App Reviews

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Calvini, Aug 17, 2012.

1. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    The TouchArcade party doesn't require a GDC pass. Just a company business card or a stray cat. I live somewhat close to SF, so I just showed up for the party. :D

2. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Oh that's awesome. Lucky for you to live so close! I'm in ny so I have to plan it out lol. One last stupid question. How can I find out when they are having the next get together?

3. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Not sure. TouchArcade posted something a few weeks before GDC last time.

4. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    qpawn, would it be some sort of taboo if I asked you what your sales pitch looked like when you submitted your APP to TouchArcade?

I'm just wondering what a really convincing Subject title would look like.

5. PodCubed

PodCubed Active Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Australia
    Ah, I wish I was in SF for the party. Maybe next year - You better have partied hard :p

6. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Great question Calvini. I would love to also know that :)

7. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    In the email to TA, we linked to our upcoming game thread, but I don't think there was anything fancy about the press release we sent out. They knew our company story from talking with me at GDC and WWDC. They also had a beta version of the game for a few months, so they already had an idea of what the game was all about.

8. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    #48 Calvini, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks for sharing qpawn. I'm probably going to be posting something in the upcoming games thread quite soon. Hopefully it'll garner some interest prior to releasing the game. I'd like to invite you guys to check it out once I have something to show. :)

I'd really like to thank everyone who's been helping out and answering all my questions. Hopefully some of my questions would have helped other developers as well.

The one problem I have right now is that I still can't get into the private developers forum. Not sure who I should be contacting or not sure if anyone has been checking for new apps to the private developers forum. I guess TA seems to be quite busy.

Did you guys create your upcoming games thread before submitting your game to apple?

9. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    I finally got accepted there a few days ago. I think it's just a matter of waiting.

10. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    You also have to have at least one app already on the app store.

11. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    We created a thread with a sneak peek trailer and game details a little over a month before we submitted.

12. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    Ah, that's probably why I can't get in.

Does anyone else know if there are other forums out there that are similar to Touch Arcades developer's corner?

I'm trying to find other websites similar to Touch Arcade, where I could promote my game on their "Upcoming games" forum.

13. pat3ck

pat3ck Active Member

I would suggest if you could contact a number of app review sites. Here's a list of different app review sites: http://maniacdev.com/2012/05/ios-app-review-sites/

Make sure you pitch your app well so that they'll consider it for review.

Hope it helps!

14. FlowStudioGames

FlowStudioGames Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Co-Founder
    Europe
    How to approach journalists

I have recently published on our blog couple of tips gathered from 3 interviews with games reviewers. Maybe you find it useful:

1. Be sure you offer the right information to the right journalist. Do some research and contact only those who are covering your business. Don't expect response. If your topic is interesting the journalist covers it often without contacting you back.

2. The first 5 seconds are essential to get the journalist to pay attention to your message, so put some extra effort to email subject and the first sentence of text. This is a one time chance.

3. Press releases and emails should be localized in journalist's language with his/her name in the greeting. Don't be lazy and get your press release translated!

4. Be very, very brief, a few sentences are usually enough to deliver the key message. The maximum text length should be three paragraphs, also avoid PR bullshit (“We are the one and only, best, great, epic story, etc.”).

5. No image attachments, please! 2 Mb pictures will definitely get you on a spam list. Add only a link to your website gallery or attach one small low-res image if it is essential to communicate some features of your product.

6. No press releases in PDFs! The best way is to insert your press release to email body or to send it as Unformatted Word document. Journalists won't be impressed by even the most creative and colorful Word template. They've already seen (almost) everything. And they need good information, not coloring book.

7. If you are iOS developer and you have a paid app, use redeemco.de to distribute promo codes. Only the most desperate journalists will ask you for a code. Save their precious time and send the link for instant promo code download right away.

GOOD TO KNOW

Journalists are looking for trends. If you fit into a trend, tell them. Journalists are looking for interesting people. So, if you've done something interesting, something that is really worth reading, tell them.

Journalists are looking for interesting stories. So, if your app is being used by American Idol, tell them. You may also try to create truly interesting story, find some unusual connection, create anything unique.

If you can tell the journalist something interesting about the marketplace / the pond you're swimming in, it will definitely make you more interesting.

Passion goes a long way. Persistence helps, but there's a line. If you push too hard you might get blocked.