Apple Double Standard

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BumperStickerWisdom, Jul 7, 2009.

1. BumperStickerWisdom

BumperStickerWisdom New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I am a new developer who recently submitted two applications to the app store to have both rejected for offensive material. My application is a bumpersticker application and the offensive material, as shown by the app review team was the line of religious bumper stickers. Some examples they showed me were, "My God can beat up your God" and "Remember Jesus loves everyone you hate."

Now, my anger is that I was just looking at the Top 20 paid apps and number 11 is the "Top100 Lingerie models" by Jens, LTD app. Which I have no problem with, but my issue is that they show a woman in a wet tee shirt, that shows everything (breast/nip) on the third screen shot. This is available to EVERYONE to see.

As I said, I don't have any issue with the app, I wish them the best of luck, but I feel that there needs to be some clearer standards for app submission. Why is it okay to show a women's breast in a screen shot, but not use the words Jesus INSIDE the pay program?

Anyways, I just had to vent and see if anyone else had any feedback.

http://bumperstickerwisdom.blogspot.com/

2. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Yeah I know what you mean but I see their point... religion and lingerie are different kind of material that may be offensive or not to people. I wish I made a lingerie app in the entertainment category.. its all lingerie and gun apps. Way to go iphone client base. This is most likely teens buying this crap. I can pop out an app like that easy and probably better than some of the apps up there but I don't want to lower my standards... its "flooooooodddeed" with crap right now and sadly my app falls in the entertainment category. I might switch categories I don't know. Sigh.

3. ddn

ddn Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Programmer by day but at night also programmer.
    Look behind u!
    Apple shys away from controversy. Selling bikini/lingerie apps on the iStore will not raise any eyebrows at all, but if some relegious person takes offense to an app and causes a stir (ie bad press etc..) that is much worse in their eyes. Also it's very much open to the interpertation of the reviewer I'm sure.

-ddn

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #4 Kamazar, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    Like ddn said, everyone, even religious people, have gradually let erotic material into their lives. No one cares cuz it's everywhere. Billboards, magazines, movies, TV, food, beverages... Sexiness is global (except for the Middle Easteners and their hijabs).

Religion, while simply a way of life in most countries, is different here in the good ol' united states of america and the f***ing stupid idea of political correctness. "Oh my god, agh! I mean, gosh, you're islamic? You're special, but also one of us. Catholic, you're the same as the muslim dude, but different, but AAAAAAH! PLEASE DON'T SUE ME PLEASE!" I mean, first it was the court cases on how someone sued McDonalds because the frickin' coffee was too hot. ADOY! Now you can sue because, even though religion isn't suppose to be taken into account in the legal system, you can sue because someone mentioned a religion you don't like, CUZ WE'RE EQUAL DAMMIT! Ugh.

Speaking of which, can I claim to be an atheist and sue the US government because it says "In God we Trust" on the currency?

[​IMG]

EDIT: Apparently not, seeing as the court's not as establishment of religion. So I guess these cases get twisted around going towards the human rights movement?

5. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I know. I see this all the time. People's apps being denied while the LAMEST stuff gets approved. Sorry to hear that, hopefully your next app doesn't have any issues.

6. BumperStickerWisdom

BumperStickerWisdom New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Yeah, it just makes me mad because I can understand if the comments we something instigating, and making fun of a certain God or religion, but I purposefully choose ones that were funny and more serious. It just seems to me like Apple is being a little chicken, especially since the rating for it was 12+.

I can also see the point if it was a free app, but since it was paid, you had to intentionally buy the app to see the material. So, you knew what you were getting into. I would equate it to paying for HBO and how they can show different things than the free channels. You know what you are getting, if you don't want to see those things then you don't buy them. Or you set your parental controls higher (or they can have me set my rating to 17+).

7. iReview

iReview Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Actually on that penny it looks like: In God we Rust

8. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Mostly because this is the 21st century and staring at tits is still something relevant.