iPad App update abuse

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lynch, Nov 12, 2008.

1. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    have you noticed that some developers abuse the app update process
    One app I notice that constantly has "bug fixes" is fuzzle
    First the developer pretended to be a girl by hiring a model
    And how many bugs can that game have that it needs bug fixed every week

Consider it deleted

2. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    In the OP he mentions an example in "Fuzzle"

3. Oops! Must have missed that :D

4. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    I'm confused.. how can updating an app be abuse? It doesn't get the dev any real publicity nor does it push it up the AppStore list.

5. #6 wastedyuthe, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
    It does give the app publicity when you have people like myself who keep up to date with updated apps via RSS. And it does indeed push it to the top of the list in the app store. I went into Games, then Action, and straight away I saw at least a few apps that have been out for ages, but are on page 1 of the list because of their recent updates.

NOTE: I am in no way saying that these apps are abusing anything. I am just saying that updates to get pushed to the top of the list.

6. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    i use the Rss, but i notice it more on the wifi app store update section,
    cause i am always checking for the latest release of AutoMangle or new features for Galcon
    and I always....Always see Fuzzle...and everytime it is "Bug Fixes" ...every week
    i get tired of downloading it....every week

its just annoying really

7. Have you noticed any others Lynch, or does it always just seem to be Fuzzle?

8. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    the other updates i see as updates

but looking at fuzzle's activity @ http://appshopper.com/games/fuzzle

Code:
    Nov 10	Version 1.3.4
    Nov 07	Version 1.3.3
    Nov 03	Version 1.3.2
    Nov 01	$1.99 -> $.99
    Oct 29	Version 1.3.1
    Oct 20	Version 1.3
    Sep 25	Free -> $1.99
    Sep 24	Version 1.2
    Sep 24	$1.99 -> Free
    Sep 18	Free -> $1.99
    Sep 14	Version
    Sep 14	$1.99 -> Free
    Sep 07	New App: $1.99, v1.00
    i dunno,

but no i haven't seen so much update activity on other apps

9. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I won't name names but there are several companies that excel at gaming the system, and I only expect this to get worse...

Right now, the App Store on devices only lists 100 or so games, and sorts them by recent updates. I can tell you from experience that getting onto one or more pages on the device significantly increases sales, and the less a user has to scroll the better. Forget ads, forget blogs, forget reviews - getting on the device equals sales, and little else matters. Given that, it doesn't take a marketing genius to conclude that a release-a-week will improve your bottom line.

10. Good point Frank. It might seem a pain to have to keep updating if you have the app, but from a business point of view, I can see why they do it- whether it's the right way or not.

11. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    How about the Tunic Guitar developer. Three price updates in one day!

Nov 10 $74.99 -> $59.99
    Nov 10 $64.99 -> $74.99
    Nov 10 $84.99 -> $64.99
    Nov 06 $59.99 -> $84.99
    Oct 06 $64.99 -> $59.99
    Sep 24 Version 1.2.0
    Sep 08 $49.99 -> $64.99
    Sep 07 Version 1.1.2
    Aug 30 Version 1.0.1
    Aug 28 New App: $49.99, v1.0

I hope that the bug fixes are actually tested out by Apple and that Apple will curtail some of this activity - if there are no bug fixes in the update. However, some developers may want to test the app at different prices to determine the price that the market will bear - and that price may change over time. Hey, even stock prices of companies change on a daily basis, so the value of an app changes depending upon demand. I don't have a problem with devs providing updates if updates are actually being provided - and Apple should verify that. With respect to price changes, I have no problem with devs changing prices. If your app isn't selling, lower the price! If it's selling too well, raise the price. Although maintaining a set price may be best in the long run (since if you're a developer known for lowering the price of your app, you will have plenty of users waiting for the price reduction before they buy your apps - and very few sales until you reduce the price of the app). The only thing that I would NOT like to see would be Apple putting a freeze on prices for a specific amount of time. That is against a free market economy, and developers should be free to reduce or increase prices in order to sell their apps.

12. mek

mek Well-Known Member

price changes, you can change in the metadata without apple reviewing it

updates require apples time to review the code for malicious behavior
    so theoretically, these updates could be slowing the process for other developers to be releasing useful apps

but to each their own

the app store is a new market
    it has its flaws, but its benefits outweigh those...hopefully
    and it can only get better right?

13. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Maybe Apple could give the developer a warning if the update is not valid. I can see the point that the updates may slow down the admission of new apps onto the AppStore, so I definitely don't want to see that. At the same time, some of the updates have made some apps much better, so I definitely do not want developers to stop tweaking their apps.

One way to do this would be to have separate categories for Updated apps and Price Changes on apps. So people who want to see those apps with updates or price changes can do so. And only the New apps will be introduced within the normal apps categories. Another way would be to have an option to see All Apps, Updated Apps, New Apps, and Price Change Apps within each category (similar to what arn did with AppShopper.com). Then the user can choose what he/she wants to see within each category.

Again, some of the updates have been great, so I definitely don't want to see any changes in the App Store that would detract developers from updating their apps. I would rather dig through the updates in order to see the new apps. I usually use AppShopper.com anyway, so I can go right to the apps that I want to see.

14. kwigbo

kwigbo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Flex/iPhone developer
    Actually just updating your app does not push it to the top of the list anymore (It used to). You have to modify the availability date in your apps information. This system is very flawed in my opinion. I submitted my free app for review in the end of september. It passed in early october but the post date was still for september since I didnt realize I had to change the availability date to something more recent. The result was that I was a couple hundred apps down the list on the first day in the app store. I believe my app could have made it to the top 100 free apps if it had been given a chance at the top spot in the games category. This makes me wonder how many apps are in the app store that suffer from the same problem and just get lost in the shuffle. I have found that outside advertising is next to useless and without that initial spot at the top when first submitted you can count on just a trickle of sales/downloads. Another thing, I recently changed my availability date to November 10th and it now says November 3rd. What's up with that I don't know.

15. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    We had the same problem... going to make sure we set the availability date to probably 8 days after submitting it just so be safe on our next game.

16. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    It's back to Earlier_Of_Two(Approval Date, Availability Date) again. The problem I last encountered was that my app was approved last Thursday and only showed up in the App store yesterday. So naturally it didn't even show up on the list even though I kept changing the availability date.

17. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Yea, we had this status of "Ready for sale" for a few days... frustrating! :eek:

18. mek

mek Well-Known Member

guess who got another update

i think i am going to delete this as well...it is getting annoying always downloading it

19. mek

mek Well-Known Member

here is what i am going to do, to warn the developer to stop continous bug updates

review it with one star saying stop updating the game every other day