App to help me find my Ipod Touch around the house?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by icantsleep, Mar 23, 2009.

1. icantsleep

icantsleep Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Every once in a while I misplace my Ipod Touch somewhere around the house. It's usually somewhere simple like in my coat pocket or hidden under a piece of paper on the kitchen table, but it always takes me way too long to find the thing.

I wish I had an iPhone so I could call my device and play Marco Polo with it till it is found, but I cannot. The closest thing I can think of to do is send it an email and hope I hear the tiny email notification beeps sometime within the next 15 min.

I'm wondering if there is an app out there that could somehow trigger the email notification sound to play repeatedly to help my find my phone. I have the 2nd gen Touch so music playback or the alarm could work too.

I don't even think this sort of app is possible (without push or apps running in the background) so I highly doubt something like this exists.

So is there an app that can help me find my iPod Touch when it goes missing?

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Not really for an iTouch. Maybe put a key finder device on it (for finding your keys, sold at the sharper image). That app ATM is not possible.

3. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Dang good idea, you should hook that up with a developer :D

4. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i agree, that would be nice all though i never lose it because its always in my pockets there is occasionally that one time were i leave it somewhere, it would help for that...

5. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Wait till 3.0, hopefully someone will make it. I'd pay $5 for that app if: 1) it worked well,
    2) used little battery life, 3) activated automatically when the ipod screen goes to sleep, 4) ran in the background, 5) used both bluetooth and WIFI, and 6) could be found from other iDevices AND from an app on the computer.

6. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Hopefully with OS 3.0 there will be a way to use push notification to do what you're looking for.

I'm lucky though. I have the iPhone and it has an app like that built in to it. When I can't find my iPhone I just pick up another phone and dial a specific number and it make my phone make a noise till I find it.. It's pretty cool.

7. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Isn't there software to modify your iphone/ipod touch settings from your PC?

8. icantsleep

icantsleep Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Maybe with a jailbroken iPod. I really don't know.

Either way, I didn't think there would be an app that would do this, but it was worth a shot. Pretty sure it won't be possible until 3.0. I hope some Dev is working on one.