Apple laptop or desktop

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Green Tea, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Green Tea

Green Tea Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    I am buying a new Apple computer and looking to you for some suggestions. Would you buy a Apple desktop or laptop? Also does anyone know if the desktops are going to have a new model out soon and if so when?

2. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    this is not really straightforward, unfortunately. stalk macrumors.com, esp the buyer's guide section. that's a great place to get the rundown on upcoming products and current product cycles. the whole laptop line is new, so it's a good time to buy a laptop, though after a long wait, they're really not packing anything impressive under the hood. mac pro has not been updated since 2013. i'm on borrowed time with my 2009 tower, and hoping she hangs in there. there are no upcoming desktops announced, though rumor mill suggests there will at least be an updated imac soon. a recent internal memo from tim cook insisted that apple has not given up on desktops, but they certainly aren't proving it with anything on the shelves.
    all that said, you don't need a ton of gas to develop for iOS if that's your angle. you might want to look into refurbs if you decide to go desktop.

3. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    It really depends how you like to work.

I used to be more mobile, so I had an apple laptop.

Now, I'm less mobile and prefer the larger iMac screen.

4. Green Tea

Green Tea Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    I'm leaning towards the larger screen. I have access to a new smaller mac Pro so rather than buy the large screen Mac Pro I think it is better I buy the even large screen of an iMac. From what they are telling me the iMac is faster than the new larger Mac Pro. We are a few days away from Chinese New Year and there is a chance the prices will drop so I will buy then