App Store in December 2009...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BulletDev, Dec 10, 2008.

1. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    What do you guys think the App Store will be like one year from now? I personally think there will be over 20,000 apps (not exactly a good thing), higher quality titles like Bioshock and SMB 2 that sell for over $9.99 (maybe $14.99?). Also, I'm guessing Apple will continue fixing and adding features such as "gifting" apps and merging "Pro" and "Lite" apps together into one page.

2. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
  3. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Dude chill! You just posted this a couple of minutes ago.

4. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    :) OK, I shall chill.

5. razorianfly

razorianfly Well-Known Member

Redeeming of App Store promo codes must come to other countries, they just have to. Apart from that, the obvious expansion, with new categories and (hopefully) easier ways of distribution. :cool:

R-Fly

6. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA

That is too funny. Lmao

7. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I think everything you said is quite obvious except I think we will be looking at much more than 20,000 apps.

The store is a huge success. I wouldn't be surprised to see many high profile developers try their like with the iphone. I would be very surprised to see nintendo release anything.

8. RaNd0m

RaNd0m Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Think competition will get very stiff and developers will bring out really high quality games and lower the price so they can compete with other games (great for us but its gonna suck for small developers).

9. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah that does make sense, but I really hope we see something from Nintendo (even though they have the DS to focus on). Just think of how much money they would make!

10. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Definitely more than 20,000 apps. We passed 10,000 in only 5 months since the App Stores creation, and with the rate at which they're being added, and at which developers are exploring the new system, I predict we shall see 40-50,000 by this time next year.

11. razorianfly

razorianfly Well-Known Member

Exactly. Nintendo know how much money they could potentially make from just one port of one of their classics - this is why we will see Nintendo debut on the store. (well .. I possibly, most probably, definitely hope they do).

R-Fly

12. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    40-50.000 ... it would be insane...
    I cannot see how it will be possible to be successful anymore unless you are a huge company with outstanding marketing power!

For the DS competition is crazy already and most are developing junk licenced games for 20k a pop every month, still there are around 3000 games for 50millions customers

We are definitely going ahead of huge problem!

My guess is Apple will start filtering apps very soon or force smaller game to become free to avoid drowning the larger games..
    or whatever, it's not a really good thing to not have any visibility on a market ahead of 2 months...

let's just hope for the best!

13. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    If Apple does filter applications, we probably won't see 50,000, but now that I look back my guess of 20,000 was far too low.

14. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin
    Im guessing that the getting to 10K this quick was partly because the goldrush was on and a lot of developers from other platforms are dipping their toes in. It will likely slow down some so we will be lucky to hit 30k applications, as if SkyMarket and Android Market exist and grow the developers will spread back around...

The average price point will go up, with some really good applications that are in longer development cycles that will finally be ready will help with this. Hopefully cross promotion, trials, better organization, coupons, and more of the marketing tools come around....

Interesting.....

15. dwsolberg

dwsolberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I would like several things, most of which I think are obvious.
    1. Dated reviews of applications.
    2. More subsections of the store items -- like classic games, racing games, etc.
    3. A genius feature based on what applications I've bought.
    4. Video previews of applications.
    5. Instead of "new" at the top, it should be a customized "new" section based on what I've bought.

16. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    As above, if they introduce genius to the AppStore, that will massivly change it. It would be a pretty good way to filter through the apps you consider crap too.

Although there are 10 000+ apps out there, the amount of them that are actually good, or highly polished is much less. I don't think/hope this number will increase at this rate for as long as a year either.

IMO there needs to be a base line to how polished your app has to be. We have seen too much shit dumped on the store, and it seems this crap sells like hot cakes. With a standard bar, this could be fixed and heaps of apps could be deleted. There needs to be a 'rating' system that sites like this one (and its users) can undertake. It shouldn't be just overall stars, but be a whole range of things like graphics, lifetime, enjoyment, etc. Users could try out pre-release lite versions, then submit their ratings to the main site, who then submit the average to Apple who can have a base line, so that anything below a certain standard will not be submitted. It would also give users a direct way to talk to the devs before they release there app, to give them ideas etc. This will also drop the amount of updates required.
    If something like this is undertaken, the quality of apps and games for iPhone would massivly increase.. Any thoughts?

17. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    whats more important is whether springboard will be updated with more pages or categories before the press starts harking about app overload

18. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    I hope to see some bigger sports games like Madden or MLB on the iphone. The device might work great with the touch screen. Maybe Sega will finally bring some more games except Monkey ball and the sharty Columns game (hopefully some Crazy Taxi).

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    as categorization is right now I would be lost without Touch arcade and appshopper, however miss one full 24 hour period and see just how lost you become. There definately has to be a better browsing/search system.