Apple putting the squeeze on iPhone developers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Varkman, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Good times when April Fool's jokes were, well, in April 1st... :D

2. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

@Maythius Check your calendar. It's March :p

3. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    90 days is just too much though. We can only return store-bought video games at WalMart only if they are unopened, nevermind even getting to try them. There's barely any game (except for a game that has endless replay) that would be in my library for 90 days if that return policy applied to every console. Even apps like their famed Super Monkey Ball, I'd have that game til I beat all the levels, then ask for a refund. They are digging a grave here and devs are going to stop making games for this platform because of it. The only good thing is that we'll see no more stupid games, yay :(

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    How do u get a refund as of now?
    I want my money back on MGST.

5. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

90 days sounds like a joke. I mean, what would be appropriate? 3 days? At max.

6. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

Agreed. You shouldn't get to return a game just because you finished it. You can leg it through most Mario games in an afternoon and there's nothing wrong with them...

14 days would be enough. I very much doubt it will harm the platform though - Apple will be monitoring activity and if a user started requesting lots of refunds I bet their account would get flagged as suspicious and maybe even get deleted.

If lots of people started doing it, you can also bet that 90 day period will get dramatically shorter.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Well you know what that means: every single game bought from the appstore will simply be returned within 3 months after customers have played the hell out of it. Sucks for devs.

Apple: screwing people one soul at a time.

[​IMG]
    Watch out Goose! Apple's coming to get'cha!

8. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Yes. :(

9. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lets see.....

DLC, and know this!

Dang Apple get your act together!

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Well shit Apple kiss your game support goodbye. Keep in mind this is Kotaku so we still have to wait to see from devs if it is true.

11. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    You guys don't understand the concept of brilliant April Fool's jokes. They build them up.

The reason why I know this is a joke, because a guy posted this already and said it would be effective on April (hmmm suspicious) But the thread was closed because he had no sources.

I can Guarantee he went to Kotaku and fooled him into posting this unofficial news.

I can see it now:

April 1st 2009 Kotaku: "It appears that the 90 app refund policy from apple was just a rumor. Sorry for the misinformation."

I won't believe anything without a valuable source. This is just going to be a massive rumor.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#32 Eli, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    [​IMG] Keep in mind they also have no source on this aside from "We heard from someone." [​IMG]

13. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Maythius, I accepted this amended contract for paid apps a few days ago.

Note this is a contract, not a rumor or an April Fool's prank.

14. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    90 app refund policy...

HAHAHAHA I think you mean 90 DAY ROFL

that would be great if you could get money back for 90 apps....:p

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #35 arta, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    Usually when somebody commits this level of robbery, they stick a sawn-off in your face and tell you to fill the bag with used, large denomination notes.

Everybody down on the ground, nobody try to be a hero, it's only the developer's money, it not worth getting yourself killed for.

And Apple is these guys:
    [​IMG]

Seems to me you're this guy:
    [​IMG]

16. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

Hardly. The app store is the most developer friendly platform I've seen on a console or mobile phone.

You're surprised? You don't think this is the way the games industry works, or any other entertainment industry for that matter.

You need to wake up and take a look at the money machine you're pouring your dollars into. Sorry, but it doesn't love you back.

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You forgot to quote the more important part-

19. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    And there you can read: "However, there's no indication that Apple is allowing indiscriminate refunds, only that if a user requests a refund within 90 days AND it is granted, this is the case. To my knowledge, Apple does not give out refunds unless a developer has a broken product or flat out lies on the product page." I think this is the important point. Apple wants to be able to give refunds, but normally they will not do this.

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Dude, you are going to see NO money if this return policy is as Kotaku states. Most people who buy an app finish or get bored of it within a week before moving on to another app. With a 3 month policy I can buy every game in the top 100, get finish them, get bored of them, leave them alone pick them up and play them again, then freaking return them, get my money back and move on to the next hottest thing that would be out within those 3 months.

Even if I want the game, I could simply return it and buy it again later and return it again.

Have you seen the Android Marketplace? They have a 24 hour return policy and paid apps there are DYING, with the highest being around 5000.

Retail stores have a 90 policy, but they deal with products that have to be brought back unopened, as opposed to an app/ game that will be used for sure to or nigh completion within a week.

Highway robbery at its finest. Apple finds a way.