app store question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by lancexcrackers, Feb 28, 2009.

1. lancexcrackers

Feb 25, 2009
    Im going to be getting an iphone 3g soon w/o a data plan. I was wondering if you can still download games from the app store when under wifi. Because i wont be using the internet under 3g of course.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    it will cost a fortune to DL via 3G with out a data plan

If you DL via wifi it will cost nothing (like yoy wont need a data plan)

3. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    Yes. That's how those of us with an ipod touch download apps.

4. lancexcrackers

Feb 25, 2009
    once you have the app downloaded, you don't need 3g or wifi to play it correct?

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    nope. that's only with those old-school website apps. if 3G or wifi were needed to play, no one would get a touch.

if you're gonna download a lot of apps, though, or texting, I'd suggest getting a data plan.

6. lancexcrackers

Feb 25, 2009
    i have unlimited minutes/texting, so im fine there, its just i've got to be careful and just use wifi. I'm almost always around wifi anywase so not a big deal.

7. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    you should be able to tell them to block all data charges. There was a court case recently that said the phone company must provide a way of blocking extra unwanted data charges. But if you are just using an iPhone to use the gps, mic, vib, etc, without a sim card or any type of wireless contract, then there is no way it can connect to a cellular network without your permission(signing up for a contract).

8. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    Some apps do use wifi all the the time, not sure how many. I have not come accross that many(only 1), there are some that access wifi when they load up tho
    hope that helps

9. lancexcrackers

Feb 25, 2009
    thanks for the info. I do have at&t and im planning on just putting my sim card in, and just use wifi to browse the web/email and play some apps but thats about it.

10. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Scramboni? I know apps such as Goodle Earth and Last. FM need wifi, along with many others. The majority of apps though don't need Internet.