, as well as the devs, on something that might affect them both.

17. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Yes
    It's not a joke
    But does anyone else love that when apple makes a genius move, people get mad???

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yeah, I was leaving it in the other forum because of the universal affect the implications of this could have on both gamers and developers...

19. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Wow, I had no idea that moderators were meant to be so narky...

It's not this one post, per se, but rather the multitude of off-topic posts that just flood the "Games" forum, because that appears to be the only one people can be bothered to post in (and subsequently read from).

20. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    It's got nothing to do with hearing from both the gamers and the developers of games, but rather that it doesn't pertain only to the gaming scene, as there are plenty of other apps available in the App-Store that are not games, and this topic applies to those as well...

This is a topic for the Lounge...