App update problems?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by gac, Mar 5, 2009.

1. hazmat95

hazmat95 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    my apps did that for like 30 min then they went back to normal

2. aerostarp

aerostarp New Member

Mar 10, 2009

I tried touching the app icon on the iPod Touch but all it does is dim slightly and then come back. It will stay frozen. I wish it was that simple. Any other help? What is the Apple phone number to call? Thanks.

3. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    If an app is really stuck, could you delete it from the phone (press-and-hold on phone to see the X, or uncheck it in iTunes and re-synch) and then delete it from iTunes as well? (Warning: you'll lose any settings or data--like high scores--of course.) Then go to "re-buy" it on iTunes and I THINK it will be offered for free since you already paid. Download a fresh copy and you may be all set.

4. aerostarp

aerostarp New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan: it is not the iPhone but the iTouch. Can it still be done via the computer? Still looking for Apple phone number to call. Anyone?

5. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes. iPhone and iPod Touch work the same. You can delete apps on the device OR using iTunes.

Just connect the device, and choose it on the left side of iTunes. The tabs across the top will include Applications. Uncheck the ones you want to remove from the device. Then click Sync to carry out your changes.

Deleted apps will STILL be in the main Applications area on the left side of iTunes (under Library) so you can put them back on your device at any time (in their original downloaded state--none of your scores/data). Just check the box in the device's Applications list and sync. The app will be back on the device. (This is the same as music in your library: all songs are kept in iTunes, but only some songs are on your iPhone.)

If the app still fails, I'd delete from the device AND then delete it from yout iTunes library too. Just choose Applications on the left under Library (to see the big grid view, not the checklist), click the app you want gone, and hit the Delete or Backspace key.

Remember which apps you deleted, and get them again from the App Store--they SHOULD, if I remember correctly, be free for you to re-download fresh.

6. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I have also experienced that on my ipod touch. I have two accounts in itunes, one American and a Canadian one. As you know that messed up the updates. Today, I got some updates from itunes. I hope it is going to keep working.

7. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    The problem almost disappeared for me over the weekend. Much better, anyway. I occasionally still get one or two alerts for updates I already have. I tap the "Updates" icon again and they go away.

8. aerostarp

aerostarp New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Hi Morgan:

My son tried your suggestion last night but it did not work. Oddly enough, when he came home from school today and turned on his iTouch it corrected itself and now the icons are useable and not frozen in the download. That lasted 3 days - guess that is a new record.

Thanks for you help. I really appreciate it.

Aerostarp

9. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Ya, I HATE this! I hope that apple will fix it in an update soon.

10. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    One thing I just realized: it's not happening quite as much as I thought: some of the "old" updates really ARE new. (Some, not all--the problem is still real.)

New updates sometimes appear with really old dates (took 'em a while to get approved?)--such as today's Remote update, for iTunes 8.1... dated last July!

A couple other updated dated in late February I had been rejecting... now I realize I really did NOT have them already.

11. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I have the exact same issue as Aerostarp.

My Modern Combat download (awful idea to download it on my iPod) is backing up 5 other downloads because it's stuck. The icon is blank, and says loading, but it's been loading for hours now, with a wifi connection.

12. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    everyone stop saying your ipod isnt JB :mad:

it doesnt matter if it is or isnt....

13. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    i have to download it on my ipod, computer harddrive got wiped clean, cant sync anything to my computer :(

14. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Do you know how to bring the icon back?

Usually, when downloading it shows the icon faded while installing and loading. It shows a dull white color for me, on like three apps waiting to load.