App Reviews

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Calvini, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Also worth noting we started sending out emails doing the Facebook and twitter and YouTube thing a month before the game came out and through the release. Even bought ads on the big sites!

2. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    #22 Calvini, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    Well I hope your new changes will garner you some more attention, I took a look at your game and it reminds me of old school Balloon Fight, a really fun game. :) I'm not sure if a lot of new generation gamers would understand how awesome that game is. :)

I have a question though, when I first looked at your trailer, I had trouble trying to figure out on how you would go about controlling your balloon character. I didn't read any descriptions or anything, I watched the trailer and had some questions on how you would go on about trying to play it.

Have you tried getting some peer reviews for your game? Like people on these forums to try and see how your game is like? I find peer review to be highly important (I'm not sure if you have done any of this, I'm quite new to this website).

When I finish my game, It's going to be a freemium model, and I'd appreciate any sort of peer review. :) I don't plan on just contacting large review sites, but I also plan on contacting a lot of individual bloggers and get some input.

I think these kind of games we're making have to really spread through word of mouth, meaning you'd probably have to contact a lot of the small guys, before you can start contacting the larger more established ones. I'm just guessing though, because this is pretty much going to be my first time trying out all these great advices. I've just been doing a lot of researching so far.

3. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    You we are definitely balloon fight inspired! It's balloon fight with a twist and an "updated look". But it plays the same. Tap the action button to flap your arms and create lift and use the d pad or joystick for left and right.

I did have some peer reviews. Actually a lot. For the most part the comments were positive and they enjoyed the game. That's why we have 55 five star reviews :). The game is fun! They did comment on the background graphics which is why we are updating them along with some of the other art in the game. So that should bring the quality of the game to 100%. The music and sound is perfect and the gameplay is tight. Achievements are all in there and are fun to collect.

We will be releasing a free version along with the updated graphics and controls so look out for it.

Yea freemium seems to be the way to go especially for us little unknown guys.

Research is easy to do but to put it all into practice seems to be a whole different animal than what the research tells us. It really seems to be driven by luck or who you know. That has been my experience so far.

Let me know when your game is done. I'll dl and review it for you in the app store.

4. ColeyWoley

ColeyWoley Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Artist, Disparity Games
    Did you release on iOS only? We found it a lot easier to get reviews on the android sites. Not sure why, really.

Might be worth getting someone to write a good press release for you? And target smaller sites and sites that are happy to promote indie games.

5. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Yea for now it's iOS only because of limited resources. If the game does well at some point then we can try a droid release. We'll see how it goes.

For now my focus is on releasing the new art update and a free version. Then we will start reaching out again to sites and blogs like you said.

6. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    #26 Calvini, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    I actually have another question, has anyone here been able to get Toucharcade to review any of their games? If so, would you be able to share the process or show us your game? Thank you. :)

Also, would this be the section of the forum where you'd advertise your game?

7. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    I would assume some of these guys know the editors or owners or something. Think of Mikey shorts. Not only did they review it but they did a hands on video as if super Mario bro 2016 just came out. Lol. But I don't know if the editors associate with us low level devs or if they even read the forums. I could be wrong. But when Mikey shorts came out they said in the article it was made by guys from our forums.

If anyone could shed some light on this I know everyone is interested. I surely am!

8. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    #28 Calvini, Oct 3, 2012
    Hello Balloon Loons (Catalin right?), thanks for replying. :) I hope more people who were able to get reviews from here would be able to respond. I'd like to see a wide range of games from indie developers like us who were able to get their game reviewed. I just wanna know what they did and how they were able to do so.

I'm curious but did you try advertising your game here on the forums as well? I'm wondering would I do that on the iPhone and iPod Touch section?

I'm extremely new to this, I'd just like to receive as many feedbacks as possible. I'm still working hard on my game (along with my talented group of developers). I hope to show something soon to the public (possibly around late October). I'm really excited about my game, and I know most developers feel the same about their first game. I just want to make a good first impression when I start sending out my game for reviews. As you know, first impressions are usually the most important! So I'd prefer to get all the nit-picky details from as many more experienced indie developers.

I also applied to the private developer forum. Hoping to get accepted.

9. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I have a feeling the Touch Arcade staff looks at the Upcoming threads and then hunts for those with the most responses/views for a starting point. They want people who visit to be interested in what they write, so having an upcoming game with lots of interest is a pretty good way of forecasting that.

Once you have that, it might make it easier for you to pitch TA on an exclusive.

Just a guess on my part.

10. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    #30 Blackharon, Oct 3, 2012
    While it may be true that they do get some of their reviews from the upcoming threads it's not a requirement.

Both of my games have been reviewed, and both games have had almost attention in the upcoming thread.

The best thing to do is send them a FANTASTIC pitch to [email protected].
    The subject and first 2 sentences of your email are the most important things you'll write to any reviewer. I wish I had the link where I learned this still... but I found it on the forums here so it should be searchable if you're determined enough.

Edit: Wow... so the link I was looking for is earlier in the thread. Sorry - I just realized I may have just repeated things I've stated before... This topic pops up so often I didn't notice!

Have a clean, professional looking press kit. Eli tweeted he loved this blog post and it's what I'm using.

And of course, have a interesting game that has something writable about it. Yet another angry bird/tiny wing/bejewelled clone with no twists or improvements on the formula will have little chance of anything written besides the weekly release round up.

11. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Forum member [member=26436]mikeg123[/member] and I created [thread=149287]Mikey Shorts[/thread] after meeting each other in the Hook Champ thread in early 2010. We battled on the leaderboards as enemies, fighting each other for a top spot. We ended up joining forces at the end of the year to form BeaverTap Games. He had some programming experience and I had moderate artisic skills: the perfect recipe for attempting to make our own game. :p :)

Development was slow in early 2011 as the game wasn't our primary focus. But we picked up speed in 2012 and managed to release the game around 600 days after we first started. :eek:

I went to GDC in March and met with a few of the TouchArcade folks to give them an early look at Mikey Shorts. GDC is a great place for developers to meet people and show off your game and tell them your story. We also received great feedback from other developers. We made some changes and, after extensive beta testing, I showed up at WWDC in June with a much improved game. We released a preview trailer in July and created an upcoming games thread.

After our game was approved by Apple, we sent out promo codes to as many review sites as we could about a week before our release date along with a Retro Dreamer-style press kit. We did the best we could to spread the word about our game and hoped for the best. We're very active on the forums and respond to as much user feedback as we can. :)

12. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my question, I'd like to especially thank Blackharon and qpawn for sharing your experience of what you did.

@Rainier: Would indie developers like myself be able to post our game on the Upcoming thread?

13. Rainier

Apr 16, 2012
    First off, I'd like to second your statement about Blackharon. He's been super helpful and generous with his time whenever I've had a question posted on the threads. Thank you Blackharon!

As for posting yourself, you absolutely can. That's what I did; I posted about my game on the Upcoming thread. I think a lot of people post their own games. It's a nice touch to be able to interact with the actual developer rather than have a company representative to go through. You know your comments are being heard.

14. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    In order to get reviews, would you need to have a website up and running in regards to your game? Everything so far that I've read is yes, you need one.

15. Rainier

Apr 16, 2012
    Probably. Or if not, at least have a press kit. Put yourself in the place of a reviewer: if you literally get 100s of requests for a review a day, would you rather review an app that gives you all the information you need in one nice place, or one where you have to do all the digging yourself? And remember, the reviewers have deadlines to meet too, so they're strapped for time.

The added consideration you give the reviewers by having a website or press kit (or both) can only help your cause. And in this environment where it's hard to get noticed, every little bit helps. I think ultimately though, it depends on how interesting your game is. I doubt an Angry Birds clone would get reviewed even if you provided them everything they needed.

16. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Qpawn. Congrats on your success! You bring a lot of hope to us indies!
    I wanted to ask. Did you guys have a display at gdc or were you just hanging out?

17. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    Thanks Rainier, it's pretty much what I've been guessing it to be. I'm working on my retrodreamer press kit with all the necessary information on my APP. I was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to just give them an attachment file with everything included already, or would I need to direct them to a website first.

I am going to have a website done, it's just that my game seems like it's going to be coming out sooner. I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the website to be done first or just give as much information about the game in an attachment.

I'll be hoping to be posting something soon in the upcoming thread. I'm just excited, but a bit over too excited. I'm sure many developers who've released their first game were just as nervous or excited as I am right now. Also, any bit of information is extremely helpful to me as I'm very new in this field.

18. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Definitely make a website. Even if just a simple page! Besides its required by apple to have a support site.

19. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Thanks, dude! :)

No display at GDC. TouchArcade hosts a great gathering for meeting people. You can also sign up for a separate meeting with them during the week, but those time slots go fast.

20. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Ok so I'm looking to go next year. Are you going again? Would love to meet up. Which level of ticket do you recommend buying? I see a few options. Which gets you in with toucharcade?

And btw thank you for the tip!