Apple just shot itself- and the devs too!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cramzy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    i agree, its too much to expect a dev to constantly and constantly update apps, while it is nice, there's only so much that can be added, and more than that, they have to move on to a new project at some point.

2. bootant

bootant Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Junior Designer, Senior Coder, CTO, CEO, Chairman
  3. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hi!

Keep in mind that it might take up to 24 hours to appear in this list. Apple says it's 48 hours, but in my experience- it's less than 24 hours. So, be patient..you'll eventually show up there. Even if it's on page 148881 due to some bug in the AppStore (you know- these happen all the time).

Cheers,
    ILIYA

4. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    #144 bootant, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    if you carefully look at newly released games list it is really messed up. there are apps which were released a long time ago and these apps on the top. this a bug not a feature.

5. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    I saw some apps in with a future release date.

6. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Add a "Recently Updated" category. Problem fixed...

We would have never released the Underworlds 1.2 update for free under this model, it just wouldn't have make sense. This change is going to hurt the customer and the small/mid sized development shops in a pretty major way.

It seems at every step of the process Apple looks for ways to alienate the developers who actually made this platform successful. I really don't see a clear purpose for most of the changes that have happened over the last year, other than Apple has no real clue of why or how the AppStore is what it is.

7. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    @OneEye

Or if we go with conspiracy theory with big money involves... it could be that big development studio such as EA, GameLoft as they dont like the competition of smaller indie dev that flood the AppStore decided to give some donnation (=bribe) to Apple so they change their store policy to better suit their needs.

The worst is that I wont even surprise if part of some of the AppStore changes that happen since it open last year would be link to one of them. :(

8. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    I don't believe in any conspiracy theory. If we go this way we can start discussing that may be some aliens involved here or may be even free masons responsible for this mess :) Don't worry guys! The real "problem" with AppStore that there are too many developers who produce too many apps ;) This is exactly our problem! Read some classics about this problem :D

9. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Six months to update an app is not too much to ask IMO. It could a bug fix or something minor just to make sure that you care about you application.

10. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    how do you update a game which is a replication of a classic? i think it really depends on the type of game in question. i guess the worst case you could update your copyright string to include the current year :) but that isn't a very useful update. what about game engines that use DLC for level packs? you add levels; but, you don't update the game so to say.

when we worked on our gw_ series; especially the original versions - we received a tonne of feedback and we integrated it into the applications. hence we had a lot of updates in the early days.. once we had a few games out; we knew what people wanted and hence we didn't need to update as often - we ensured the features they wanted were in the games already..

- resume play
    - ability to play music in background
    - multiple control systems
    - high score submission

your 1st game will be different than your nth game :) mainly because you should have built a good base environment to work from for every new game (that; gets improved with every user comment)

if users found good ideas to improve our games - we would happily accept them and do something about it. but without that feedback; we are pretty much complete with those games - and, all new iphone / ipod touch users should be able to buy them for many years to come.

11. ddn

ddn Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Programmer by day but at night also programmer.
    Look behind u!
    Just noticed this affect today on my recently updated app. Very disappointing, the AppStore is broken as it is , now even more so.

12. ImagineNET

ImagineNET Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    #152 ImagineNET, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    I just noticed some developers found how to be listed in "the new release" in updating their application (Ranking and reviews are not affected) !

Eg: Animals Sound Machine in the family category ...
    Released: Nov 14 2009
    316 rating!
    First review: 22 Jul 2008.

Really, Apple needs to change the itunes developpers!

13. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I'm pretty sure the devs aren't doing it. There are tons of apps that are showing the exact same behavior, some from well respected devs even. The new release lists are just completely screwed up right now.

14. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

If the devs are doing it, they're being vewy, vewy quiet about it ;)

15. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    I don't understand why you guys are complaining here. And by the way, you really should try to sell something on the Android Market place or get into PSN/Live!, then I'm most confident you would be super super happy with the App Store and even the ever so long approval times.

Plus, your state of mind should be "oh it was great while it lasted" instead of "man, my entire business model doesn't work anymore because it was designed around a flaw in the App Store!".

I just know I wouldn't be making games if it wasn't for the App Store.

Just saying. And cheer up.