App Store Quality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by doodlejumper, Sep 8, 2010.

?

How has the App Store changed in the past year?

1. A lot better.

79.3%
  2. A lot worse.

3.4%
  3. Can't tell.

17.2%
  1. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Do you think the app store has improved in the past year in terms of games? I looked back at my wish list from last year and half the apps I really wanted back then I find really crappy now.

2. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    of course it has, if it hasn't then the iPod Touch can't be a real game system. the more time devs can spend with it, the more they can find out what they can and can't do. plus, apple is releasing new iPods with better specs all the time, and more streamlined operating systems. think of it like a baby, as it gets older, it should learn how to do more things, grow and develop, and if its not, then its a broken system.

3. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Agree with ibitf, and also more devs equal = more games = one of them is bound to be an improvement.

4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I'm gonna go with what these guys are saying. It just needs improvement to keep up as a gaming console, and it's certainly done so. Just take a look at the Unreal Engine 3 running Epic Citadel. That's some impressive technology.

That said, I don't think I look back at most of the games that I really enjoyed a year or two ago and think how crappy they are. I enjoy games from over a year and a half ago, even a couple from back in 2008, like TouchGrind (which has never left my iPod), Brothers in Arms 1, Hero of Sparta 1, and TNA Wrestling.

5. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Well I said some, not all. I didn't mean to give that impression. Sure a lot of last year's games are still awesome. Soosiz, Rolando, Aqua Globs, Edge, Scrabble, Battle Bears, Sonic 1 and 2, Crash Bandicoot, etc. I'm talking about some of the games like space shooters and such.

6. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Of course it's improved. Especially since the iPad and iPhone 4 were launched. Now we're seeing more detailed games with better graphics. Epic Citadel was a major landmark, IMO, and a sign of better games to come.

7. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I'll definitely agree with you on that. Some of the games that were mind-blowing and thought to be impossible on the device, such as Modern Combat: Sandstorm, have become somewhat commonplace. That said, I do look back and appreciate what advances games like those made in iDevice gaming.

And then there are others... which I just look back at and wonder why I ever bothered to buy in the first place (Prey, anyone?).

8. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Yep, Prey certainly wasn't the best game on the App Store, like Archetype's little bro.

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, the thing is it was a pretty decent advancement at the time. It was the only decent FPS back then, and despite it being an overall crappy game (which, admittedly, it was), it was just fun to have an FPS on your MP3 player or phone. If it had come out sometime in 2010, no one'd even give it a first glance.

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    The App Store is hit and miss. When it's bad, it's really bad, and when it's really good, it's damn good.

11. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I'd say overall it has improved, but the games that are being pumped out vs the games thare worth playing are still at a terrible ratio. Just for me anyways...